1997 F355 spider on Bat | FerrariChat

1997 F355 spider on Bat

Discussion in '348/355' started by audemars, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. audemars

audemars Rookie

Aug 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    John G
    Looks nice, one owner car. Anyone here familiar with it? Also says it's due for a major service. Any thoughts on what that would run?

2. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Call some shops in your area and ask them what a basic major would run there.

Baseline approx. 35-40 hours labor and the major kit from Ricambi at about $1500. That excludes any unknowns or while you’re in there costs.

The car looks nice. Original owner is great. Stickies need to be done. Good luck.

audemars likes this.
  3. sec16518

sec16518 Rookie

May 27, 2018
    $71,500.....not bad..

4. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
  5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  6. audemars

audemars Rookie

Aug 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    John G
    #6 audemars, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Really liked this one and I was in the mix but didn't win. Loved that it's a one owner car (maybe I'm overly hung up on that), relatively low mileage, looked good and inferred from the condition of little things like the tool kit and bags that the owner paid attention to detail and preserved things well.

I'm new here and still don't know what I don't know, but what concerned me was lack of service post 2010. From what I've learned here, I get it that there's only been 3-4k miles since then and that may fly on mileage even though it exceeds on time, but between valves, belts and the engine out service (with whatever they may find), I'd rather play it safe and buy a more expensive one that's up to date with service.

The more I look into this, the more I realize that the 348 is probably right for me. I'm a crappy artist, but since I was a kid, if you ask me to draw my ideal car, it's the 348 Spider. Love the sound, love the look. Market seems to be relatively cheap, coming down and I'll be waiting for the right one.

Interesting to see the f car love on BaT lately. Previously anything Porsche sold for a 10-15% premium and Ferrari for 10-15% discounts, but recent auctions seem to be well bid. Guess a LeFerrari auction will do that for you.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The fact that it needs a major means nothing if it's not blown up yet.

INTMD8 likes this.
  8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Real strong money for a car in that condition. It's shinny but it ends there. Driver's seat left bolster has dye warn completely down to bare leather. Center consul is a mess. Air bag corners are pointing north, rear bumper pretty sand blasted behind tires, according to write up dash needs to be recovered, center instrument panel needs refinishing (what else?), no mention of last major, but records show last was on Jan, 2008. Hey, so belts can go 10 years. Told you so. :p

Very strong money for a car that needs at least $10k or work.

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It means money Dave. :D This car is not as nice as it looks when you look close. As I said, strong money for the car.

drbob101 likes this.
  10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I disagree. Yeah, most are sticky - ask me how I know :) When sellers say that are not sticky, they are ;)

It's low milage. It's one owner. The seller did a good job of pointing out the flaws (transparent seller). The paint chips behind the wheels is normal. Post of photo of yours John :)

I do agree with your estimate of cost to sort it. It's not 6 years ago, John. Softer market today but still stronger than before and I can search your posts when you said so if you like ;)

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Dave, you're a good friend, but you are really flip-flopping on this. In the past you have torn cars like this apart. It's not that nice a car. And I don't agree that 16,60 mile sis low mileage. Sorry. As for sand blasting behind the wheels, I have almost 28k on my car and it's not even close to looking like that. Maybe the guy drove around in the desert.

Now if you want to see a nice spider look at this. Under 10k miles. I know it well as I almost bought it in 2012. It had 7600 miles back then . It is an F1 with Fiorano package. (brakes, suspension, etc). https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1120&zip=06447#listing=219367565

Pictures of the blue car from BAT below. Just a few things. $71,500 is strong for that car. Not disputing the market is heading up. I predicted that months ago. But, also as I said recently, belts are good for 10 years easy. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - me flip flop? You are the king my friend:)

All of those issues are minor and correctable. You can't role back milage or number of owners which has value to many. Also, it's a really nice color that is not on the market every day. So, if someone is in the market and wants that color, it's very worth the price and adding another $10K as you say (and I agree) to sort it.

I hate to break this to you but many buy on emotion and not resell value. This car has the bones to be a pristine example with short work.

This is coming from a guy that has zero interest in spiders ;)

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I personally hate spiders

If we are talking insects

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Again, I'm not saying it can't be made nice, just that it isn't that nice now. Realistically, if you add everything up I'd revise my estimate to around $17k work needed: Stickys, dash, seat, bumper repaint, major,

5-6 years ago, that would be a $45k car, tops. That's a big move to $71,500 today.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Ah screw it. Looking around maybe spider prices are getting into the $80s and $90s for nice cars.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Flip - flop :D

17. audemars

audemars Rookie

Aug 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    John G
    $15-17k in needed work was my estimate too (casually checked around and no surprise that Boston area repairs are more expensive than say, Detroit). At $85-90k for 355 spider, then you start getting into "would you rather buy a Testarossa" territory... ;)

johnk... likes this.
  18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    A TR is a very different car and a dog compared to a 355 :)

97 Spider likes this.
  19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #19 johnk..., Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    No, I still think the car isn't that nice. And just to be clear by what I meant by flip-flop, it wasn't long ago that you would be all over a car like this pointing out the flaws. So I guess I starting to think like you. :eek: OMG!!! :D

By the way, my car has almost 28k mile son it and the rear bumper isn't nearly that sandblasted. Hard to see from this shot though.:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. LmnsBlu355

LmnsBlu355 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jordan S.
    I have the twin to this car but all issues on mine have been addressed , 14k miles(Headers, Valve guides, Cats, Stickies, Majors up to date). I guess maybe prices are on the rise.

21. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Good to see that BAT is bringing this kind of price as they are usually on the lower end of the market. I'm not selling mine anytime soon but i like to see this pricing. So were does this put your average, well sorted, current major, local concourse platinum condition spider? Maybe $85 - $90K? Sounds good to me.

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'd be more interested in where it puts a clean, no issues driver with 20k to 30k miles.

23. Deadshort

Deadshort Rookie

Sep 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    t
    Like my car.......

24. VroominNJ

VroominNJ Rookie

Sep 28, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    James
    So I’m the sap who overpayed on BAT but I thought that was par for buying a Ferrari. The car will be sent to Ferrari of Denver for anengine out before I drive it. I’ll probably send the buttons out, as well.

I clearly paid more than I wanted but the single owner piece gets me. I spoke to the guys mechanic who Manages his collection (including a Formula Ford and Formula Atlantic Race Cars, he was driving his Model 3) and he addressed a lot of my concerns.

A good number of chips alsonexplain the low miles- he moved to a dirt road and it pained him to drive the car over it. Gave me his personal contact info and asked that we stay in touch.

All advice is welcome, some might even be taken.

emac, Dave rocks and Julia like this.
  25. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    ...or maybe 30k - 35k miles? :)