Euro spec 308 passing SMOG in Cali | FerrariChat

Euro spec 308 passing SMOG in Cali

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian2here, Sep 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian2here

Brian2here Rookie

Sep 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Sullivan
    I saw some old threads covering this topic but they're, well, old. Maybe there's some new ideas out there? I'm looking for a nice 308 and I really love the Euro Spec ones. I almost bought one back in '09, that guy would put the CAT exhaust on for the test, which was still a big chore and an all-day job for the tech getting it to pass, and then he'd put it back 'right' once it had passed. To me, that would be worth it. But is that all there is to it? Any risk it wouldn't pass at all, or pass only with some crazy exhorbitant mods or something that would force me to just sell the car? What's new in this area?

2. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ca does not want carb. 308’s in the state. I moved to AZ, which loves my car and does not require smog. Last time I did smog in CA it cost $$$$, and six months to pass. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Brian2here

Brian2here Rookie

Sep 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Sullivan
    OK no carbs, but what about later Q.V./FI model?

4. Brian2here

Brian2here Rookie

Sep 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Sullivan
    Ok no carbs, but what about the later QV/ FI model? Say 84 or 85? Any hope?

5. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I bought my Euro 83 out of California, was not eligible to even be tested also signed a dmv document stating I would never drive it in California

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    To register a Euro-spec car in California it must be fitted with complete emissions systems (exhaust and evaporative). Then go through specialized emissions compliance testing, which can only be performed by a registered emissions compliance lab ( I think that there are only two left in the whole state). Then after mounds of paperwork and multiple trips to DMV and BAR will the car be able to be registered in California. Modification and testing costs can exceed $30K.
    We had a customer trying to get a Euro-spec 355 into California. He had spent in excess of $35k and compliance was still not complete. He finally sued the compliance lab. I don't know the final outcome, but it probably was not pretty.
    Either get a a Euro spec car that already went through this process back in the day, which has a BAR sticker on it. These will be very rare and expensive. Or buy a Euro spec car and register it out of state, (like Montana). Then take the risk that you don't get pulled over by a smart CHP that will wonder why you have a California licence and a car registered in Montana, which could end up very badly.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    These are the only two compliance labs in California. Call them for a quote for the conversion and testing process:

California Environmental Engineering (CEE)
    2530 S. Birch Street
    Santa Ana, CA92707
    Phone: (714) 545-9822
    Fax: (714) 545-7667
    e-mail: [email protected] ([email protected])

Northern California Diagnostic Laboratories (NCDL)
    2748 Jefferson Street
    Napa, CA94558
    Phone: (707) 258-1753
    Fax: (707) 258-1611
    e-mail: [email protected] ([email protected])

ME308 likes this.
  8. warrenz

warrenz Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Sweet S Ranch
    Full Name:
    Regis Bragg Stevenson
    I have mk e EFI conversion with Haltech controller,I really lean it out for gas mileage sometimes.$3000 and very tidy

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    This is totally illegal for smog on a California car. Why even bother mentioning it on this thread?

10. Brian2here

Brian2here Rookie

Sep 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Sullivan
    Thanks all. Ok, talked me out of it!!! I have plans to move to Florida in a few years, I’ll look for my euro spec then, unless I can find one here in ca already approved and registered.

11. warrenz

warrenz Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Sweet S Ranch
    Full Name:
    Regis Bragg Stevenson
    #11 warrenz, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    sorry I had no idea but as a Texan I get your response,best wishes
    I own euroqv for 28+yrs now
    euroqv w/mk e EFI passes everything it wants to!
    FORZA Motob

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Euro 308 dry sump...AZ registered for the first time in 7 minutes in and out of DMV...they didn't even want to see the car, and it just came over from the U.K.!

13. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    I do feel lucky to have a French ‘85 QV GTS that has been registered in CA since a few months after it entered the US in ‘85. I would be really lucky if it was a GTB and blue instead of red. It has a welded in CAT (not from Ferrari) and probably leaned out a little by the shop to help pass and it always does. Now I have it registered in a rural county so it never has to be tested again until I sell it. I like that it has a little more power, weighs less, and the euro exhaust sounds great.

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Converting to EFI or tuning to pass emissions is illegal? Doesn't seem like either should be.

15. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    I live in Florida and failed to appreciate the meaning of the BAR sticker on my ‘84 308 Euro that was imported by a CA resident. My 308 does not appear to have or ever had any pollution equipment including a CAT. Is that possible? Would my 308 be “grandfathered” and allowed back into CA without modifications?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Just For What It's Worth...
    Perhaps it is useful to say (again...) that euro 3x8s along the whole family range (carbed, 2 valve injected, QVs and 328s, all included) do not have any emission control device whatsoever: no cats, no smog pipes, etc: no nothing.
    So if jimgolf's car is an '"Euro" QV" and has a cat, that cat is not OEM.

Only the swiss 328s, starting in 1987, received cats and assorted devices at the factory, because Switzerland was not (and is not) in the EU and adopted emissions-control laws before the EU did. This swiss variant "328 with cat" was also sold in Sweden.

One country or two also asked the factory for cars with cats; for instance, it seems that Austria received a very small number of 328s intended for Japan originally, with the US/Australian/Japanese engine variant (= "X" as fourth digit in the VIN) because these had a cat. The tell-tale are the "JAP" identification letters for cars intended for the japanese market originally in positions 8-9-10 of the VIN.

Rgds.

ME308 likes this.
  17. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My opinion - if you really want a 308 I think you could be perfectly happy with a compliant one. You can mimic many of the cosmetics to make it look like a Euro by changing the bumpers and grill. You could even delete the side markers if you wanted to go that far. Install a Nuvolari or Tubi exhaust and enjoy with a valid registration in your name with your address and no headaches.

Just my two cents...

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    But you could not put the "euro" engine hood, with the two parallels grills of louvres each side of the plenum, instead of the 328-type hood of the US cars with the additional five row of louvres across the whole cover behind the plenum cover, as it would restrict the cooling airflow in the engine compartment.
    Nitpicking, I know, but...
    Rgds

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It would be easier to start with a NON CAT carbed car.

The original design relied on two sets of points, changing dwell (at idle) as well as air injection into the headers, via cam driven pumps.

Now to me, (as all this old tubing is long since rusted away) the same thing would be done with an electric air pump.
    Putting air into the headers allows the unburned CO from the carbs A/F ratio to be further oxidized.

I think Norwood once did the electric pumps, I did not dream it....
    Anyway, the proof is at the pipe tips, a well adjusted set of carbs, and air injection to get to the unburned CO they are seeking.

Texas does not test past 25 years, thankfully.

In Cali you would have to let them know your science is tight, and make the numbers.
    My car "made the numbers" in Texas, but you left it running waiting for the test and stuff was glowing hot.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is really it also, for the injected versions.

21. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    Buy a pre-1976 car, such as the 1974-1975 308 GT4... exempt from CA emissions requirements

The Kook Abides likes this.
  22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not sure about the original but air injection to the headers on the later injected cars only occurs on cold start for a few minutes after which 100% is directed to the cats. On the ‘84 and ‘85 models they don’t even use a pump, some sort of “pulse injection” however that works.