Carpet material for early Khamsin, and possible other models | FerrariChat

Carpet material for early Khamsin, and possible other models

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gopp, Feb 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    #1 gopp, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm looking for correct material to recreate the carpets in Khamsin #008.

The early Khamsins had a coarse grained carpet. I think all cars with the old style seats have the same kind, and only the new style seats and carpet where sold in the US. I post this in the Maserati section because the same carpet material may have been used in Indy or Ghibli.

The fuse on the carpet is there for reference. It's the regular size, not the mini fuse.

Any leads to a source for this carpets is most welcome.

Best regards
    Marius Sorteberg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    #2 gopp, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi there. Did you ever find a good source of carpet material. I am in the final restoration stages myself now.
    Richard

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have the same passenger compartment carpet in my Bora (last one off the line).
    LHM eats that backing away if you ever have a leak. The carpet fiber survives though so a non rubber backing might actually be a better idea IMHO.

010 likes this.
  5. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    As you are finding out the "agony and the ecstasy" of these cars is chasing down things like original carpet.
    You have my complete empathy and offer of good luck.
    This is a very rare challenge.
    I once saw a wooden box at the Bertone design center with a Khamsin label.
    Inside the box was samples of all the vendors and materials used when building the car including - yes - the carpets which looked exactly like your photos.
    Where is that box now? Who knows.
    You may want to start looking at the Bertone collection which has been sold and is now located near the Malpensa airport.
    Good luck my trident friend, you will need it.
    When I get home in a couple weeks I will look into it for you if you want to ping me directly at <[email protected]>

Ciao,
    FGM

010 likes this.
  6. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hmmm. Thanks. Does that mean "yes" you found a source? Or just a good imitation, which is likely my best route at this point..

My othe challenge now if finding3 the "right" leather. Color and feel/quality. None of this is easy...not inexpensive.... hoping to drive before tucking it zway for winter.

7. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks also Frank... I am almost ready to settle for a close version just to get the thing done. The carpet I consider temporary and easily changeable if need be. The leather on the other hand..... yikes..

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    That means that I most likely do not have a contact, but will look into it.
    Why not just contact Connolly and order the leather from them directly??
    They have a website.
    FGM

9. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks and yes. In fact I have.. they seem to be slow to reply. I'll be calling on Monday to follow up.

Being in Canada is a pain for parts and several international shipments. I'll post what I find. Cheers
    Richard

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Have a look through the Bora thread(s) and the Maserati thread in general. I seem to recall someone mentioning a source for this stuff.
    MIE too of course.

If it's just dirty you can wash that carpet with Woolite in a washing machine or a big laundry sink but be sure to make a strong stretch frame of the proper size to attach it too before it dries.

I managed to wash the LHM out of mine Bora under seat carpet but the backing was damaged.

Frank has a lot of contacts in Italy for all of these obscure suppliers. So you're on the right track.

11. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    In restoring my Bora i wasn't able to find the correct carpet however the leather was obtained in the UK.I had really good service from .Jake Freestone <[email protected]>
    The other place i sourced difficult to find items was Campana in Modena. Silvia Vaccari <[email protected]>
    Regards

12. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thank you. I have also now reached out to Jake at UKHide . Will share what I hear. I am looking for what Maserati called Senape as the colour (tan colour)
    R

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

13. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Some of my carpet is simply dirty but some is LHM'd as well. The biggest piece from the trunk however is fibre in many places at best. I think I will replace all and store the originals. Stay tuned. Thank you
    R

14. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Still no reply.. following up again

15. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi all. An update. Indie hear back from Connolly and UK Hide a little while ago. They seem to be Inn partnership... So will proceed. Cheers.
    R with an almost done 010

16. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    dumb question: what is LHM?

17. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Liquid Hydraulic Mineral .... Or something like that. It is used as the hydraulic fluid in the Maserati Khamsin. And perhaps some Bora (what is the plural of Bora?).. Borii :)

Brakes, steering, driver seat up and down and headlight lifts...... Are all supported by LHM system... Originally from Citroen cars.

The liquid must never be contaminated with other more traditional Fluids (damages the full system, seals, etc)

If It does not say LHM... It is NOT LHM !

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I haven't bought any in a while but there are plenty of alternatives to the original LHM that work just fine. ATF isn't a good idea though and brake fluid the idiotic mistake made by a few mechanics will ruin all the seals. Pentosin makes several that work just fine including LHM plus.

Here's a interesting thread discussion.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/93983-lhm-compatible-fluid.html

I've used the Castrol stuff for rolls and the Pentosin CHF 7.1 without any issues. It's in the local auto parts stores and chains here in NJ.