Pulled the cat from my 3.2 Coupe | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pulled the cat from my 3.2 Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mark C Harvey, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    My father still has a '66 MK2 Jaguar, in the family since 1983 - I grew up with it and love the smell. The fumes never bothered me, or get into the cabin while underway. The problem I am experiencing now reminds me of an old Datsun Bluebird station wagon I used to own, which had exhaust leaks that got sucked into the cabin while you were driving. Headaches, nausea, sleepyness etc. No fun. I used to go surfing in it, long drives, and I think I got sensitive to the toxins.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Try some VP racing fuel. Guaranteed to smell good. My best smelling motors are McCulloch MC91Bs running Castor 927.

3. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    I love the smell of racing fuel :cool:

4. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Yes the cat is installed on my car. I thought I might consider having it removed, but I would not want to change any element of the exhaust sound as it is plenty loud. Performance is fine as well for a grand touring type of car, and as we know these aren't stoplight drag cars. I have only driven with the windows up and AC running this past summer, due to the extremely high heat and humidity. I am hoping to get some good top down weather yet this fall. No noticeable exhaust fume smell is in the car while driving, but I do get that good classic car just being driven smell in the garage afterward.

5. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I DO enjoy the smell and have liked it for decades. My wife on the other hand... I work from my home office, so I am able to stick my head into the garage a few times per day for the aroma and also the testosterone boost of seeing my performance cars. Even on a rainy day such as the one we had today there is benefit from doing so. Perhaps that smell of gasoline, oil, grease, rubber, etc. should be bottled into a cologne. I'm sure someone already has done this. lol I do however wish that ethanol would be gone from gasoline, but there is always the option for sourcing pure gasoline or racing fuel as other replies have mentioned.

ronfrohock likes this.
  6. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    For whatever it's worth, I had a Hyperflow cat installed on my 3.2 coupe a few years ago to replace the OEM cat. No complaints.

Mark C Harvey likes this.
  7. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Top Speed is great stuff. Congrats.

Mark C Harvey likes this.
  8. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Talked to a local exhaust shop yesterday, was quoted $300 for a Magnaflow high-flow cat, including parts and labor.

9. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I did what you did a couple years back, and also switched back in fairly short order. The fumes were not good, the performance gain was likely on seat of the pants optimism - not real. No idea as I didn’t test or try to scientifically measure hp gain.
    In the end, the fumes and the harm to the environment were good enough reasons for me to go back to stock.

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Guys a question:
    Do I understand that MagnaFlow Universal Catalytic Converters, which are carburetor compliant are not using any sensors? meaning it is only a weld on Catalytic Converter and then it works?

If so then that sounds very interesting for me to look into this.

11. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    #36 Mark C Harvey, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Yes it will work. My stock converter has O2 sensor and thermocouple ports. The shop’s quote includes modifying the Magnaflow to accept those sensors. But with a carb car I understand you would not have to worry about that.

In your case the downsides to fitting a high-flow cat/cats are:

1. Loss of originality
    2. Very slightly quieter (mine was still plenty noisy WITH the cat!)
    3. Slight fire risk of catalytic converters. Not sure how this applies to the carb cars as the ignition system may differ?

A good idea would be to make an appointment with a well regarded local exhaust shop. They will put the car up on a lift to see how the cat/cats will fit, then give you a quote. You may need to consider the heat generated by a cat; heat shielding may be necessary?

Ultimately, it would be cheap to remove the cat and return to stock if you wanted to.

With a high flow cat there is no power loss. I’m not aware of any other negatives, but I’ll let others here chime in.