Mondials For Sale | Page 67 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I have an MSRP for 3.2 coupes as $73,200 (1987) I heard at the time the coupes were very slow selling as everybody wanted to get a convertible, perhaps that is what warranted the discount.

For perspective here is those values in 2018 dollars
    $166,000 MSRP
    $156,000 selling price

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    As you guys know, I was the high bidder on the 4200 mile 3.2 coupe on BaT.

The seller's agent finally contacted me this morning and said the owner would contact me today. I hope to work out a deal. It's exactly what I've been looking for. I'll keep everyone posted.

paulchua likes this.
  3. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Best of luck Michael. As a couple of us f-chatters have posted this would appear to be the exact car you’ve been looking for. If you can get it anywhere near your BaT bid, $46,000.00, you will have scored a fantastic deal imho. Keep us posted.

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  4. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    Good luck! Hope you land your grail!

paulchua likes this.
  5. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    I bought mine from BHCC. I do believe that they "flip cars" (sounds harsh), but they appear to be cars that the previous owner had a hard time selling or didn't want to deal with selling the vehicle themselves. My car had and still has some or all of the hallmarks of an aged Mondial, except the previous owner did do an engine out service. This is what sold me. They were very forthcoming with details once I showed serious interest. I also had a PPI completed. I still feel that I bought a pretty good car

paulchua likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yup nothing wrong with flipping cars. Your story is not the first positive one I've heard of BHCC. Glad to hear everything worked out for you !

7. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    2cam and paulchua like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    alexion likes this.
  9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    ^Agreed! Good luck Alexion. IMO, BaT is definitely the best venue for your car. I can honestly say that your car is the NICEST Valeo t that's been on there! ;)

The driving videos sound great.

2cam

paulchua and alexion like this.
  10. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Wow! The sheer number of cars that have been listed on BaT this week is crazy. There were 35 cars listed after yours within 24 hours of your listing. Unfortunately, I do think that it negatively impacts the amount of attention that a car gets unless its just something crazy and/or out of the ordinary like a Toyota 2000GT, a Safari 911, or a $1M + exotic.

It would be great to see your car get more attention.

2cam

11. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I believe that's business as usual on the site. They usually run around 180-200 cars per week, though to your point, there are a few extraordinary examples currently listed that you don't see everyday.

While some cars garner more attention than others, mine currently has 225 watchers, so hopefully some of them will converted to bidders. I don't expect many Valeo's to come to market while mine is listed, so maybe I fit in the "out of the ordinary" club. :cool:

paulchua likes this.
  12. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    sjmst, Wade and paulchua like this.
  13. Sabin Choksi

Sabin Choksi Rookie

Oct 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sabin Choksi
    Alexion, I would like to see the Mondial - how do I get in touch with you?

14. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Hi Sabin,

I sent you a PM.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  16. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I never liked aftermarket wheels on any Ferrari, but this seems like a brilliant idea.

"The car has aftermarket 7"x16" and 8"x16" wheels that look identical to the original OEM rims but without the issue of being stuck with the Michelin TRX metric tires".

Why didn't anyone think of this before?

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Most likely they're from Superformance, who's been offering these for a while. ;)

http://www.superformance.co.uk/mondial/wheels.html

18. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The MT Valeo on BaT did not get sold at 37K USD, but were you able to get in touch with a potential buyer afterwards? I assume the Valeo system and its rarity didn't help getting it sold.

paulchua likes this.
  19. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    After the no sale on BaT, I have 9 people contact me. Two admitted to not bidding because they didn’t want to drive up the price and pay a 5% buyers premium. The rest said things like “oh, I just missed it.” Since the car only reached $37k, I have been getting “generous offers” in the low $40’s.
    I’m not looking to hit a home run here. I’m not a car dealing looking to make my next windfall. I just want what I believe it fair market value for my car in its current condition and given its rarity. I know mine doesn’t have 500 miles so I didn’t expect $81k, but a high bid of $37k is absolutely ridiculous. I have more than that in maintenance over the last six years of ownership.
    If anyone is or knows anyone interested, I’ll work with them so long as it’s fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hypoluxa, rob and paulchua like this.
  20. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hang in there. Its the usual marginal offers after an auction. Bet a number of them are actually dealers looking for a good score. Let it age a touch if you can. A Valeo in that condition is definitely worth a good bit more than this range.

paulchua, rob and alexion like this.
  21. hypoluxa

hypoluxa Karting

Jan 6, 2018
    BaT results seem to vary wildly. Some days I think it's a great place to sell, other days it seems like there are bargains in plain sight.

I also think we're in the middle of a dip in Mondial prices. A Valeo in great shape should have people knocking down your door.

2cam and alexion like this.
  22. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    I think the rarity of the Valeo itself, and consequently the general public’s lack of knowledge of the system, may have contributed to the no sale. As far as I know the Valeo system was only available for the Mondial and that in very, VERY limited numbers. And as we all know the Mondial is not the most loved Ferrari. Combining those two “issues” I think contributed to the reserve not being met. That’s my .02 anyways.

Temple

2cam and Scaledetails like this.
  23. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    The Valeo is sort of a niche within a niche, so it may take longer than usual to find a buyer. That said, I would expect the right buyer to pay top dollar for this example.

2cam and Scaledetails like this.
  24. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I drove mine tonight after holding off for a couple weeks as to keep the stated mileage true to what was in the BaT listing (25,500). I added maybe 20 or so miles with a huge grin on my face, followed by a head shake to the skepticism and ignorance . I know it’s mine and I’m biased, but the freaking car is awesome. The shifts are so crisp and calculated that it’s almost unbelievable and the car is powered perfectly. Couple that with brisk fall air and you have a recipe for a fun drive.
    If it sells, someone will be very lucky to have this car. If it doesn’t, I’ll remain lucky to own and rack up the miles because there’s no point not to.
    The missing logic here is that there is no such thing as top dollar for these cars. They are undervalued by a ridiculous margin because of stupid articles that were written 35 years ago. What can you buy for $50k that compares to a clean, low mileage Mondial? End rant...it is what it is, but damn, these cars are so good looking and great fun and people are staying away because it’s not the winner of the popularity contest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2cam, matfo, Mark C Harvey and 3 others like this.
  25. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    These are all great points. Alex, your car is an exceptional example. However, I do believe that the you're struggling with the following:

• The Valeo transmission. It's cool and RARE. However, how many documented Valeo sales are there? Even with the rarity of the transmission, are they actually selling at a premium to other equivalent Mondials with the manual transmission? There may be buyer fears of the complexity and potential issues that could come with the Valeo transmissions that is putting a damper on their prices. Plus, there's the whole 3 pedal experience that many are seeking with a classic car.
    • Softening Ferrari market. As hypoluxa points out above, there seems to be a bit of a dip in Mondial prices. However, it's not isolated to the Mondials - it's 99% of the Ferraris on the market. Look at the classified ads on this site and see how long cars sit without being sold and the softening prices as a result. There are multiple factors at play, but IMO, it's probably being led by changes in consumer tastes, sentiments, and the economy.
    • Seasonal timing. This is a wonderful time of year to own a cool, classic car! However, sales do seem to start slowing down around this time.
    • BaT noise. While I don't feel that this has a broader impact to Mondial values in general, I do believe that your car was negatively impacted in its BaT auction by the sheer number of cars that have been listed recently. BaT has become increasingly "noisy" and it's difficult for a car to stand out and maintain attention unless it is something really over-the-top special or unique. As cool as the Mondial is and as much as our group loves them, they just don't stand out enough for a majority of buyers on BaT.
    Your Valeo is an incredibly nice Mondial. It just doesn't seem that the market is willing to pay up for an exceptional example with average miles at this time. I hope that you do keep and continue to enjoy it. As you mention, what else can you find for $50K that will deliver that level of experience?

2cam

Mark C Harvey likes this.