Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 65 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Brief follow up on sunroof info. The sliding shade under the glass is marked 'sky top' so I guess that is/ was the brand. The motor says von weise gear 12v but I still can't figure out how it's supposed to talk to the cable (the cable end appears cut) or how it mounts into the trunk. If anyone with a sunroof car can post a photo or diagram of their motor & cable mounted up I would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello bski7908...

I am enjoying your pictures, especially the one with the scraped floors. I have attached
    a picture of mine and where I am at.. The floors were a lot of work to get to the metal, especially
    removing the plastic stuff they used. It is not fun at all..

Is your sunroof factory or after market? I didn't think they had a sunroof option. Perhaps it
    is in the parts manual, but I never noticed.

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MrMark likes this.
  3. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    #1603 bski7908, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

Thanks Mexico074, that's great encouragement! A Jeep friend gave me the dry ice tip for removing the stuck-on panels. Mix it with some isopropyl alcohol until it's kind of a slush then spread and wait. Those panels should come off in big chunks.

I think my sunroof was a dealer option since most of the parts seem to be from American brands. Pure guess!!!!!! It seems like the motor pulls the whole cable jacket through the retract mechanism to operate the roof (i.e. the cable does not get pulled through the jacket like a throttle linkage). The cable jacket is metal and pretty stiff.

The sunroofs don't appear in the factory manuals.

4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hmmm... That's what I though regarding the sunroof, that it was probably a dealer installed option..

What are your plans for the floor? Now that I have pretty much scraped everything off, I need to decide what to do
    next. I was thinking of roughing it up with sand paper, then priming, and then painting! After that, use some sort
    of material under the carpet, but not sure what yet. Then again I could use some sort of insulating material like
    X-Mat from Eastwood.. I will say this about that plastic stuff - it did protect the floor very nicely, virtually no rust
    spots anywhere. There were some factory holes that were covered with small pieces of sheet metal, and this plastic
    stuff applied over that. Quite interesting actually....

Mike

5. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    I will probably need to replace my rusted factory drain hole covers & they look simple enough for me to make! I plan to apply some kind of thermal coating before the X-mat goes down. I would like to use Lizard Skin or maybe truck bed liner- anything I don't need a spray gun to apply. Between the paint and the acoustic insulation stick-on panels, noise & heat shouldn't be a problem.

Does your car also have the felt insulation panels glued to the exterior bottom of the car? Now I understand why this thing was so quiet!

6. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Aren't these drain holes there to be able to drain incidental water?
    And hole covers to avoid ingress of water from underneath?
    Actually, if no water would fall down inside, it would be better to glue plastic covers to tap the holes

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    The drain holes were interesting, as in my car they were covered with a piece of metal (now rusty) as bski7908 indicates.
    On top of that, they were covered with this plastic coating. This effectively kept the metal cover in place, but negated the
    hole from draining any water in my car...

I am thinking of using some kind of plug in the hole after the floor is painted. Then using some kind of material
    between the painted floor and the carpeting, pretty much the same as bski7908 indicates.

bski7908: No I did not find, or at least notice, any felt insulation panels glued to the bottom of my car. I did find this
    nasty material glued to the wheel wells located in the trunk and other areas of the trunk. I think this was a bad idea,
    as should it get wet, it will just retain water. I am trying to find an efficient process for removing it...

Mike

8. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    More on sunroofs: Mine has a "Skytop Power Moonroof" tag on the front channel that accepts the leading edge of the glass. I still can't find a model number for it but our theory of operation was correct and we were able to just hold the motor in place and let it draw the cable. Apparently these were hot items back in the 80s on luxury cars, here is a thread on the Avanti forums:

http://www.aoai.org/forums/topic/3550-asr-sunroof-repairsparts/

9. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    You guys have an interesting point because my rear-most drain hole covers were actually rusted in place. I didn't find them until the floors were scraped clean. If anything they were preventing the drain holes from doing their job? I might even just leave them out entirely since it gets very humid around here.

10. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I think the holes are for draining paint, not water. The attachment shows a 1960-or-so Valiant entering the primer dip. We have built a few bare shell cars from the '60's and the body manual said to use adhesive to install and seal the covers. These weren't Maseratis, but the QP3 was built at the modern Innocenti factory, so I would be surprised if something similar were not done. The holes don't make much sense as water drains - if you ever got enough water inside a sedan to need drain holes that big, the carpet and underlayment would already be soaked. Conversely, if the hole covers are loose enough to allow water to drain, then they would be loose enough to allow ingress of water when driving in rain.

11. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    @GLB: good point.
    Issue is that these drain holes allow humidity to be caught from underneath in rainy driving and stored by carpets or insulation, hence possible rust development in the long term.
    Easiest way to avoid that would then be to insert or glue rubber plugs

12. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
  13. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    Got some leaking rear shocks. Any alternatives to the MIE ones?
    Are the shocks servicable?
    It's basically an e-type rear end, but the shocks are different I guess?

14. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Quattroporte3 likes this.
  15. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Can you tell us some more about using dry ice to scrape off old residue? I haven’t heard that one before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Indeed it does. There are overdrives made specifically for the 727 trannies, might be something to look into.

17. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Mine was indeed cracked, at the post that’s hidden behind the mounting plate. If you go back in this thread, there was a guy that started 3D printing them and selling them. Seems the easiest route.

18. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    William had custom dampers made for the front, I’m sure the same shop could do the rear. It won’t be cheap, they’re fancy Öhlins racing parts.

MIE has them, I would also contact Campana in Italy, they usually stock them. Say hi to Silvia for me if you talk to them

19. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    MrMark likes this.
  20. rs2001

rs2001 Rookie

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcin Mroczek
    Hello to all fans of maserati quatroporte III.
    I am starting an adventure with this beautiful car and I hope that this forum will help me learn about its secrets.
    I have a Maserati 4porte 1981 vin ZAMBC1105CA301636. My first question concerns the intruments, namely the speedometer. Why is it only scaled to 80 mph? Thank you for your response

21. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    USA government regulations in effect at the time prohibited speedometer dials with any number higher than 85. The 55 mph national speed limit of the era was also required to be highlighted on the dial. More about the old here: http://www.classic-car-history.com/85-mph-speedo.htm

22. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Does anyone have a tip for removing bumpers if the big bolts are stripped? I guess they thread into a welded nut and I must have broken that weld with my impact. Bolts spin freely but do not back out. Thanks everyone.

23. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    Got a question, currently fixing one of my heads.
    I am planning though to remove engine, change bearings and piston rings etc.
    Any problems removing engine with heads in situ?
    Anyone know of a complete gasket set for the 4.9 engine?
    MIE seems to sell a lot of it, but I'd like a complete set.

24. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Photo of the acoustic/ heat insulation panels under the car. Removing this stuff was horrible; it was very brittle like drywall but at least it came off in big chunks.

MrMark likes this.
  25. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Photo of the wiring harness in passenger footwell. I don't think the black square box is factory so it is leaving asap. It looks like most of this will need to come out to clean up the footwell.

MrMark likes this.