Dario Franchiti drives Ferrari 512S (1006), Porsche 917 and Lola T70. | FerrariChat

Dario Franchiti drives Ferrari 512S (1006), Porsche 917 and Lola T70.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Oct 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Motor Sport Magazine Video.

Sig. Roma, NürScud and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder:
    always thaught the 512S has a V180 ° engine, like the 512 BB
    but when I see at 1:06 it looks like a V 60° or V 90 ° engine

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    60 degree V, 4 valve/cylinder.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for the info
    but it is a 5 ltr engine? because of the name: 512

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, 5 litre. 4993.53cc. Tipo 261C. Bore/Stroke - 87 x 70 mm. Dry sump. Lucas Fuel Injection.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    lucas injection? so a mechanic fuel injection, like in the TR6?
    never cared about this but interesting to know now. thank you

7. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I very much appreciate the erudition shown in this reply. Seriously. Very few books contain this sort of detailed information.
    I bet that there are many books about the 512S with many beautiful photos of whatever that do not contain this engine description.

I have often thought that a book about, say, every Ferrari V12 engine up to about 1970 or so, with such a detailed engine
    description --- or maybe even more details and photos --- with the cars that had that engine would indeed be
    a thing of beauty and a joy for ever.

miurasv and turbo-joe like this.
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Great video. Thanks for posting.:)

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Well you might (or might not be - don't know because I haven't seen a copy) be in luck: https://haynes.com/en-gb/ferrari-engines-enthusiasts-manual (better prices elsewhere).

10. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Video and the article (especially David Hobbs comments) made me appreciate the T70 a bit more. Apparently it was quite the breakthrough when it came out...

11. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I have already ordered it from Amazon, but it will not be released for another week.

I will report back if it does have good information.

12. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    The 512S engine is definitely pictured in it! And a nice looking one!

13. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Nice collection to have, to race all 3 of them. However most of the Lola raced today are brand new cars or massively rebuilt cars, unlike real 917 and 512. Although as said before there are less and less real 917 and 512 being really raced, those days, and more and more replicas being used for that purpose, so I guess they are all competing in same class!

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  14. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I finally received a copy of "Ferrari Engines, Haynes Enthusiasts' Manual". Here is a micro-review of the first few pages.

Page 12.

Caption for second photo down: ”The big ends of the steel connecting rods featured an oblique-angled split … ——“ No explanation for this is given. (As I recall, this was done so that the rod could be pulled out of the top of the engine without removing the crankshaft and so could be performed with the engine in the car.)

“Only two examples of the type 125 V12 engine that powered the ‘Alaspessa’ Barchetta and the ‘Sigaro’ 125S Competition, were built.”

I have no idea to what ‘Alaspessa’ and the ‘Sigaro’ refer. I do know that in 1947 a few 125 S two-seaters built, some with separate cycle fenders, were bulit, and that in its second race, Franco Cortetese won the Grand Prix in Rome. There were two versions of the engine built, the first with 8.5:1 compression ratio, the second with 9.5:1.

There was a 125 F1 in 1948 with a single-stage Roots compressor.

In 1949 the 125 F1 had a twin camshafts on each head with a two-stage Roots compressor.

The 125 F1 in 1950 appears to have the same engine.

So how could only two 125 engines be built?

Page 15: “the crankshaft … forged steel …”. This is nonsense. Ferrari crankshafts were machined out of a heavy steel billets from the beginning until many years later. I do not know which engine it was when Ferrari switched to forged crankshafts. Could someone tell me?