Potentially adding a 720 to my garage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Potentially adding a 720 to my garage

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by SoCal to az, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    My sales guy says that napier green is probably the toughest color for resale.

The telemetry cameras can also be used as a dashcam. I haven't tried it but I saw brooks from dragtimes showing him streaming a movie from inside the car. Not sure if the internal drive has to be part of the telemetry to do it. From a resale point of view, I'd say that it is important.

Just about everyone has a sports exhaust. Sports or non sports exhaust; you won't hear much of a difference inside the car. Outside it is noticeably different. The sound really changes when you are full throttle but sports exhaust sounds decent outside the car as you are moving up the rev range. Another thing that is imporant on re-sale.

And yes; it is difficult when you spec a car versus just getting one off the showroom floor.

My opinion only; if you don't care about moving up the ladder and getting up the line for say the 750 LT or other in demand models... then go the used route. (based on your postings about buying cars that are two years old). If you want to reserve the right to get the in demand models in the future then you gotta go new and from your local dealer. (or get them to get you one from a different dealer).

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What are your thoughts on Papaya Spark for resale? I was going to go plain white as I like that look but my wife really likes Papaya Spark. Not sure its worth the 9k uncharge over just Mclaren orange but happy wife and happy life.

I dont know about getting up the ladder for a 750- maybe I will, maybe I wont. But in looking at the resale market for 720s, there isn't anything I see that I really like plus I'm getting some ridiculous trade in offers for some other cars so I think going new is right for me. Just hope it truly doesn't take 5 months. hopefully a bit quicker but I'm patient. its fine.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Papaya Spark is my favorite stand out color for the 720S. Amethyst black is favorite for the dark palate and glacier white is probably best light color and safest for resale.

SoCal to az likes this.
  4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Why dont you speca new car and LEASE it.....this way you pay for what you owned and not worry about resale.
    It works for me.
    Good luck either way.
    I went for paint over carbon as in New York everything gets bumped or broken from potholes to high speed bumps.
    Good luck.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Leasing never made sense to me. But I’ll look at it for this.

I have cash ready to go so it’s not financial thing. Just trying to be smart with my money.

Anyways, I’ve relegated myself to a papaya spark with performance package, exhaust, lift, sound system- coming in around 340k. More than I wanted to spend but oh well. It’s only money.

6. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I'd be cautious of the CF interior options (esp on the 7xxLT when it comes around). While I like the look (I have all CF on my LT), its rattles and vibrates like hell. All those tiny overlapping pieces, vibrating with every RPM... I've resigned to accept it as 'character', but it still annoying character ;)

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m only doing the carbon that comes with the performance Package on the interior. I’m not a massive fan of carbon- just feel it’s over done on cars now.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The stereo and exhaust are the last items on my list that I have to get over. I have the upgraded stereo on my 488 and it still sucks. The exhaust sound I couldn’t tell the difference between the regular and sports.

I’m inclined to nix these two and save my 10 grand but am being told resale is an issue. Obviously it’s only 10 grand and not the end of the world but just hate being wasteful.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Submitted my order. Got all the items.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  10. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Did you get a delivery date?

11. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Great, now enjoy it!Try to blow it up! and then move on to the next!
    P.S. YOU WONT BLOW IT UP....
    gtjoey1314 Enjoy!

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    They are telling me 4-5
    Months

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Papaya Spark is beautiful, very nice choice. Congratulations.

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agreed it really stands out.

SoCal to az likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks guys. Getting excited

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  16. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    kingjr9000 likes this.
  18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Papaya Spark was what I was going to do when I was leaning towards doing a new 720. It is Mac Orange with a pearl metallic. I know of one that was available a few weeks ago.

When you are adding CF, I think the smart thing to do is to not put it on anything down low (rear diffuser, front splitter, etc). The reason being, in the real world, THOSE are the areas that WILL get rubbed.... and they are pricey!

I ended up getting a 570S w/a track pack in Mac Orange with extremely low miles for a great price. Previous owner specced it with just the right amount of CF, with none down low. Image Unavailable, Please Login

SoCal to az likes this.
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    All the weight savings comes from the ultra light wheels and bucket seats which you can easily spec for your non track pack 720S. The bucket seats save like 30+ pounds I think.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. Right now I’m getting stock wheels but might upgrade to the 5 spoke

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have my order placed for a Papaya Spark due to arrive in 5 months. However, through a friend of a friend, I just came across a 2018 with about 1500 miles in perfect condition with more options than what I’m getting for 35k less. Going to look into that route and see if it’s a legit deal and if the car checks out.

I really don’t care about moving up the ladder (at least I don’t think it do). I do well but I’m not a fan of 100k depreciation hits every year. My 488 which was supposed to be depreciation free has tanked. 329k MSRP. Got offered 240k by the Ferrari dealer. Umm, no thanks. Would rather just drive it and enjoy it a bit longer.

So let’s see what comes of this slight detour. 35k is 35k and it has every option I want and I don’t believe there is any difference between a 2018 and 2019.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Pre-owned is a good way to go, you can always order a new one if you want.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    yeah this just happened so lets see if its actually legit.

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Plus you can be driving it soon.

SoCal to az likes this.
  25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No downside to buying used. You’ll save money and get to use the car quicker. Go for it. I always prefer to buy some cars used unless there is some incentive for me not to.