Continental Autosports now Ferrari only? | FerrariChat

Continental Autosports now Ferrari only?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by jjmalez, Oct 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    It appears Continental Autosports are no longer a Maserati dealership. So now both Continental and Lake Forest Sportscars are stand alone Ferrari Dealers in the Chicagoland market? I understand Ferrari's plan is to increase model production 50% and build a SUV by 2022.

The US economy is still growing, Ferrari's stock (nyse:race) is flying high and things look good. Why wouldn't you want to sell as many Ferrari automobiles' stock shares and merchandise.

My question is this: what else besides Ferrari are these dealers going to sell when the economy cools off and the next recession hits?

IMHO

https://www.continentalautosports.com/

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Too many Maserati dealers.

However, Continental is still listed on the Maserati.com website. But, even if you don't count Continental, that leaves 6 more dealers in the Chicago area. That's a recipe for non-profitability.

3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I recently spoke with John W. Ferrari now wants all its dealers to just sell and service Ferraris. To continue to get new cars, the dealers have to follow the orders from the Factory. Also, Lake Forest Sportscars is now Ferrari Lake Forest. Rick M. had a very nice event this Summer to open the Ferrari only dealership.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  4. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Again, I wonder what happens when the next recession hits. Ferrari has removed production limits which will increase inventories and may risk alienating their core base with a SUV.

US dealers will only have one product to sell.

Joe

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The problem with this is most of those newer Maserati dealers are nowhere near as knowledgeable as Continental Autosports on Maserati service and parts.

Would be great if Continental group opened a Maserati/Alfa Romeo dealer, although the best people would still be at the Ferrari dealer.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well the new Maserati dealer on Ogden Avenue will be Napleton Maserati of Downer's Grove, soon to be Maserati/Alfa Romeo. Continental officially sold the Maserati franchise to them.

That means we stay the same count for Maserati but add 1 Alfa Romeo dealer to the area.

jjmalez likes this.
  7. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    It is a great question. I would imagine these stand-alone dealers will look to sell more preowned Ferrari's. Ferrari doesn't just plan to produce more vehicles but they plan to increase pricing on all new models significantly. Used Ferrari's are going to look like a bargain compared to new ones. When the next recession comes dealers will have to be more aggressive when purchasing used vehicles for their inventory and then sell for less as well. These dealers will still make a good profit on each car they sell if they are doing it right. If the economy tanks, I would rather have just one high-end brand to worry about :)

Personally, I do not think the introduction of an SUV (or FUV in Ferrari's case :) ) will alienate their core base. I assume many of the core base have an SUV or two or three in their stable of cars. If Ferrari hits it out of the park I imagine they will be among the first to order one. They really do not have "inventory" like other automakers. Now if they start building a considerable amount of Ferrari's without buyers lined up then it will be time to worry a bit...

8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Not that I currently have a dog in this fight, but will Continental still be servicing Maseratis?

9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'll let them answer.

However, it's been my experience in situations like this, that once their dealer agreement is terminated, they can no longer perform warranty work, even if you bought it new there. That said, you pay the bill and they will service anything and service it well.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Short answer is no.