F430 coupe vs spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 coupe vs spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Robby Johnson, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a spider but love the looks of the coupe. Never wanted a spider until I drove one with the top down. Driving the spider, I think, is more fun with the sun and wind and noise.

So I love the car, still hate the soft top and plastic window. But I don’t think about that when driving it.

The only other thing that detracts me from the spider is, sometimes, the red light conversations/statements.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I love the looks of both, possibly the coupe most, I have had my spider from new in 2008, drive it everyday to work in the summer, have had a few small issues with the cables popping out on the rear hood arms but fixed retensioned them myself, why wouldnt you get a Spider ?

3. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Rick - sorry for the late reply... I was making a 20 hour round trip to swap out my daily driver for a non-rust belt auto yesterday and didn't make it back until almost 6 a.m. today.

I'd be a little embarrassed to tell you how I went about becoming a F430 Spider owner (unintended auction win on eBay, no PPI, no first hand visual). All-in-all, I have no regrets and fortunately didn't wind up with a lemon. Our local indie mechanic sees lots of 360s and a few 430s and in discussing maintenance with him, there's no question that the evolution of the 430 resulted in a more durable and reliable design, so that's in your favor.

That said, the pictures the seller posted for the 430 I purchased really made the car look visually stunning and pristine (to me) when in fact there were a few cosmetic issues that I've probably spent around $2,000 - $2,500 so far, correcting after the fact. Not really a big deal in the end and to be honest I was so excited at the prospect of owning the car I'm sure it wouldn't have made any difference anyway. I just think it's always worthwhile seeing and driving any car you are buying if you can manage it (if you haven't already done so).

I can say, I get a lot of compliments on the color combination. In that vein, I don't think you will ever be disappointed. Good luck!

Rick M likes this.
  4. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    IslandBoy, shifter and 13DM like this.
  5. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I think it is a personal choice out of the 5 360/430's I owned, only one (which is owned not by another forum member) was a spider. I happen to think most cars look better (except certain Porsche's) as coupes. Yes, I do now have a Calf T, which I think looks better with the top up (which is how it is almost always driven). I guess I am spoiled from the past owning cars like Spitfire, TR6 & MGB. Little lightweight convertibles that were a blast to drive at any speed. Though you did need to know how to fix them.

7. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Can you share your experience with Algar? I have a 355 that is a manual top for now.

Thanks

Boaf

8. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I have read a couple of threads where people had issues with the top going down/up. With a coupe you don't have that issue.

9. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    knock on wood... I never had an issue

10. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    go through a brush-less auto wash and you will experience a horde of little angels peeing from the heavens.
    I wrote off a Lexus SC430 before jumping into the F430... that hard top was priceless incomparison.