Help with buzzing noise behind driver side 458 | FerrariChat

Help with buzzing noise behind driver side 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TCfromUB, Oct 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TCfromUB

TCfromUB Rookie

Nov 20, 2013
    I'm getting some pretty annoying buzzing/vibration noises through certain RPM ranges accelerating and down shifting. I'm brand new to Ferrari, have owned this 458 for 3 weeks. It was just recently at the dealer (2hr drive) for a few minor things including this. They thought they fixed it but apparently it was a different rattle they addressed!

I'm pretty sure it's interior based and somewhere beneath the area below I've circled. I thought about popping this panel and black cover to see if I could pinpoint it and add something to dampen/tighten. It this a speak cover?! I only listen to engine music so far so I'm not sure!

Any recommendations for how to go about exploring this and removing these panels/parts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes I am pretty sure that is a speaker of you have the upgraded JBL sound-system? I had the same rattle in certain RPM-ranges. Only solution so far that I've found working is to just press, push ot hit the damn thing and it will go away, and then come back later ;)

I think your tech can help you to tighten it up by putting som sort of plastic rubber material between the cover and the leather which should probably help if it annoys you too much.

TCfromUB likes this.
  3. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Ash patel is probably correct, i get something similar in my Mercedes

4. TCfromUB

TCfromUB Rookie

Nov 20, 2013
    When I press on it I can't make the sound change. Even sliding my fingers under it in several places so I believe the noise is coming from something underneath the panel!

5. Gonzales25

Gonzales25 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Mine does it too but it comes and goes and it's only at certain RPMs very weird, just haven't felt like having the dealer "investigate" to the tune of $170 per hour lol...

TCfromUB likes this.
  6. TCfromUB

TCfromUB Rookie

Nov 20, 2013
    Got it! One speaker screw was way loose. Buzzing gone. YES. Now if I can get this panel back on without breaking anything... lol

AClark and Ash Patel like this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    How did you remove the grills? I may have the same problem.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

TCfromUB likes this.
  8. TCfromUB

TCfromUB Rookie

Nov 20, 2013
    They are attached to the entire panel, so you just pop off the whole thing. Placed my fingers beneath the panel near the corner at first and gently increased pressure until it pops out. I should have taken more pics...

But there's about 7/8 plastic nipples/pins (not sure what to call them lol) where they attach in red. There are 4 metal clips/pins highlighted in blue, when reinstalling you might have to take the metal clips off the pins (if they pull out still attached) and put them back into their place before popping panel back on. In yellow, not sure if you can tell but that screw was a good centimeter loose! That was all it was...

AClark and Ash Patel like this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That’s very helpful. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat