VITALONI MIRROR | FerrariChat

VITALONI MIRROR

Discussion in '308/328' started by [email protected], Oct 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    I purchased aa set of purported VITALONI california "NOS" mirrors for my 308. I received them and don't see the VITALONI name or made in Italy anywhere on the mirrors. I see a name molded in that says "ARS Auto". Am I mistaken or are these not Vitaloni mirrors? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Looks like a knock off of the Vitaloni Californian. The plastic texture in the pic is not quite right from what I see.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The texture looks different

4. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Just to clarify, there should be no texture on a California mirror. Smooth satin black

Albert-LP likes this.
  5. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Thanks, that's good to know. The mirrors I bought are going back.

Albert-LP likes this.
  6. Toonfosi

Toonfosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2014
    Valley Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Chad Woods
    Just an FYI—Demon Tweeks has them.

7. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Am wondering what mirrors go on a very early 1980 GTB UK car? Should it be Vitaloni? What shape please?
    Many thanks, Andrew

8. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Carb car...Vitaloni Californian. In UK you may have had two at the time of delivery...one for sure on pax side and likely a second installed on driver side by dealer due to laws. Woukd love to hear other UK folks chime in. My '76 UK car has two in every picture going way back in time.

9. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This picture is on an agency site from way back showing this one only on the driver side. It looks like a baby tornado to me which I am going to buy two of and get rid of the later QV version which was electric when installed but no switch there now. Have to figure now if glass was flat or blue. My Dads Alfasud back then had blue and from memory a very similar housing but I am leaning towards old style flat and clear.

Hmmm, I wonder did a dealer or po it passed through since swap electric for manual in order to make profit?

10. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    Andrew, the mirrors I took off my early UK 1980 car has Vitaloni mirrors, and the mountings in the door are original and not modified which suggests they were bolted on in the factory. Safe bet then is Vitaloni. They are certainly going back on post paint.

Hope helpful

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard

Attached Files:

12. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Alex, Are yours flat glass and clear or are they convex and tinted? Hopefully you'll say flat and clear!

13. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Richard, I agree but the California look so much better that a lot will have been replaced I expect, probably when the passenger mirror gets added. I have the photos of mine showing the baby tornado so being the slave to originality thats what I am going for (but adding an extra)

14. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    When I viewed this car at a pre auction viewing session ,it was a bit of an impulse buy so came scantily prepared only bringing 20 years of 512 and 360 ownership experience to the party .
    First impressions of the mirrors was some sort of aftermarket retro fit thing from demon tweeks or similar.

I had no idea they were original fitment .I thought the “ California “ decals were a bit naff tbo!
    Plane and flat btw , but a 8ugger to adjust .

However now pleased they have turned out to be OEM 77 Italian spec 208 GT4

Funny as I did mentally put replace the mirrors with OEM ( if could find them ? ) on the to do list before bidding .
    How wrong was I ?

15. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Bottom line... it is the owner's choice on what to put on their Ferrari.

My previous owner put the baby tornado mirrors for better vision on the sides. He still had the original mirrors for me to put back on.
    I needed the correct ones for judging purposes and it is kinda cool to know these mirrors were used on the Formula One cars driven by Lauda.

1980 parts book Ferrari 308GTB by Eurospares UK tab 109 - just another data point

Again, it is the owner's preference.

16. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  17. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
  18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Whatever you do is ultimately up to you but, as far as I’ve seen, the Californians are the only correct mirror for carb cars (GTB/GTS). I also misspoke earlier... single mirror on driver side for all cars with second on pax side added when law requires. Also, euro cars have the mirrors mounted farther forward than US.

19. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It seems to me that the baby turbos work well in the rear position as OEM mounted on US cars whilst the Californian needs a further forwards position. The pillar gets in the way of visibility on the offside.

Hannibal308 likes this.
  20. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    If I had a square mirror on my 308, I’d want it hidden behind the pillar so I wouldn’t have to look at it.

vaccarella likes this.
  21. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    My USA spec 1980 injection has the Vitaloni Californians. The Vitaloni name is stamped in plastic on the bottom of the round plastic part that surrounds the glass. I accidentally broke one off last week and am looking for a replacement. They are flat black and have nearly no texture.

22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Mark, that's not the OEM Vitaloni mirror. It's more likely a repro

ciao