456 Manual (new owner questions) - advice please | FerrariChat

456 Manual (new owner questions) - advice please

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Willie_Paul, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Willie_Paul

Willie_Paul Rookie

Sep 4, 2018
    Pgh, Penna
    Full Name:
    Will
    20,700 miles now - full Ferrari service (F of scottsdale) 1 yr ago at 19,050 (prior to purchase); belts, tensioners, accumulators, motor mounts, filters, etc.

• when i drive hard or during very high ambient temperatures, the CEL "check engine 1-6" light comes on intermittently. sometimes, for hours on and then hours not on. other times, on for 30 seconds and then out for hours (after driving a while)
    • upon purchase both cylinder bank CEL's went on (but that was because they changed the battery just before I drove off the lot). i did a hard reset and "CEL 7-12" has remained off since then

I've searched on here and seem to see various reasons for the CEL light on/off, but was curious if the symptoms I suggest lead to a more acute response.

Two other questions;
    • does the "reverse gear circlip" hard shift precaution apply to manuals as it does to autos?
    • mine is a 1995 - what is a tell-tale sign of the valve guide wear issue? this car has not had that addressed at all/ever. is this something i need to do precautionary ASAP?

Thank you for your consideration of my questions and with time, I hope to ask less "newbie" type questions! sincerely. -wp

F456M likes this.
  2. Willie_Paul

Willie_Paul Rookie

Sep 4, 2018
    Pgh, Penna
    Full Name:
    Will
    After further reviewing some of the other "CEL" threads, I would like to add;
    my car runs "just fine" and never loss of power, nor roughly (even while light is on - and it has stayed on for 100+ miles at certain times)
    HOWEVER - my car always STARTS-UP roughly...always. in fact, it usually stalls after fully twisting the ignition to "on" position (no throttle being applied). and then I have to coax it by retwisting ignition key and giving a little throttle simultaneously (like you'd do on a carb'd car). i'll add that the ambient temp during all of this is low 70's F.

3. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Stumble starting is common but not stalling. I would check fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is fine then ignition. If ignition ok then injectors.

No experience with CEL but your cas has independent banks for fuel and ignition. You can swap the modules. If the problem follows the modules the. You have your answer. They are just in front of the doors under the hood.

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    when was the last oil change and who did it?

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fuel line check valves. They go bad, cause intermittent CELs and rough starting. To get to all of them requires removing the tank.
    I had the same thing on my 95

JayEff likes this.
  6. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    You need to read the cel code on that bank. There are instructions in the service manual. You hold down a switch near the ECU and the CEL flashes the code. I am chasing a very similar problem on mine and would be interested to know what codes you get.

7. Willie_Paul

Willie_Paul Rookie

Sep 4, 2018
    Pgh, Penna
    Full Name:
    Will
    Can you kindly direct me to the type of Code Reader I need to purchase or fabricate? I know these are OBD 1, but that's about it.

8. Willie_Paul

Willie_Paul Rookie

Sep 4, 2018
    Pgh, Penna
    Full Name:
    Will
    October 2017. The car had 50 miles on it when I bought it 4 weeks ago (since the oil change). Ferrari of Scottsdale did the oil change.
    Just to be on the safe side, I'll go back and double check that the oil was changed.
    however it was new motor mounts, belts, pulleys, etc. hard to believe they would not have changed the oil at that point!

9. Willie_Paul

Willie_Paul Rookie

Sep 4, 2018
    Pgh, Penna
    Full Name:
    Will
    did the CEL lights persist (and the rough starting) after you replaced all the check valves?

10. rviani

rviani Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron Viani
    OBD I codes can be read out without the need of a special tool - there is a button behind the vertical footwell liner on each side which if pressed in the proper sequence will allow you to readout the stored codes as flash sequences of the CEL light. How to do this as well as how to interpret the flashes is explained in the shop manual which I believe is now available on line.

The modules just in front of the doors under the hood are wired to thermocouples in the catalytic converters and will result in a "slow down" light if excessive temperature is sensed not a check engine light.

I looked at the parts manual and can find no check valves in the fuel line although there are various valves as part of the antievaporation system. I can't see how these would cause the above problems but perhaps - "cls" clarify what parts he is referring to and how they relate to the problem.

I have a 95 465GT with the same problem which appears to be a common one usually including a rough or no start on the first try and a normal start on the second. CEL is usually a "lambda regulation problem". I did lots of testing including electronic ignition analysis , fuel pump capacity and pressure testing, O2 sensor swap. and MAF sensor cleaning / swap and TPS adjustment. In the process the problem which was always intermittent disappeared - frustratingly not obviously tied to anything I did.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD EXPLAINATION / SOLUTION TO WHAT APPEARS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM FOR THIS MODEL?

11. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    That is the same thing with mine - lambda regulation problem. I have done most of the things you mention, but my next step is to change the coolant temp sensors under the intake manifold. Also, I recently discovered what appears to be fuel seeping from the fuel rail to one of the injectors, which may also be the problem so I am looking into that. If I figure out the problem, which is a big IF, I will post what it was. Thanks.

12. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    #12 carguy246, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2018

Attached Files:

13. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    Sorry, there are only two parts to the procedure. I posted parts of it twice. Hope it helps. The button for the right ECU is in the passenger foot well, just ahead of the door. You pull of the vertical panel and you should see the button near the top.

14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the reason i ask is that changing the oil, actually adding oil, to the 456 is a tricky thing.
    first off, you dont always get the full 11 liters out, more like 10.2 to 10.7 liters.
    the tank into which you dump the oil, is shaped like a stepped pyramid, with the result that if you are not careful, or you dont know about this, you can easily overfill the tank, and suddenly you have 11.5 + liters in there, and that creates problems.
    the oil seeps into the engine, the plugs, and causes havoc. cel lights go on, and all sorts of things happen. not easily sorted out either - you can drain some of the oil, but the seepage and havoc remains.

this happened to me on my own and the one i bought for my mother.

i mention it because it goes undetected sometimes.

15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    According to the techs at Ferrari LA, when starting the car, the check valves help to keep the pressure in the fuel lines to eliminate the rough starting.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think the problem, Will, is your stock exhaust. It's far too quiet.

:)

(I'm completely kidding. I know the Original Poster in real life.)

Matt

Jaguar36 likes this.
  17. Willie_Paul

Willie_Paul Rookie

Sep 4, 2018
    Pgh, Penna
    Full Name:
    Will
    Haha...funny. You need to actually drive your car to hear it though...

Smiles likes this.
  18. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Try this fort he CEL:
    First make sure all the plug wires are making good contact with the plugs and all the plugs a firing correctly.
    If all checks out fine, remove the corresponding air flow mass sensor and clean it with the appropriate spray.
    Drive for a few miles and if the light goes off it means it was dirty.
    If the light comes back after some time, it means it is time to replace the air flow sensors (because they are old and unable to self clean anymore).

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross