What are your favorite tracks? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What are your favorite tracks?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Feb 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #76 Ky1e, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Since starting this thread I've gotten a chance to try out a lot of tracks this year-- so I'd like to revise my earlier list. It's hard to say which is my favorite because different tracks offer different things but here are my thoughts:

VIR: Awesome! If I had to name one favorite, so far VIR would be it. Favorite part is the Esses through South Bend to Oak tree. Upper Esses until after South Bend are currently my favorite high speed corners anywhere.

Road America- Fast but safe. It seemed like you could push the envelope and get the thrill yet there are not that many areas you can easily damage your car. The only significant danger area to damage your car in an off was the Kink. I like that there are corners that test your braking skills and there are lots of turns that offer late braking/inside pass as a pass potential-- turn 1, 2 , 5, 6, 8, Canada corner. Beautiful scenery.

Watkins Glen: Fast with lots of camber, banked turns, elevation changes and grip. Has a different feel than most other tracks in a good way. My only criticism is there are not a lot of great passing areas, or more specifically hard braking turns (slower corner at the end of a straight) where you can get deep into the ABS and can late brake /take the inside line to pass. Turn 1 is about it and sometimes the bus stop. Most of the turns are higher speed corners that you carry speed through which is great fun but doesnt offer as many areas to pass.

Sebring: Another big boy track that separates driver ability. Lots of different types of turns, speed and exciting. Pretty hard on your car though.

Road Atlanta: Challenging, I love turn 12. Turn 1-5 very technical. A little short, and it can bite you if you push too hard. My main criticism is there are little too many potential car damage areas if you go off.

These next 2 are nothing like the above tracks and not part of my favorites list just adding some commentary...

Homestead: pretty blah and not too exciting. There are not many corners that test your ability.

PBIR: By far the worst track I've ever been too-- very boring. There isnt a corner on the track that gets me excited. So tame, so safe, and it seems to equalized all drivers regardless of ability. Turn 1-2 is about the only excitement on the track.

Tracks I need to try in the next year: Lime Rock, Laguna, Mosport (Canadian Motorsports Park), COTA (just to try it even though as an F1 track it is a little too forgiving), Mid Ohio, Barber. I'll be doing Daytona twice this month.

Manda racing and gatorgreg like this.
  2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    One word....IMS :)

3. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Spring Mountain........
    Surprised at no/so few mentions.

BOKE likes this.
  4. obryan214

obryan214 Rookie

Sep 2, 2018
    Tacoma Washington USA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Owe
    Pacific Raceways in Kent Washington formerly know as Seattle International Raceway is so far the only roadcourse I've been on but looking forward to trying the ridge near Shelton. I have way more drag experience at Pacific then road course but prefer Bremerton Raceway for that on the run what you bring nights since I can get a lot more passes there but its a lower quality track.

5. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Spa

LVP488 likes this.
  6. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    My home track is Watkins Glen but I also really like VIR, and Tremblant.

Mosport, Road Atlanta, and Laguna Seca are all on my bucket list.

Just recently had a chance to drive Club Motorsports (Tamworth) up ion NH. The track is magnificent (2.5 miles, 15 turns with over 250 feet of elevation). It's similar to Tremblant but with a lot more elevation change.

The problem with this track is that they're battling with the town over noise. The 92 dB limit is strictly enforced, there were stock GT3's being punted for sound violation. The track is also new so their infrastructure sucks. We had to unload our cars and keep the trailer at an entirely different location due to lack of paved parking areas. This was frustrating when trying to maintain your car over the course of a three day event.

We could also not get on track on Sunday until 11:00am because the local "church groups" would be annoyed by the sound of our cars. This meant that all of the run groups start extremely late on Sundays. This is especially annoying since many folks (myself included) had to leave early on Sunday because of a very long drive home.

I fear the town of Tamworth will ultimately cause the demise of this track and will prevent people like me from going back. Don't even think about bringing a Cup or a Challenge car there, they wouldn't even let you out of the pits. Kind of a shame.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Nordschleife:)

FF1600 + a few road cars.

8. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    revised:
    1. VIR
    2. MoSport/Canadian Tire Motorsports Park
    3. Road Atlanta
    4. Sebring
    5. Watkins Glen

9. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    sebring over barber??? I agree with your others!

10. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I've never been to Barber so I can't rate it.. sorry! (but I hear it's great)

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Road America

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  13. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Laguna is in a beautiful area and beautiful track, but the track has no grip-- without question the lowest grip track of all major tracks in the USA. As a result you cant push very hard at laguna before you start having a large slip angle or slide. Only corners that have some G's are 5 and 9 due to the big camber/banking in those turns. Low G's = low fun in my opinion. The low grip is due to the surface having very large aggregate combined with sand constantly being blown onto the track.

paulchua likes this.
  14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    My favorite tracks:

Laguna Seca
    PIR (Phoenix International Raceway....road course....which is no more)
    Lime Rock
    INDE Motorsports Park
    Monaco GP Circuit.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Appreciate the comment. You're right it does have some corners where I slide pretty easily.

16. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Watkins Glen

VIR

Gingerman, South Haven Michigan

Went back there this summer for the first time in ten years, for my forth time there, and quickly remembered how much I love this track. Tons of runoff, plenty of braking, scenic area, downtown historic area with plenty of restaurants, hotels, plenty of local amenities, gas, wal Mart, Home Depot, auto parts, etc.

17. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    - Le Mans (24h Circuit)
    - Spa
    - Silverstone

Manda racing likes this.
  18. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Mid-Ohio- I love the rhythm of that track.
    VIR- simply awesome I can't add to what's been said.
    Road Atlanta- as said, challenging and a great feeling when you get it right (or almost right in my case).
    Summit Point- it's my home track; it's challenging enough I've never done a perfect lap.

19. OrangeFan

OrangeFan Rookie

Jul 29, 2017
    Cleveland
    Top three for me - not that I've even come close to driving them all:

Watkins Glen - it's my first love and will always have a special place in my heart. It's beautiful, historic, and has a very natural flow to it with perfect camber. Only negative are all the "Go Bowling" signs. I don't even know what they're for.

Sebring - drove it for the first time recently. I went in thinking I was going to hate it. Flat, bumpy, and crowded (although that is situational), but I loved it. Very challenging and way more diverse than I expected. Only negative is that corner workers can be hard to spot. You have to actively look for them.

VIR - just a ton of fun. It doesn't have the history of my top two, but i can't think of a negative either.

Worst: Palm Beach. I'd almost rather spread mulch.

My wish list: Spa and, or course, Monza.

20. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Note these were all on 2 wheels..... done the following:
    Shannonville
    Mosport
    MidOhio
    Miller both tracks
    Jennings (FL)
    Autoclub Speedway
    Spring Mountain

Been to Laguna, but only to watch.... so I can’t say.

My favourite is probably Mid Ohio.... BUT it needs to be dry. That sealant they put on the entire corner to reduce asphalt wear is horrible in the wet.... should be illegal to have a wet race there. However, the track has a fantastic flow to it...... turn 1over 100mph knee down under the bridge..... awesome.

Only did. Mosport before the repave, so honestly at that point it was too scary. The concrete strips in the middle of the track had lips you could measure in centimetres! Plus little run off in many corners.

Miller was lots of fun..... probably the fastest lap I have ever done (comparatively to the pros).

21. Metastable

#97 Metastable, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Forgot to mention, my least favourite is Spring Mountain..... I just could not gel with that track... felt a bit Mickey Mouse ...like not a proper track..... could not even tell you the corner sequence..... I have forgotten .... although I can Tell you the corner sequence with every other track.

22. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It’s a great feeling when you make it through turns 11 and 12 with all of your parts intact - both yours and the car’s.

More so than any other track I know, with the possible exception of Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta lets you know that you need to respect it, or it will bite you. Hard.

23. Metastable

Do Mosport..... with the exception of the 3
    last corners, the entire track is blind... even the back straight has 2 crests! Give Turn 2 a try...... unfortunately it has claimed a few lives. Btw, one of the folks that races here.... saw his car say hello to the Armco at turn 2 a couple of summers ago.... thankfully the driver was unhurt. Dayglow volt mustang anyone??? :D

24. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Good point. Mosport is another one that makes you sit up and take notice. Never drove it, but drove past it twice a week when I travelled back and forth between Toronto and Kingston. Always told myself “One of these days...” but never did.

And yes, I saw that dayglo mustang have its moment. Testament to the massive improvements in safety over the years. That driver posted in the helmet discussion thread here a while back “I’ve crashed a lot over the past year...” and I have to admit I chuckled a bit. Yes, he did. But safety equipment is so much better these days that he can do that and still log on here to laugh about it.