1987 TR Spark Wire Replacement - OEM or ? | FerrariChat

1987 TR Spark Wire Replacement - OEM or ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Oct 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey Guys,

Looks like OEM spark wires are about $650 for both banks. GT Car Parts is quoting $550 for Italian made aftermarket wires.

Any opinions on this topic? Stick with OEM for the extra money? How to make sure I'm not getting some wires that have been sitting around for 30yrs if I do go with OEM?

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    rebuild with 7mm wire in your oem covers

Attached Files:

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you make those wires by yourself then you still need the plugs and the red silicone hose around. you could use the old ones but it is a terrible job to do this

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Not so bad to do it that way!

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've made up several sets of plug wires over the years and it does require a little patience, but you can do the whole job for between $100 and $200.

6. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    Make this stuff yourself. the red outer covers are removable and there is plain solid core spark plug wire inside. Be sure to measure
    the resistance of the spark plug extenders and replace ones that read open resistance. One last fun fact, carefully inspect
    the spring behind the carbon contact in the distributor cap and of course the length of the carbon contact.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 Bobcat S-160

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you, Jeff. While I acknowledge youre right. Given my level of frustration and wantinf to reduce any unnecessary variables, I purchased Italian wires from GT Carparts. Everything ohmed perfectly and the car is running beautifully now.