Official Daytona Pics | Page 51 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In between it was painted black.

Marcel Massini

Tenney and of2worlds like this.
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #1252 TTR, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    I find it rather interesting (and little sad) how many buyers/next owners seem to have little or no regard to paint authenticity, whether its original color or not or even correct for the model, not to mention how often a car, especially an exotic like Ferrari, etc., gets re-painted including color change right after changing hands, even if it was recently re-painted to high standard and shows no signs of problems or wear.

I wonder what percentage of Daytonas still wear their original Scaglietti sprayed OEM paint ? 5% ? Less ?
    I know of or seen less than a handful.
    OTOH, one easily can find/see many that may have not received any comprehensive restoration(s) or even major mechanical overhaul services throughout most of their lives, yet have been subjected to numerous re-paints, including variety of color changes.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Maybe less Timo.
    I was told by Mike that many Daytona's had to be resprayed before delivery due to the poor paint quality, sadly not much has changed with regard to paint quality even with the top end models of today!

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Grant,
    Based on my general observations of the original build quality, I'm not surprised by that assessment.
    I've also often wondered how many got re-sprayed by dealer before first delivery due to buyers color preference request.
    I for one can easily imagine a following scene taking place back in the day:

- A (potential) buyer (looking at one in color X in the dealer showroom): "Yes, I'd like one right away, but in color Y instead. Can you get one for me ?"
    - Sales manager replies: "Oh, it just happens we have one in that exact color coming in couple of weeks, so if you'll leave a deposit, we'll call your office when it's ready for you, Sir."

... then after the buyer has signed his deposit and left the showroom...

- Sales manager-to-Service manager: "Hey, can you send this to paint shop, have them spray it in color Y and tell them it has to be ready in about two weeks ? "

Daytonafan likes this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    dgunn365, franmort, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #1256 TTR, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    :)

I knew some one was bound to bring these up :rolleyes:

BTW, do you know the date or month/year when these were shot and what are the chassis/space-frame assemblies on the right of the gentleman in the latter photo ?

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    These pictures must be the definition of sacrilege to the likes of us.

john

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I see them as proof that these too are just cars or at least initially were meant to be and treated as such. :)

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :)
    Now, if you wish to impress anyone, let's see her running wild on that white stuff, maybe on her way to some ski resort. :rolleyes:

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    the series 1 plexi coupe is perhaps more authentic to the original design concept for this model...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

minus the oversize wire wheels on the front of course!

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    If you liked Ferrari and the 365 GTB/4 "Daytona" then 1971 was a good year for you. The Daytona officially arrived at the North American Ferrari dealerships legally for the 1971 model year. Especially the USA where this early Daytona Spyder 14383 arrived. >

The silver color for the nose would only last for the first year which gives 1971 Daytona models a unique look. Especially compared to the later cars where the nose was simply painted whatever color the body was painted.

xplodee likes this.
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    While the Daytona Spyder USA version is rare the euro version of which only 25 were built is much more scarce. The Spyder 14537 wearing Rosso Chiaro is one such car and also has the one year only silver nose feature.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Do we know, even in estimate, which VIN stretch (or production dates) came with this feature and are we certain all within that(?) stretch had it ?

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I thought it was just one year after the plexi cars finished. So 1971 year cars may have had it?

of2worlds likes this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

The silver nose started with USA market builds. The silver nose can still be seen on high FNA 14,900 serial numbers. One Daytona Spyder owner claimed his car came without the silver nose. He claimed the silver was an option. The silver often doesn't survive a restoration so the details are a bit unclear at this late date.

TTR likes this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes just 1971 as later builds do not seem to feature the silver nose. It may have been stopped as it represented extra work. Originally I believe it was done to mimic the illegal plexi nose for FNA spec builds. However the more clean look without the silver became the standard look for both Euro and FNA markets when both markets later featured pop up headlights.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Hmmm ? I would've thought any 149xx might've been part of early (?) '72 production batches, but then again, I haven't compiled any extensive VIN or production batch lists of Daytonas. I'm not a train spotter.

All my research is mostly based on cars I've personally worked on and/or had access to document and study closely and is focused mostly on many questionable or unusual discrepancies or features that I've become convinced being "as built", yet commonly having been erased during restorations of most examples.
    And there appear to be a lot more I'd like to research, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be that many original/unrestored "as it left the factory" examples around anymore. Too bad.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Patek, of2worlds and TTR like this.
  22. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Max Girardo owned a Rosso Dino 73 car which for while sported the silver stripe on the nose. I guess it was not original though (I think has now been removed) and I wondered if it might have even been a vinyl wrap? The nose is quite vulnerable to stone chips and I have considered a wrap there might be a funky way to protect the front a bit?

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Girardo's was Rosso Dino and had S/N 16049. Here's a pic I took 13 May 2011 in Maranello. Girardo bought it June 2013 for GB Pounds £ 300 K and sold it in 2015 for GB Pounds £ 600 K.
    Has since been resold through dealer Mark Donaldson.
    Before Girardo 16049 had had five earlier owners in Italy but the car still used the original plates from Ancona "AN 172616" when Girardo got it.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and Daytonafan like this.
  24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  25. Marcel Massini