2019 ROAD & TRACK PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR | FerrariChat

2019 ROAD & TRACK PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
  2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    always a good article. They do great videos on YT...

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm surprised they'd already have access to the Pista and Senna.

4. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    These articles are dung, the only opinion that matters is your own and the best performance car is what's in your garage.

They didn't even include the latest Camry, especially with the revised aero. I get passed by them all the time on the highway.

TomTom77, ScottS, nmcclure and 4 others like this.
  5. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    totally agree, there is no something like best car ...

LARRYH and boobernackle like this.
  6. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Camry with 1000 hp I guess? :eek::eek::eek:

7. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Actually, no jokes, I got passed by Prius all the time.

ScottS and boobernackle like this.
  8. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Which one do you think will win?

My bet GT2RS

9. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2010
    CA, NV, TX
    Same! I'm super quick off the line, but don't go too far over the speed limit. Priuses and Camrys do.

Automoblog and boobernackle like this.
  10. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Seriously I hate these articles. If I have a car that doesn’t win, I’m going to run out and sell it and trade for the car that did win.

Lame

boobernackle likes this.
  11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The Senna needs to have points deducted due to its very challenged looks in addition an owner would need to careful consider his/her attire due to its see through doors, far too much compromise there.

stavura likes this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If the scoring is biased towards track performance, the Senna. If it is more road orientated, the Pista.

13. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Scoring is based on a lap time at NCM motorsports park and a straight line test. Last year 720S won. :)

I think this year Senna will easily win both challenges.

But second and third will be a close one between Pista and GT2RS.

Hopefully we'll win. ;)

14. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Senna = $1m +. It better win.

15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Corvette ZR1 already has the record lap at that track.

16. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    That's the new course at NCM. Only ZR1 and a Civic has the times yet. But R&T used a smaller course last year. Maybe they'll use the full course this time. :)

IMO R&T is much reliable than MT and C&D. I'm looking mostly for the 1/4 mile times. 720S last year got 9.9 seconds. Senna will probably do 9.8 this year. :)

Do you guys think Pista will be able beat ZR1 and GT2RS? :)

I'm surprised how they actually got Pista this early for a test. :p

17. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    The Pista better beat everything with the exception of the Senna. If “performance” is the only metric NOTHING will beat the Senna.

If Ferrari’s performance track car can’t beat the GT2 and Corvette it will be very disappointing...

Thelovelyrock18 and LVP488 like this.
  18. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    They have to get the second place somehow. Beating the ZR1 is fairly easy. :) GT2RS is the real problem. It won't be easy. ;)

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Porsche needs to take it seriously though - in french magazine Sport Auto, the GT2RS failed to deliver a really impressive lap time because Porsche did not have the tailor made Michelin Sport Cup 2 they used for the Nurburgring record (these tyres are supposed to be standard on th GT2 RS, but they were not readily available and many GT2RS have been delivered without them).
    The McLaren 720S achieved a better time than the GT2RS on the same track (Le Mans Bugatti) with the same driver.

20. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    I wish they would have included the 600LT and the SVJ.

I would expect Pista to come out on top of the cars tested. too much aero on the 2RS. Senna is too impractical.

21. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Fast Facts About the Eight Contenders for Road & Track's 2019 Performance Car of the Year

Next week, we're bringing eight wildly different performance cars together for testing on the road and track. Only one can be the winner

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ROAD & TRACK
    Next week, the Road & Track staff heads to Kentucky to conduct our 2019 Performance Car of the Year testing. We'll be bringing eight of the hottest performance machines the industry has to offer, all of them brand-new or considerably revised this year. And the Class of 2019 might just be the most wide-ranging in the history of PCOTY.

To refresh your memory, the eight competitors this year are:

• Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
    • Audi RS5
    • BMW M5 Competition
    • Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
    • Ferrari 488 Pista
    • McLaren Senna
    • Mercedes-AMG E63 S Wagon
    • Porsche 911 GT2 RS
    Ahead of our week of road and track testing, we took a little look at the facts and figures on these eight competitors. Here's some fun facts for you:

• The Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio is the first utility vehicle to compete in PCOTY. If you've read our review from earlier this year, you'll understand why: It's razor sharp and rewarding on the road in a way that outstrips any other performance SUV.
    • The Mercedes-AMG E63 S is not the first station wagon to join our competition. An earlier version of the Mercedes ultra-wagon competed in our inaugural PCOTY test, conducted in 2013.
    • The most expensive vehicle in our test is, naturally, the McLaren Senna, with a price that basically rounds out to $1 million. The least expensive competitor? The Audi RS5, with a base price of $70,000.
    • The Senna also takes the cake for highest horsepower, with 789. The lowest horsepower rating? Once again, the Audi RS5, with a mere 444.
    • But when it comes to torque, the Corvette ZR1 trounces everything with a whopping 715 lb-ft. The least torque-ful of our competitors? It's a tie between the Stelvio Quadrifoglio and the RS5, each bringing 443 lb-ft to the party.
    • Going by manufacturer-reported acceleration times, the 911 GT2 RS is the quickest to 60 mph, at just 2.7 seconds. Both the Senna and the 488 Pista have factory-claimed 0-60 times of 2.8 seconds; we suspect these are conservative estimates. The Stelvio at 3.7 seconds and the RS5 at 3.8 are the slowest sprinters.
    • The highest top speed goes to the Corvette ZR1, at 212 mph. Senna and Pista aren't far behind at 211 mph, followed by the 210-mph 911 GT2 RS. Once again, the 176-mph Stelvio and 174-mph RS5 bring up the rear.
    • The largest engine in the competition is, of course, the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 in the Corvette ZR1. It's also the only competitor that isn't sporting twin turbos. The smallest engines? You guessed it: Stelvio and RS5, each with a 2.9-liter twin-turbo V6. Take away the 'Vette, and the largest engine is the 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 in the BMW M5 Competition, followed by the 4.0-liters in the McLaren and E63 S.
    • Among the eight cars in our test, there are five V8s, two V6s, and one flat-six. Bet you can guess which car that belongs to.
    • For the first time in PCOTY history, there is not a single competitor with a manual transmission. The Corvette ZR1 is available with a seven-speed stick, but the example provided to us by General Motors has the automatic.
    That last point may make some readers (and R&T staffers) groan, but it highlights a big reason why we do this annual test: To survey the state of high-performance cars on an annual basis. Our world isn't just about two-door sports cars anymore, and this test will help us understand what that means for driving enjoyment.

And that's why this test is about more than just lap times. Sure, running a bunch of cars around a race track is a great way to get concrete information about which is quickest, but fast doesn't necessarily mean fun. These things still have to function like real cars, and we intend to test that.

Will the Senna reign supreme? Will Pista give it a run for its money? Will the ZR1 thunder its way ahead of the competition? Will we decide that the best performance car this year is a four-door sedan, a station wagon, or—gasp—a crossover? Stay tuned. We can't wait to find out and tell you all about it.

rssf, of2worlds and LVP488 like this.
  22. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Potential Demo Videos

GT2RS @ NMC motorsport park west

1:31.17 (Damp) potentially Cup2 R

488 Pista @ NCM Motorsport park west
    1:32.5 (Damp)

j09333 likes this.
  23. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Both lap times were being completed in damp conditions...but if those time differences (1.3 seconds) do stand it’s very disappointing considering the Ferrari had more time for development then the Porsche GT2 RS. There’s no excuses to have the Pista not beat the GT2 RS, unless we are going to say the Pista wasn’t designed for the track. LOL. Then Ferrari will need to rename the Pista...Strada.

Automoblog likes this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Would be very surprised if Pista beats the Porsche.
    It’s designed to be more engaging, not the quickest around the track. Same like Speciale.

Shadowfax, iloveferrari and Ash Patel like this.
  25. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    All I can see is turn 10 and Pista slided out a bit and TC prevented further throttle input and understeered away from apex.
    GT2RS stayed put and made the turn.
    Well done Ferrari to keep up with 2RS.

Shadowfax likes this.