Looking to purchase a Boxer BUT...... | FerrariChat

Looking to purchase a Boxer BUT......

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Edward 96GTS, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    I drove one for the first time yesterday and it was uncomfortable.
    It was an 83 512bbi. I'm 6' 190 lbs and I could hardly slide my right leg under the steering wheel. Also, the shift knob was practcally under my rt. thigh making it diificult to shift. Other people have this problem? Can the steering wheel be raised/tilted?
    TIA
    Ed

2. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Hey Ed,
    I am 5'11" 190+ lbs and I dont have much problem. Make sure the seat is all the way back, you may also try tilting the seat back a little. If you cannot make yourself comfortable you probably wont be happy, if you can you will be very happy with the car. I dont think the wheel tilts but I am not sure, I will have to check. I have an 83 BBi. Good luck, hope you can shoehorn yourself in its a great ride.
    Charlie

3. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    The steering wheel can be raised. There are a couple of bolts under the shaft to move it around.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I am six foot, 190 lbs. and fit in my BB512i just fine. And, I don't even have to slide or tilt the seat all the way back . But I have short legs and a long torso. You must have long legs and a short torso ?

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Frank,
    Yep, long legged.

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Frank. You sounded like you were describing me!
    So my question Frank, how is the headroom?

7. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    yes big people have some trouble fitting in a Ferrari, especially the pre-1986 models. I recently asked my friend James to slide his right leg in first, then his torso then his left leg. He was able to get in more easily than before. He is 6'2" and weights over 230 pounds.

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    You can't fit in the Boxer because you probably have the seat moved up too close to the wheel, and the seat back is too erect. If you ease the seat rearward, and crank the seatback on a cant, i guarantee you will fit better. You just have to get used to driving the car in a more reclined position; and, you will have to adopt a more relaxed driving style as well. The BB is a more muscular drive, without the power assist that we have become used to in later F cars. It will also be more revealing of sloppy shifting. BTW, i'm six one, 225 lbs, and the boxer was fine once i got used to the laid back position i just described. (I put over 10 thousand miles on one in a year's time).

9. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I seem to remember that when I first got my boxer, the seat was too high up, so I took the seat out and removed an aluminum block that was below it...it then became perfect for my 5' 10" frame