Ferrari 348 start up | FerrariChat

Ferrari 348 start up

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ben111, Oct 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hello guys

Ive searched quite alot before making the thread however ive not found quite what im after

Basically i have the embarrasing start up issue, the car always starts from cold, although even from cold it can struggle from time to time then other occasions fire instantly.

However from warm its always a struggle, sometimes it will start but struggle and sound like spanners for a few seconds then resume a normal engine note, then other times i will turn the key and not a sound, nothing!

Now i always have a jump starter pack with me which when connected to the car starts it everytime hot/cold. With this is mind does it point to any particular culprit?

Ive recently put a new battery on the car so rule that out, Ive also ordered the bits to do the relay mod, which then leaves the flywheel grease and fuel regulators. Ive not come across anyone mentioning jump sets/starter packs when theve made their own threads so was hopeful the fact my jump pack cures my issue that someone would be able to diagnose my issue?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Check voltage at battery terminals with engine on .. it should be over 14 volts .. if not you may have a alternator issue /charging issue which weaking the battery .. even the new battery

Just curious the first start after you installed the new battery .. was it good ?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hi

The first start on the new battery was perfect so initially i thought it was cured

I will try what you said!

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    So it definitely sounds like a charging problem ..

Let us know

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  6. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hi

Mine is a 93 with the battery up front, ive ordered the components to do the relay aswell

Just trying to source a meter to check the voltage

7. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yeah, go with a meter check. I found that even though good batteries can get you a few good years in a Ferrari, the charging systems really benefits from a good trickle charger. I used to turn the cutoff switch on my 348 while it sat for more than week, But on the 360, the dreaded power cable flaw finally caught up with me. It burned up and took the alternator with it, if it wasn't half gone already. Car was so good with no charger on it I never thought I needed one. But after this, I can see that it just helps everywhere. Reduced load on the alternator, keeps battery topped up for all the electronics, especially the capote system. But even this Sunday, with engine heat and traffic, my micro switches were wonky when I got home. Had to do a back and forth with the top switch to get it to come up. When it was up I saw a couple good size wrinkles in the liner that were warm to the touch. I even added insulation to the fuel pump and capote shields under the beauty shields.

You might also look at your coil packs to be sure they are OK. They could be intermittent when hot or cold. Do a conductivity check.

8. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Meter hasnt arrived yet, however i put the car on charge sunday morning and left it overnight, Ive done 3 cold starts each one perfect, first time each time with a perfect note aswell.

Took the car for a 30 minute drive today, when i got home i tried restarting the car and to my surprise the car started without any trouble, considering the traffic was bad and hot weather im optimistic!

Will report back once the meter arrives.

by the way i use the cut off switch almost every time i turn the car off, im assuming this is fine to do?

9. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #9 Ben111, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Ok so update time

I had the car on charge for from last sunday to monday afternoon, between monday and thursday evening the car starting perfect each time, even started fine from warm.

The voltage from the battery terminals whilst running is 12.2

Now the reason i said between monday and thursday evening is because the cars developed an issue, whilst out thursday evening, i noticed the car hesitate once then just down the road from home the car lost power, it was like it was running out of fuel, which i havent ruled out as my guage can be a little tempermantal, it was reading 1/4 full at the time. I got home and went back out in the wifes car and came back with 2 petrol cans full of fuel.
    Put the fuel in and started the car but it now sounds rough, since this i also have an issue with my speedo not illuminating or the headlight symbol showing either, when i put the igition on all the usual symbols illuminate as normal, all the other electrics seem fine, radio, headlights.

10. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Ok had the alternator refurbed and im now getting 14.3 instead of 12.2. Hopefully thats solved the orginal issue.

Now just need to get the car out of limp mode, tried doing an ecu test however my car doesnt have the test button so had to order one of those!