612 OTO market values higher than FF | Page 13 | FerrariChat

612 OTO market values higher than FF

Discussion in '612/599' started by MoeD, Aug 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    This 2009 612 OTO (VIN ZFFJB54A890169132) was on consignment at a broker in California in the early summer. Rare Brunito Metallic with Grigio Ingrid coves and an Iroko interior, 5400 miles, MSRP of $442,678 (!), one owner, decent service records. It had some paint work done to one of the corners after a minor scrape, and needed some more on the underside due to scrapes. The dreaded stickies were also in attendance. Asking price was $199,000, reduced to $183,000 in August, but the decrement basically had to go right back into the car if the paint and stickies were to be addressed. I couldn't get my head around the color scheme, even after buying small samples of the two exterior paints and spraying some aluminum panels, so didn't pull the trigger. The car sold to the U.S. east coast. I do not know what the selling price was.

Note that the seats are not two-tone as they appear in the photos. The darker areas are just shadows.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vcappp, MRY, 4rextc and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Damm, that car looks gorgeous. I love the quilted brown interior and the Brunito Metallic. Whats the deal with the speckled dash though?

3. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    #303 4rextc, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    The paint scheme looks similar to the 9-car limited edition 612 GP Berne edition (2006?), with the painted scallops. I really like the look but I'd love to see it in person. Interesting that the 612 Scaglietti front fender tag was removed with the custom paint.

4. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    vcappp and Makuono like this.
  5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Don – I know what you mean about the exterior color you either like it or not.

But IMO it is overall it is a gorgeous look, even though I don't care for the ostrich leather look. Normally I am not favorable to brown exterior cars but this one pulls it off very elegantly and I like the interior color (same main color as mine but I have grey and CF accents w/ Grigio Ferro metallic exterior). I think this car is the highest MSRP at $442,678 I have ever seen on a 612 OTO. I thought my car had pretty much all the options available with a sticker price of $395,999, wonder what the extra $47k was for as mine also had special paint but not two tone. Did the prices go up much from 2008 to 2009?

I would also like to know what it actually sold for as I got my 2008 in 2015 for way less than their asking price with about the same miles 5.5k at the time with no sticky issues. It would seem that prices of the OTO cars seem to be trending up unless this was just an outlier.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I also wonder where all the extra went. My 2008 was $386K. I do see that the metal strip going across the dash where the air vents are placed is done in leather, but the exhaust grilles do not appear to be chromed. We don't see the trunk and I have seen one done in leather, plus there could have been a complete luggage set. That's where some $25K or more could have gone.

7. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    The car has two types of leather - the ostrich and the "flat" one, which also appears to have a vintage look, so should be a special tailor made request.

Door frames (I don't know the proper name in english) on the interior are also leather wrapped (not carpet as usual). Probably the trunk is also in leather, as has been pointed out by Paul.

The two tone paint job shouldn't be cheap also...

This is a really carefully done OTO. Beautiful and unique. Love it.

8. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    The sales rep for the two tone 612 OTO at the independent broker this summer was the originating Ferrari dealer's liaison with the owner back in 2008. The two of them went to the Atelier at the factory to spec the car--"with the help of a couple of bottles of Lambrusco," according to the rep. The $442,678 MSRP is hand written on the Build Sheet. Unfortunately, there is no break down for that total. It is the the highest MSRP I've seen for a 612 by a fair margin.

I agree that this is a "love it/hate it" (or at least strongly dislike it) car. If the price had been more in line with my assessment of the 612 OTO market, I would have made the coast-to-coast trip to look at it in person, but it wasn't, so I didn't. Two other factors also pulled me away from this car, and 612 OTOs in general: (1) There aren't many 612 OTOs in the U.S. (95 +/-), so availability for purchase is very thin, maybe one or two on the market at any one time. If you don't want Nero/Nero, you have an even smaller subset to pursue. Finding one in an acceptable color could take some time. (2) Decently equipped FFs are now trending below $150,000 and are plentiful, with 40 or more on the market at any time (but a majority are not below $150,000--yet). "612 OTO or FF" is not strictly a question of performance and technology. Style and a connection with historical antecedents come into the picture as well. For me, the case for an FF rather than 612 OTO is pretty compelling. Others may think differently.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Hey ! Its a top of the line Ferrari.
    Real Ostrich just might be called for.
    Especially in the seats.
    Want grip ?
    Screw alcantara or "technical fabric" we have Ostrich nubs ! ;)

Stupid question time..Whats an "OTO" ?

10. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    There’s no thing such as a stupid question.

OTO stands for one-to-one. It was a special personalization program for the 612, which was Ferrari’s flagship model at the time.

Similar to today’s tailormade program I believe.

After sometime in 2008, all 612 were OTO, so build to client requested specs.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think the answer to at least part of the high MSRP may have to do with the two bottles of Lambrusco and perhaps increase in prices of the 2009 vs. the 2008 model year. Or perhaps it is the mysterious “Other Options” which make up the majority of the price difference which also give credence to the two bottles of Lambrusco factoring in the pricing.

I noticed the leather covered areas around the A/C vents but my car has CF there so I assume that is a largely offset. If the trunk is leather covered and has matching leather luggage that could amount to the remainder of the $47k difference. However I noticed the brake calibers are silver not yellow (CCB color) but I thought all OTO cars had CCB not just those with HGT 2 package so perhaps the calibers are painted silver in lieu of yellow?

No doubt it is a very special and unique car in any event. I would like to have had a look at it when it was on the West Coast if it was in So Cal.

12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    [QUOTE="4rextc, post: 146243866, member: 1288" The paint scheme looks similar to the 9-car limited edition 612 GP Berne edition (2006?), with the painted scallops. I really like the look but I'd love to see it in person. Interesting that the 612 Scaglietti front fender tag was removed with the custom paint.[/QUOTE]

The painted scallops remind me of an early 60s Vette (which I have always loved). Not sure if I would like this though. I would have to see it in person as well. The thing I like about the 612 is that it is very subtle and it looks far better in person.

13. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    This ostrich OTO was in a suburb of Cleveland about 2 or 3 years ago and was available at a dealership called R & H https://inventory.motorcargroup.com/vehicles If you want extra info on the car, they should know, the salesperson there is the same guy that was there at that time. I honestly don't recall the exact price they were asking back then, if I had to guess it was in the $220-230K range.

I remember seeing this car in person and was blown away by it, then I saw the interior with the ostrich accents and it was too over the top for me.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bought my OTO from R&H 5 years ago.

15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I just checked out their website for the first time and their cars look nice. The early model caddys bring back childhood memories of the used caddys my parents would buy. I'm actually thinking that $15k might be worth it to me to relive those memories if for just a little while. Curious to see if the car drives the way I remember it did, smooth, cushy and solid. Problem is I have too many cars already...

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The thing about OTO is that Ferrari changed how 612s were allocated. Prior to 2008, the dealers were told "you are getting x 612s this year" and they had to sell those. If they couldn't sell them, they still had to spec and order them, and have them sit in inventory. With the late 456M and early 612s, this resulted in a bunch of cars in inventory, and the dealers were not happy...

From 2008 on, all 612 orders had to have a customer name and spec attached. So in theory, they were all special-ordered. In reality, given the timing (2008-09), some buyers did back out and there were a few available from inventory.

17. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    This is a fabulous car, I wish I knew it was for sale when I was looking for my car which also has a full diamond quilt interior, as I would have bought it on the spot!

Just plain gorgeous this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Something like that happened to my car as it has a build date of Sept 2008 and a sales date of 6/22/2009. So I assume the origional buyer backed out and it sat in inventory at Miller Motorcars for most of a year. Since it had such a high a MSRP it was likely hard to sell in that 2008-09 time frame.

19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Coincidentally , I bought my car , similar color to yours, also from Miller 2 years ago. Traded in my brand new Cali T for it...

Makuono likes this.
  20. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Yes, all OTO have CCB, with option to paint calipers in several different colors.

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so what wld a mint 6k mile 09 OTO with 380k sticker go for today? diamond black with cremma

22. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The MSRP is not so important as the mileage, color combination for both interior/exterior and options. It seems that the HGT2 package is important to most folks but not universally. There seem to be a lot of black/black cars so if that is your choice I would think it might sell for $130k-$140k range after asking $140k-$150k. More unique color combinations seem to be in the $160k-$180k asking range, not sure what selling price would be. My 2 cents.

Keep I not mind, not so many OTO cars in the US, maybe 100? And importing from Europe is a bit of a hassle registering it in the US so Europe prices while less are not much of a factor.

vcappp likes this.
  23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The MSRP is not so important as the mileage, color combination for both interior/exterior and options. It seems that the HGT2 package is important to most folks but not universally. There seem to be a lot of black/black cars so if that is your choice I would think it might sell for $130k-$140k range after asking $140k-$150k. More unique color combinations seem to be in the $160k-$180k asking range, not sure what selling price would be. My 2 cents.

Keep I not mind, not so many OTO cars in the US, maybe 100? And importing from Europe is a bit of a hassle registering it in the US so Europe prices while less are not much of a factor.

vcappp likes this.
  24. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    I thought there were only about 50 OTO cars in the usa, and two were written off... total of 350 made... so I was told...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcappp and 24000rpm like this.
  25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I am not sure exactly how many OTO cars were made but other threads have indicated less than 400 (since only 400 of the radio/nav systems were made. Some units did not go in to OTO cars but late 2007, early 2008 non OTO cars and also in the 60 Sessanta cars) so perhaps even less than 350 OTO cars? But none of the other threads has said for certain how many are in the US. I have heard as many as 100 and as few as 50 as you mention. The number of OTO cars and number in the US, has been discussed here at Fchat a several times but with no definitive resolution as to the exact numbers.

vcappp likes this.