Normal slippage on clutch engagement 360 F1? | FerrariChat

Normal slippage on clutch engagement 360 F1?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Azzuro Blue, Oct 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    I have a recent new clutch and was not happy with the amount of slippage on acceleration off the line. My car is 2001. I bought a later TCU which could be updated to challenge stradale firmware and had the ECUs mated to them. The PIS point was adjusted to the minimal level yet I still get slippage I feel is excessive. I also see no difference between sport and regular mode. Typical moderate acceleration results in revs going to perhaps 2500 before slowly becoming fully engaged. Do others find a fair amount of slippage before full engagement? Thanks!

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Not sure if that much slippage is normal. But I used to find the best way was to take off with some purpose and as soon as the car is rolling, back off a tad. This gets the clutch closed much quicker.

Skidkid likes this.
  3. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    If I try to start faster the car will rev to 2500 or higher with lots of slippage and still doesn't seem to engage very quickly. How high do your revs go?

4. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    Sounds like PIS isn’t adjusted right.
    On the other hand, new clutch slips a bit more, and should engage better after some mileage.

But 2500 rpm sounds excessive

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Mine is a 2003. Clutch has less than 2K miles on it and the PIS was set. Slippage is noticeable when first starting off when the engine is cold or not warmed up I should say. Initially I would say that 2000 to 2500 RPM is where I seem to feel it engages. But once the engine is warmed up ( a couple of blocks) shifts seem to be good in sport mode. As Glen suggests, if I give it some gas pedal, it seems to engage sooner even when not warmed up. Once up and running the shifts are very positive, even at take off from a stop.

I've always driven stick shift 911's. I find you really have to relearn how to drive an F1. I find you can't soft pedal it with the accelerator-- even though that's kind of natural with a stick-- you need to feel the engine and trans working and find the sweet spots. As for the clutch wear, I'm more attuned to using reverse carefully as the clutch never really fully engages. just my 2 centavos.

6. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    04 360 with 40K miles, original clutch. I purchased at 19K with 35% wear on the clutch at that time. Wear now is 42%. Maintenance has consisted of annual or semi-annual F-1 fluid change, system bleed and PIS check/reset. This for 37K of the clutches mileage.

So to answer the original question, 2500 is high. Mine engages at 1500-1800. Shifting in normal mode ranges from stately to really quite fast depending on throttle input. Shifting in sport ranges from slightly faster than normal to extremely fast, even violent. Get the tach vertical and hang on to your hat and a__. I don't drive in sport mode until the car is warmed up. (oil temp 150-160 F)

The owner's manual doesn't speak to it, but clutch break in is important. I've always heard and used 500 miles of mostly stop and go driving by granny as the rule of thumb. Add limited reverse for your 360 . After 500 miles or so, good idea to get the PIS reset. You didn't say how many miles on your clutch, but I would recommend really being easy on on it for a few hundred miles and, like granny, forget about sport mode until everything is seated in. Engagement RPM should come down during this period and should get to well under 2000 RPM after the PIS reset.You'll be rewarded by a superbly operating transmission that will last a log time. Oh, and I also recommend the maintenance as above. Has worked very well for the previous owner and myself.

Cheers, Andy

7. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    This is good information. I have not put many miles on the new clutch, partly because it bothers me to drive it with the excessive slippage. Perhaps only 200 miles. I will drive it some more and see if things improve. Sub 2000 rpm engagement sounds much more reasonable.

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it will not improve unless you got oil residue on the clutch/flywheel area. ask the mechanic or see for yourself

9. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    "So to answer the original question, 2500 is high. Mine engages at 1500-1800. Shifting in normal mode ranges from stately to really quite fast depending on throttle input. Shifting in sport ranges from slightly faster than normal to extremely fast, even violent." This answer from Shad 99 seems like where a clutch should be getting fully engaged. More just seems like slippage to me. PIS point set to minimum so no more opportunity there. Do others find full engagement usually takes place below 2000 rpm?