Which Ferrari designs have aged the best... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Which Ferrari designs have aged the best...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davemqv, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    '95 F512M

The '85 -'91 Ferrari Testarossa is my all time favorite Ferrari. I didn't like the aesthetic updates on the M for a long time. The car's design has, as the OP asked, improved with age.

IMHO

xplodee, Boomhauer, davemqv and 2 others like this.
  2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    When I really started to think about this question I've come to the conclusion that Ferrari and Pininfarina, as well as many of the other Carrozeria and designers that have 'clothed' Ferraris over the decades are really brilliant, capturing timelessness that correlates well with the time they were built. So few losers (from the design side), that it isn't worth mentioning, compared to the winners upon winners.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #128 dustman, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Dino
    360 spider
    308/328

Most surprising I like is f430 spider. Looks so good now.

Future prediction: f12tdf for me the hands down winner.

Future prediction #2: not the 812s. Actually nothing in the current design language has any appeal.

m5shiv and Robb like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I agree with everything but the 360/430 spiders. I like the berlinettas better. :)

But the 812, wow, what a dog pile.

5. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    LARRYH, Makuono and Texas Forever like this.
  6. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    The 612 ages extremely well. When it was introduced I didn't like it.

But through the years the car became more and more beautyfull. So beautyfull that I actualy bought one.

Still on pictures I don't like it. But in real life: awesome!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

randkin, m5shiv, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  7. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    Designs that are timeless to me are

1) 365 Tre posti
    2) Dino 246
    3) 355

8. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    These plus the 288 gto and Testarossa

LARRYH likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My top Ferrari's that have aged the best over the years -
    1) 308 (Euro bumpers)/328
    2) 355 (berlinetta or GTS)
    3) 512 BB

I'll admit that I'm biased towards the 328, but nearly everyone who sees my car says they like it better than any of the current Ferraris. If that's not aging well, what is? But the best looking of the series would be a 308 GTB with the Euro bumpers, small undernose spoiler and no rear wing. The 355 is as good looking as the 348 isn't, even though they're related. The BB of course has kinship with the 308; mille grazie, Leonardo Fioravanti! In time, the 458 may enter this conversation.

Which 3 designs have remained timelessly beautiful throughout the years?
    1) 250 GT Lusso. Still the most beautiful production car Ferrari has ever made.
    2) 275 GTB (longnose). Somehow others prefer the shortnose but I think the longnose looks better proportioned. I do wish the headlights had been a bit smaller, though.
    3) 246 Dino GT. I agree that the car still looks great after all these years.

Which 3 designs have aged the worst?

1) Testarossa. I have never cared for the look; the strakes look terrible and the rear end is as wide as a dually pickup! The headlights on the 512 M version did not help.
    2) 348. Well, it's the Testarossa Junior. If anyone ever offered me any of the V-8 two-seaters, it's the only one that I would turn down.
    3) 360. After the athletic 355, it impressed me as being too bulky, and the "missing" grill and oversize headlights did not help. While the 430 is in many respects too "busy", I prefer its front-end look 100%.

LARRYH and dustman like this.
  10. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The interesting thing to me is not how the stand out beauties (275 gtb/Dino/250 Cali and 250 Lusso) have fared over the years but how some others that I was unsure about in period now look so good.

I never liked 612s or 365 GTC 4s particularly, but then you see one, in the right color years later and you just think: Wow !
    The GTE is another example, I felt that delayed "wow" so much that I know own one, to my eyes such an elegant car.
    Not a universal view as I remember being stood by a GTE in Carmel one Car Week when a father pulled his son over and said: "see not all Ferraris are good looking."

I would have thought my ability to fall for cars I used to think of as "not quite right" was confined to the 2+2 s (which have inherent styling compromises) but recently I walked out of a hotel in Milan at night and there was a black 430 parked outside. Wow !

LARRYH and davemqv like this.
  11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso.

randkin, LARRYH and G. Pepper like this.
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Very elegant car.

13. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    The Ferrari 360 Modena with twin turbos , lowered on custom 19s and carbon spoiler has always been my favorite timeless masterpiece....................

Oh wait , maybe I'm a little bias :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Art (and rolling art) is in the eye of the beholder... aged the best = timeless in my book.

That being said, I think your choices are very opposite of what most Tifosi would select other than the Dino or 275.

F355 is one of the most beautiful designs from Ferrari in modern times and made an EVO magazine top list because of this.

The Mondial while a car we can enjoy, is not on any list of must have’s for timeless design or lines.

The 550 though, is one I think that is very timeless even though it will not likely make it into my garage...

Robb

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #140 davemqv, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    I really should have said "Which designs have improved with age?" That may have solved this problem! But everyone always wants to answer the question they wish was asked anyway, so c'est la vie! :)

I think my intended question makes the Mondial a clear choice for the list. It's quirky looks have gone from giving it awkward sibling status to the 308 to standing on its own as a defining moment in car design, whether you like it or not. I'm not saying it's the most timeless or even the best, or even the top 10!...although for me it might be. There are certainly a lot of Ferrari's that are way more beautiful and timeless. But the Mondial is very much a car of it's era, like the C/4, the 308GT4, and the Testarossa. It's looks do not age timelessly. They become in fact, time machines, banner holders of an epoch, taking you back with every turn of the ignition key to a certain period of time in general, not just in motoring. Hence the "Wow, 80's!" comments the Mondial and Testarossa inspire all the time. That's cool with me. I love time specific design as much as timeless design. You look at a Daytona and you think timeless. You look at a C/4 you think 70's. Both are beautiful cars in my book.

(Disclaimer - Don't read on if you have thin skin and love the 355!!!)

As for the 355, I will never understand how people think that car is beautiful or original in design. I can understand why people like it, because tastes are individual - "there's a girl for everyone". So it's not my place to say "how can you like that car?" But (and I really intend no offense here) to me it is the pinnacle of an era at Ferrari when their cars were the least inspired in terms of design and the hardest to distinguish from everything else on the road, specifically from Toyota's offerings at the time. To me the 355 and the second generation MR2 were so similar as to be heartbreaking, and to add insult to injury, the 2nd gen MR2 debuted in 1989! Five full years before the 355 debuted. So not only does it look like an MR2, the impression given is that Ferrari/Pininfarina actually lifted the design from Toyota. I'm sure that's not true (I hope) but the mere fact that they're so close is a bummer for someone who always admired Ferrari's willingness to take risks with design. The 90's in general were a pretty dull time in automotive design. All designers, including Ferrari, thought they were reinventing the wheel by simply rounding out the hard edges and removing the graters and scoops from their 80's cars and calling them new. While timely and keeping pace with the fashion of the moment, that is the most uninspired excuse for design I've ever heard of. I'm sure it also had to do with Ferrari wanting to become more mainstream. The 550 and the Supra also bear too many similarities for my comfort. Even the 456, which I love and is a unique looking car, is under designed in my opinion. It's very pretty but too toothless, like all the early-mid 90's Ferrari's.

I think Ferrari started to right the ship, at least with mid engine cars, with the 360. The 458 is great all around.

There you have it! I hope none of the Mod's drive 355's! I'll be banned for life!!! Lol :)

Edit: I feel the same way about the similarities between the 812 Superfast and the current Corvette as I do the 355/MR2. Get it together, Ferrari!!!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    348, 355, GTO, F40

17. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
  18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lol.

I honestly never saw the Fiero comparison to any Ferrari. It looks more like a tricked out Fiat X1/9 to me. Always seemed like a stretch to compare it to the 308 family of cars. On the other hand, if you compare the windows, pillar positions, and honestly overall designs of the MR2 and 355 I defy you to not see the similarities. Of course the 355 is better looking than the MR2, but they're cut from the same cloth IMO.

I know I'm in the minority here and the 355 is a very beloved car. It's just my feeling. No offense intended. What do I know? I drive a Mondial and I'm partial to 2+2 Ferrari's!!!

Plus, my opinions mean one less person around to drive up 355 prices! You're welcome! ;)

19. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    I am the lover of all things Ferrari and the 355 is a great car but I have to agree with you :D

I'm used to being blasted on this forum about my ideas of what a great looking Ferrari looks like so my opinion might be hated.....but oh well !!!

davemqv likes this.
  20. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Get your eyes checked... :D

And go see and drive an F355.

Robb

davemqv likes this.
  21. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lol. I am told they drive well and rank among the top Ferrari drivers cars by many folks who know their stuff.

Robb likes this.
  22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    davemqv, of course you are entitled to your opinion so I will not counter...however I couldn't help mentioning how amused I am that your posted photo was meant to help support your point of view :)

davemqv and Robb like this.
  23. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #148 Laserguru, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    GPepper has it going on! You, sir, are a Philistine!! That rear end accommodates the rear passengers with adequate space and head room (as long as they're either 12 and under or double leg amputees) thereby serving the design purpose of a 2+2 with style and grace like no other. And a bit of "big butt" to the rear allows select luggage for grand touring without having to wear the same underwear for days on end. Coupled with the V12 performance, tis the perfect weekend getaway with the wife and two short friends (young or vertically challenged). But then, I might be skewed in my opinion.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

xplodee and G. Pepper like this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Completely off topic but I’ve seen a few Porsche 944’s recently and just fallen in love with the look all over again.

On topic...Dino. F430 spider. TDF.

25. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike

Sorry man, I'm just not seeing it.

Mike