Front brake sensor wires disconnected. | FerrariChat

Front brake sensor wires disconnected.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TheDiffuser, Oct 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Hi all

I have an F430 low mileage and FSH.

While getting a hoist check the tech discovered the two front brake sensor wires are cut and takes over. I'm not happy.

I'm unsure of what brake pads are fitted.

I'd obviously like to reconnect them but wondered if anyone would know why they'd have been cut, any Ecu errors that might show it any other knowledge.

Many thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Did you just get this car?

Your abs light should be on if those are the wires.

3. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Just got it and no ABS or other lights in. Quite concerning as it had a full F dealership PPI and warranty. Surely that should've been at least mentioned if not repaired??

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think some just cut and shorted the sensor not to deal with single use sensor. They do not come as a separate unit from Ferrari (aftermarket yes) ..they come as a complete set. Maybe the prior owner changed pads that weren't oem packaging and did not get sensor and decided to not use them going forward

I don't agree with this practice but I have heard it being done to ferrai bmw etc

I am sure you can get one off eBay etc but you can wait until you change pads again

The cars computers will think the pads are fine even when worn so pay attention to pad thickness not to cut into rotors as they wear down

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Ok sounds good thanks

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The wire are a ground sensor and there are no ECUs that will know they are cut.
    It is unfortunate that they were cut. You can simple pull the sensor from the old pad and leave it unattached or you can just unplug the orange wire at the hub.
    You can always ask the dealer why they didn't see it and maybe they will replace them for you.

7. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Yes Im going to go back to the dealer and ask why they didnt advise me on the PPI or warranty check about them. I would have preferred to just unplug them - or at least do something less drastic to the wiring. Thanks.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just unpluging them would cause light to show .. it has to be a closed circuit

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

TheDiffuser likes this.
  9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's only an "issue" if the brake pads are completely shot and the rotors trashed. Put a new set of wires on and be done with it. It's just a loop of wire that gets broken when the wear on the pad is too much. Admittedly, I don't use the wear sensors in my car with my giro disc pads. I check them regularly and replace as needed.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  10. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    When i did a brake job on my 360, I used sensor from a after market supplier. From a 2002 BMW or it made have been a Porsche. I spliced them into the existing harness pigtail so I could replace with a Ferrari pigtail. The slot in the brake pads is a Brembo design so most any Brembo. I used EBC pads that have the sensor slot.

TheDiffuser likes this.