The rejuvenation of # 02986 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

The rejuvenation of # 02986

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  2. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    You’re welcome. Bill is very knowledgeable. They usually have all the parts you need or where to get them. Bill has 1st hand knowledge of the Dino a good source of how to? Maranello Concessionaires in UK is good as well for OEM parts. Hope it helped.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Many thanks again. I’ll get to it soon. Doing a 355 engine out right now, so I’m well occupied.

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  6. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    nice work skip

i love your car

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks John. How’s your Journey going ?

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login It’s been a few months since I’ve updated this thread.

I’ve been changing spark plugs, syching carbs, and working on the gearbox sump cover leaks.

After installing the washers with rubber inserts, the threads held the oil, but the gasket itself was also leaking. Being a perfectionist, there’s only one thing to do. New gasket.

Dave rocks likes this.
  9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login The saying, “nothing’s ever easy” applies to my Dino journey.

After installing my new gear box sump gasket, I noticed a small ball bearing on the floor under the car. I happened to be talking with our own Tony L about carb tuning and mentioned this finding. Thank God he knew what it was !
    The ball & spring thing x 3 that fit under the sump cover.

Unfortunately, I got to do everything for a second time as usual!

Many thanks to Tony L and the rest of the brotherhood that have helped over the past couple years.

On to the next one.....

10. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
  11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Earlier this year I made arrangements with Fred Winterburn to get his electronics put into a Dinoplex box this Fall.

I didn’t want to gut my original box, so I purchased a NOS box off eBay. This was for a four cylinder car, but will work fine.

No drilling necessary. Just heat and a pry bar.

I bet all these electronics would fit on one chip these days.

12. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    That's how I did my first one. Now I know where the two screws are to dig out and remove and the whole epoxy block comes out in one piece.

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Nothing like experience !

14. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    dgt and Skippr1999 like this.
  15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I heard from Fred Winterburn today. My updated ignition box is ready to be shipped. I didn’t really need this item, but decided to get it while it’s still available.
    Fred has been great to work with and very responsive. He said the testing of this box was about the strongest of any he had done. I’m not educated enough on the subject to know what that really means.

The original box will stay functional and intact.

Here’s a picture of the new internals.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    synchro and 19633500GT like this.
  17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Today was finally a nice day to take the Dino out to see how the Winterborn ingnition box performs.

In addition to the new ignition box, I have been dialing in the carb and idle adjustments sporadically since last Summer

My initial impression after a 60 mile loop of the city with speeds up to !!!!!, the car runs consistently good, the backfires are gone, the idle is great. The changes are subtle and the sum of the parts is that the whole package has come together. It just seems right for the 1st time since I purchased the car two years ago.
    Such a great driving experience.

NYC Fred, randkin, 19633500GT and 2 others like this.
  18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Thanks for sharing your great work,hoping pics to follow?

Skippr1999 likes this.
  19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    19633500GT and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    TonyL likes this.
  21. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    Skip - I wish you lived closer - I'd like you to spend a week with my car - I really want a GT now - I am loving my car by the way - It's a real pleasure to look at and to drive - john

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks John,
    I wish we could do that too. What work have you been doing to yours ?

23. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

I got a strong rec for a shop called GTO here in LA and took my DINO there with a small punch list - carb adjustment - to minimize the back fires

they actually knew the car as a previous owner (who was a guy who actually drove and loved it before it passed through 2 high end auctions and was passed between folks who trade in high end collector luxury/sports cars - and no knock on those guys but they are retailers who never titled the car they just auctioned and traded it twice)

but GTO knew the car - and they put a foam piece inside the hood that was missing? - they installed a new trickle charger - adjusted the carbs and tuned - so the car seems to run very even - they suggested I swap out the tires - as mine show some old date stamps - I will do this at some point soon - It's a drag because it's not at all about mileage on those tires it's just age and the swap out is $1700

I was gonna have them look at my radio as it doesn't work but seems like it wants to - it's been a while since they had it - oh an oil change - I can't remember what else

I have some stuff like - weather stripping around the spider hole that the top seals into - it probably should be replaced - it's a bit loose in spots

the dash lights are dark - i don't drive much at night so it hasn't really been on my mind

my triangle window on the passenger side had the silver handle come off (it was off when I got it) - i have the handle and the glass there is original so i have debated what to do there - i would need to replace the glass with suitable new glass ...

I drove it yesterday - fired right up - sounded great - ran great - it was hot here in LA it said cool and happy

no complaints

24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve been continuing on the journey of making my car the best it can possibly be while safe guarding as much originality as possible for a car that needs to be reliably driven.

With the help of TonyL, I was able to get the carbs and idle adjusted, but I always felt the car was lacking some upper end power and general performance.

So I was able to get the car to my most excellent mechanic to check timing, distributor advance, and carb tune. The timing, dizzy, and advance were spot on. However, he discovered that the jets were all wrong. I purchased the car from Colorado a couple years ago and the car came with a bag of jets labeled, “Sea Level”. The jets in the car were set up for high altitude and the car is low in a low altitude!

Swapped the jets and the car was night and day better. Idle improved immensely. The motor revs much stronger and more freely. The car pops and backfires are gone.

Next we noticed the vapor barriers were missing from behind the door panels. That’s been corrected, not that this car is likely to ever encounter water ! Broken door panel clips replaced and mounting holes repaired.

Looking forward to seeing the power difference on the road soon. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TonyL likes this.