Pirelli ownership by ChemChina | FerrariChat

Pirelli ownership by ChemChina

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by efg2014, Oct 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    As some of you are aware the Chinese company ChemChina bought 40% of Pirelli a few years back. Based on my personal experience and others who have dealt with Chinese business practices and product development processes I would not feel comfortable putting Pirelli tires on my f-car.

Viperjoe likes this.
  2. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Any proof, reports, or anything on changes to manufacturing?

JP365 and JCR like this.
  3. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Good question, hard to answer. Quality and safety is not a high priority among Chinese manufactures. Whether it is using toxic lead in toys, or adding industrial chemicals to milk to raise the purported protein content even though it may kill children(yes that happened) to increase profits. My friends from main land China do not trust their food supply as they feel it is contaminated. I'm not going to get into providing an education of the Chinese philosophy regarding business but I for one will not buy Chinese tires :)

PS. Just recently the Chinese owners have said they would be more hands off at Pirelli.Why do you think they said that?

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I wonder what percentage of Ferrari shares have Chinese ownership - presumably that too should present a problem for you since I believe both the cars and the tires are still made in Italy

5. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Ferrari is publicly traded(RACE). Off course some shares are owned by Chinese investors. The difference is whether they have decision making powers at Ferrari, which they don't however at Pirelli they do.

Reminds me of a story when the government of China released their home grown copy of a Boeing and the comments on Chinese social media were Xi Jinping (Chinese president ) should fly on that plane first.

At some point Chinese manufacturing quality and processes will improve however it is good to understand where they are now.

6. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Not all Pirellis are made in Italy some are made in Brazil (P6 and P7). The F1 tyres I have seen sidewalls ( I actually have a used F1 tyre) have made in Turkey. I will have a look tonight to see where my Corsas are made.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree in China; one must be extremely cautious when purchasing goods. The lack of regulatory oversight, profits over safety, and culture of crony capitalism are all too real. It doesn't just stop at Pirelli; there are 2,400 US companies now owned or controlled by Chinese investors.

Regarding Pirelli, is there evidence of degradation in quality or safety in regards to tires? Should become pretty evident as there are literally millions on the road and if the VW/Toyota stuck accelerator/Takata/Audi 5000/Pinto/Ford-Firestone scandals has shown us anything, class action lawyers would be all over any hint of impropriety.

gh0st0 likes this.
  8. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Pirelli send QA staff to China regularly (I know because I sat next to one on a China -HK flight).

paulchua likes this.