The death of the car foretold (again) | FerrariChat

The death of the car foretold (again)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Themaven, Oct 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I think it will certainly happen in cities. Then the more concentrated suburban areas surrounding cities.

And we car folk will endulge in our beloved “piloting hobby” on beautiful scenic roads and highways with far less morons in the way!

Once in a while I may head down town to scare and exite the city dwelling types with the spine tingling symphony of sight and sound. The Ferrari will be hailed as a celebrity showered in thumbs up applause and cameras all facing me as I give them a rev or a crackle, thus making all who instantly google what they witness then long for the day they too with hard work and perciverence can obtain such a masterpiece for their own, They will screen save fantaciful pictures of the experience like posters on a young child’s bedroom wall in the 80s which will then reignite a whole new generation of car lovers.

Thus reversing the desire for robot cabs.

Texas Forever and Automoblog like this.
  2. Automoblog

Automoblog Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Gino
    This is very poetic and makes me feel better about the future of the love for cars. Part of me is sad about the way things are going, but like you said: Less morons!

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you look at the big picture of new car and truck sales in the US, I don't think we're going to keep seeing 20 million sales a year. America is a big country with a lot of wide open spaces, so there will always be a healthy number of IC vehicles sold. But as more and more people start using electric vehicles in urban and suburban areas, new car sales will surely take a hit. Once refined, how long with an EC vehicle last versus an IC car? And, please don't bring up Sir Lucas.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Meh. I'm sixty, so I figure I'll check out before they won't let me drive my cars and bikes anymore.

daytona355, RonH and paulchua like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    G. Pepper makes an excellent point. For myself, I don't think ICE cars will be banned nor will autonomous be the rule of the land until I'm 6 feet under. So a non-sequitur for me. 'smoke em if you got em'

6. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    You need to search the internet for “Rush Red Barchetta”. The song is great and the lyrics are in line with this discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrewH and MalcQV like this.
  7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They won't be banned completely, but will indeed be banned in highly populated areas, which in some countries is already happening. Tech moves very fast. Dont think you won't be effected in your life time. I think within the next 10 years we will see a major change. God willing, you will be there to witness it..

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Unfortunately the story backs up what Tom says. And the images of NYC in 1905 and 1913 should be sobering to us all; that's an eight year interval, and presumably posters here don't intend to die within 8 years. It's already either impossible or difficult to drive your Ferrari in major European cities including Paris, Strasbourg, Florence, Barcelona, and I can't see China ever allowing classic Ferraris to be driven anywhere. Cities are where most people live. If London bans Ferraris (it will, one day), I will face the choice of either storing them way out of town and making a round trip just to get to my car, or giving up. A lot of people will give up.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I posted the same link in another section. I do believe (excluding cities) we are a way off exclusively autonomous cars but do agree in the city that is already changing. Where I live outside of Manchester, to get into the city my only real option is the bus. Due to other works going on it is nigh on impossible at any reasonable time to get into the city by car.
    That said I am all for car less cities I think it is far easier getting about in the city with no cars. Public transport could improve where I live but it is not impossible. Of course unlike Darius above it's easy for me to say that as I neither live in the city or work within it. If I worked within it then I would use public transport anyway.
    My daughter on the other hand owns a car and lives and works in Manchester city centre. She hardly uses her car and actually walks to work.
    I do rather like the idea of that.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Why not move?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

daytona355 likes this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I walk to work also...the Ferraris are purely leisure tools! That said, they have been used on the school run when the occasion demands (as in my profile picture)

12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I am keeping my two F-cars but I find myself using Uber much more often than I ever thought I would.
    A Tesla Model S P100D is in my sights right now for a DD. I don't think ICE cars are going anywhere in my lifetime, but cars don't seem to very important to a lot of my friend's kids. I couldn't wait to get my own car when I turned 16 but it seems that isn't a big deal for the current generation.

13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Baaaah LMAO.

1) autonomous cars will only be accepted by society when we accept that computers WILL kill people. And when do we think that will happen...?
    2) Autonomous cars will only work where it doesn't rain/snow/freezing rain/ice/drop leaves/has mud etc. etc, simple facts that the sensors wont work.
    3) people wont own cars. Hmmm..I've read several articles about this recently, mostly pushed by finance companies. Ie the trend to lease/long term hire...lets get them suckered in now for life..!

As to this article...

"You've probably seen headlines about accidents involving self-driving cars but the truth is they will be far safer than ones driven by you and me - they won't get regulatory approval if they are not. " I'd be stunned if the government has the first clue about what standards and criteria to set for autonomous car software systems. They will be driven by the social media hype and lobbyists. The software safety I come across, they haven't a clue; and the stuff I deal with is fairly basic.

"And range anxiety - the fear that you might run out of electricity - won't be a problem either. Should the battery run low the network will send a fully charged car to meet you so you can continue your journey". Has this idiot looked at the environmental impact of this and the logistics involved?

"And, please take note: I haven't mentioned the enormous environmental benefits of converting the world's cars to electricity.". Yeah, and the electricity comes from...the little pixies sat on your shoulder? And the Lithium for the batteries comes from...unicorn pooh and is disposed of as fertilizer for daffodils and roses? What a fool.

The problem with all this is, its brainless dweebs like this guy who get press time and thus stir up the populous that don't know any better and thus the politicians. Just look at the issues to do with diesels currently. This has been know about for decades...!

For sure things will change, but one thing I will guarantee is that I will NEVER get in an autonomous car on open roads.

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno. My guess is autonomous cars will be safer than human drivers. Plus, more and more urban residents are giving up daily drivers, even on Houston.

paulchua likes this.
  15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Weather autonomous cars are safer than you or I, I have my doubts.

But, even if they are safer, they will kill people and the software will decide who is killed.

I just can’t see society accepting that anytime soon, even if they are substantially safer.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    We're car guys. I doubt I'll ever buy or rent an autonomous car, nor an electric one. But the reality is most the public doesn't like cars anymore. The game has changed, particularly in the urban areas. NYC was once drowning in horse ****. Today, thanks to Henry Ford, it is drowning in ICE cars. Things change.

paulchua likes this.
  17. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'm 66. If such a scenario comes to pass, I think I'll be long gone.

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Good points about the journalism (or lack thereof) in this article.

19. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Keep in mind that autonomous cars will be driving in the left lane at or below the speed limit - it will be worse than Prius's. And you will get a ticket in the mail if you cut one off.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #metoo66

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It took less then 15 years for the horse and buggy to be replaced with cars. Just 100 years later we have paved the planet to accommodate the car. Never mind building the infrastructure to support it.

It's really not a big leap to electric. Every home has a plug, etc.

And yes, they are far less damaging to the environment then an ice car.

The self driving car is a bit more further away, but everyday to becomes closer reality. Remember, people thought the car was a novelty that would fade away.

Now the horse is the novelty, and the car is a necessity. Things change, and change fast.

22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The solution is teleportation. It's just a matter of time.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Beam me up, I'm ready to go.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I suppose it could happen, you never know what's in the works out there..