Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev!

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Sep 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Great read and some really exceptional work.
    Thank you Trev. I'm looking forward to seeing and purchasing the final product.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

360trev likes this.
  2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it is over most poeople's head actually. mostly because of those abbreviations we don't understand, for example, what is "PHY"?

a

3. MCASEY

MCASEY Rookie

Apr 1, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Hello,

Great job, fantastic to read all this information, very stimulating.

What would be a pratical RPM limit to apply to a STD 2004 Modena engine? I would like to try 9000rpm? Open to any ideas or suggestions from others.

I will have larger MAF's and Std exhaust to start everything else STD.

Will the larger MAF's and extra RPM lift the peak power point? Do the CS's make max power higher in the RPM?

Thanks ALL.

Matthew

4. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    I can’t wait to see the final product, that’s what I’m waiting for!!!

becir1 likes this.
  5. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I read some Ferrari literature that indicated that the 355 engine had been designed for 10000rpm . They reduced this in the production engines for longevity . The 355 and 360 engines are very similar both having 5 valve heads among other things . The Pankl 355 Ti rods are properly engineered pieces of kit , they use the rod bolt to locate the bearing cap on the rod . On the 360 Pankl Ti rod they moved to I think a cheaper dowel to locate the bearing cap ( removing material from rod bolt thread area to allow for the dowel ) This was probably done because of the much high production numbers of 360's and wanting to save costs .
    Interesting to see that the Challenge race cars rev to 9500rpm , mileage is not a big issue with these motors as they get rebuilt/freshened often .

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Late to this thread . Will this increase low end power where it is desperately needed. Immo delete desperately needed by me

360trev likes this.
  7. Aus360C

Aus360C Rookie

Oct 15, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Julian Mazzone
    Thanks 360Trev this is brilliant , do you have any timing table comparisons for the Modena vs Challenge vs CS, I also have some spare EUC's however I need to Virginize or disable immobiliser, Have you had any break-thoughts regarding this.

360trev likes this.
  8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Won't be long now.. Pm me and we will get you on the waiting list ;)

SS288GTO likes this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev

Immo is done and in testing. Fully passing all tests done so far. The curious thing is I decided to opt to remove the entire immobilizer and alarm system, including keyfob the lot out of the car. Its actually meant that my car (which still has full batt backed up tracker system) now lasts 3 weeks+ (and still going strong) on battery without needing to be hooked up to a tender... That damn old bosh system was responsible for depleting the battery and requiring our cars to be tethered to a tender. Not my car.. My replacement alarm/immo will be hyper energy efficient so as to continue this as I really like it! ;)

clean512, imahorse and SS288GTO like this.
  10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Don't forget to pull the latest version regularly from github, lots of changing going on daily and now LOTS of new features. More coming v.soon. Going to add ability to compare roms with one another v.soon

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    When you show any map you can use the -hex and -adr options and also sometimes you may wish to use -nophy too. PHY is the original value from a map translated to a physical representation of the value so it's easier to understand.

Bosch on these older ECUs had to be super efficient so stored numbers in a different format to fit into 8 or 16 bit representation (1 or 2 letters per cell entry) yet they can still represent much higher values by taking the stored value and multiplying it by a given conversion factor so it means something. The PHY value is that converted value, the ADR is the ROM address it's located at and the HEX is the raw value directly dumped from the table. You can use the addresses to directly access the correct offset in the ROM file you wish to edit, the hex value shows what you expect it to look like and the physical (translated) number what that hex represents.

If you need more info I can give some examples...

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I got lost a long time ago but am following closely because I have my screwdriver set at ready to remove
    the Immo parts that will no longer be required or my ratchet set to install whatever it is that Trev is brewing up.
    So bring it on dude!

13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Very nice work. :)

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

its a real shame that I have an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering and my final project in college is , if my memory serves me, about to make a circuit board to read a chip's value and somehow modify it to suit a particular purpose. Yet I forgot all of those........

15. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    I keep reading, learning and getting excited for the eventual results and what features will be available for my 2002 F1 Modena. Keep up the great work Trev!

16. SS288GTO

SS288GTO Rookie

Jun 13, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Snorre Stølen
    Wow :) Very very impressed of your work 360trev
    I am new to this Ferrari ownership. I just changed my manual Porsche 993 to a Ferrari 360 Modena F1. I love the car, but since i Bought it two months a go I have experienced the problems with the immobiliser... For no apparent reasson there is no power to the starter motor. so i guess this must be the problem I have.
    So I am very interested in the endproduct here. A bit worried how the get this solved.. But I am a customer anyway!

360trev likes this.
  17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I will keep you posted. Making some great progress towards a final product. Aim is to make it really easy to use. This thread just serves as a glimpse at the detailed work going on underneath the big button that you swipe with you finger ;)

18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well I must have done something right because I had a member on here kindly do a working rom pull from his USA spec F430 ignition ecu and low and behold Swiss Army Knife tool already works right out of the box on the F430 1Mb firmwares without ANY changes. Yes, that's right. It can automatically detect the F430 rom information segment AND I've successfully verified it does the ROM checksums too without any issues. Also seems to work (unsurprisingly) on the Maserati 4200 ecu's too and can also calculate their checksums without any problems.

Obviously it doesn't detect the all maps for the F430 yet (although the generic map finder DOES find quite a few!!!) it does find some things like Air Flow Meters!

..I think therefore I will be supporting both F430 and 360 with the Rom Tool very soon now.. Already I've worked out how to do a few things. More to follow...

This is fantastic news as I should be able to do an IMMO delete for the F430 too now without too much extra work...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

_TS, SS288GTO and MCASEY like this.
  19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

trev, great work,
    so basically, your software is like a portable tuning shop, only cheaper, and no real-time tuning (for HP). It is a switch between different OEM versions with the ability to turn "on" or "off" some of the functions.

am I understanding you correctly ?

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Actually the plan is for much more… (which is why I'm waiting for some prototype hardware to arrive from China...).

What I am going to do is take my Swiss Army Knife software core and 'port' onto a small handheld controller which you can keep in the cabin. The hardware chosen has both Bluetooth and Wifi integrated. It also has connection to the car via both CAN (supported) and K-Line and it as a built in gyroscope too. I’ve even got a module which I’m exploring to allow update of the software over GSM mobile connection automatically so its always kept up to date.

Due to the unique way I’ve written the software for our ECU's we can integrate software directly into the rom and do very advanced realtime telemetry functions. This makes us able to do ‘professional’ grade capturing directly out of the Ecu itself.

Feature Roadmap - Top 10..

Realtime Telemetry functions:
    You’ll be able to real-time telemetry capture onto a sd card (In a similar fashion to the way it works on the official Ferrari Telemetry option). Since we have a screen you can also choose to see some of these value updated directly on the screen either graphed or numerically, e.g. wheel speed sensors, g-meter, (it has its own built in g-meter gryoscope).

Realtime Map Swapping:
    I’m certain with some more effort I can get this to happen by selecting the map on the handheld controller, e.g. exhaust valves maps at or all off, all on. Also swapping of maps such as eco map for highway driving, fast road map, etc. A bit like the manetto but fully configurable on screen.

Realtime Map Editing:
    Yes the aim here is to allow you to use the cursor keys to go to a particular area in the map and use a thumb wheel to adjust values on the fly. E.g. at a dyno and see instantaneous results. I’m thinking about how to do this in such a way that its intuitive. If not I will spin it out so via wifi you can connect your laptop directly to it and do it from that..

Diagnostics functions and fault code reset:
    It will support the full diagnostics, like having a built in SD2 computer in your pocket. Since it written specifically for the Ferrari it will do all of the same functions supported by the factory (setting PIS, clearing fault codes, etc.). full diagnostics with full descriptions of the fault codes described and also tell you which modules the fault is originating in (.e.g Left Bank Air Flow Meter and recommend things to check to correct the fault).

Bluetooth TPMS
    Yes you’ll be able to can buy an inexpensive TPMS module (sub $100 including all sensors!) and see its results on the screen, set alarms and warm up thresholds for the tires. Great for warming up tires on a track day or to see if they are overheating.

Advanced Battery Condition Monitor
    Constant monitoring of the condition of battery and detection of a failing battery. It will send its status via bluetooth to an app on your phone (also viewable on the handheld controller). This will explain not only the voltage drop (colour coded and with a percentage bar for easy understanding) but also estimate days left (and self learn from your battery with actual data from your car) so you will know exactly how much time you have left before you have to put it back on the tender. It can also alert you via a message to plug in or go for a drive to recharge battery and tell you how long you need to drive (estimated) before its fully charged.

Advanced Alarm Monitor
    I'm not a fan of alarm sirens, people ignore them and they just annoy you. As such I'll be developing the module to alert you via a notification/alert to your mobile phone (or secondary phone).

Keyless Entry
    Discussed previously but junking the factory immobilizer entirely and a replacement module allowing it to sense your phone and automatically unlock/lock doors when your registered device gets within a specified number of feet away.

Digital Dashboard Connection
    This one initially is for me only but I’m replacing my entire module with a digital dash and the telemetry function data is feeding directly into this. I’m going to include overlay for Google Maps and many advanced features. It will be spun out later as an extra add on.

Music Sync Engine
    I can add support to sync music either from your phone or home LAN. Exact details to follow. This will be played back directly from the SD card. This is quite nice since I can support protocols such as DLNA or Apple Airplay directly. This can be integrated in such a way that if there are fault codes it can mute the music and give you notifications.

Etc. and much much more… Now you know why I'm calling it the Swiss Army Knife!

Since ALL the existing tuning products are designed ‘generically’ you’ll never get anything near what I’m doing. They all just want to do 10,000 different cars whereas the focus here is very different. Its not about making tonnes of $$$. I cannot believe tuners are charging thousands of $ for simple map swaps. Once this happens it will be a thing of the past. You’ll be in total control of your ecu’s…. YOU…

21. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Really excited for this Trev and absolutely willing to be a paying beta tester

360trev likes this.
  22. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    ^^^What he said^^^

360trev likes this.
  23. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Impressive work, Trev!

So, when you´re done with the 360 version, will you do the same for the F430? :)

As you seem to be very experienced in the ECU digital deep forest, would it be possible to do a software that could check F430 F1 clutch status, do clutch alignment and have a function to bleed the F1 system after oil change?
    For us that do selfservice, that would be great! A "Mini SD3".

360trev likes this.
  24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It's item 4 on the top ten list!!!

25. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018