leather care for garage queens | FerrariChat

leather care for garage queens

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ttforcefed, Sep 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    t has occurred to be that i have probably over serviced my cars as well as over detailed. So now after 20 years i have a good sample of new cars i bought 20 years ago as well as newer cars and with conviction i can say there is virtually no point feeding leather more than annually for a climate controlled garage queen. I have a few cars that have all cohabited in the same facility for the past 11 years and you cant tell the difference between the car that has been feed twice a year versus the car that has been fed once every 3 years. they're all ferraris around the same vintage.

for those of you who have climate controlled garage queens, how often do you clean/feed your leather?

2. S-T48

S-T48 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    Curious to know what is that garage queen?

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the real measure of leather preservation is probably the amount of exposure to UV and sun light. If all your cars are driven about equally and also spend the majority of their time indoors, then your observation is likely confirming that leather feeding is more exposure related than time related.

4. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    I use Lexol conditioner twice a year with good luck.

Most are modern cars , no vintage at this time.

I agree with the other posters, amount of time in direct sunlight probably does more damage than being parked inside of climate control environment.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    almost 2 dozen of them - pretty decent size sample

6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I do the leather before the car goes into storage which is usually around November then when I take it out of storage usually around may I do the leather again and then usually once during the driving season. I use both cleaner an conditioner every time I do the leather.

7. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    One more Level of Leather Protection for a Garage Queen is Humidity.
    Being in Michigan I run a Heater in my Garage for Winter which can Build Humidity. So I bought a DeHumidifier because Humidity is bad for the Frames on my 64 & 68 Corvette.
    But during the Research of "What Humidity Level" to keep it at, I had read that too low is Bad for Leather. Ideally it should be around 45% Humidity or Your Leather can "Dry Up"

8. Partycrasher

Partycrasher Rookie

Mar 4, 2017
    leaving the windows open a touch helps to more air through the car and not allow a lot of moisture build-up. a quality car cover is a plus.

9. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Leatherique annually seems to be sufficient in my experience.

10. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    I like using Adams Leather Conditioner. It leaves a nice satin sheen and no greasy feel.

11. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    care to share some pics??

mikesufka likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Of the cars? There all over the respective sections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Would love to see your collection - I realize that’s asking a lot ...

MDS

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I admit it, mine are total garage queens. I do the leather once a year, coincidentally every January. Because they are in a climate controlled environment and have limited constant exposure to UV, I don’t tend to do anything intense. I used to use Connoly Hide Care, but now, given that the leather is very clean, I simply do a spray rub of either Griots or McGuires. Both are very easy to apply and the scent is short lived.

Flyingbrick242 likes this.