Spec'ing out a 488 GTB tomorrow need advice!!! | FerrariChat

Spec'ing out a 488 GTB tomorrow need advice!!!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dead at the scene, Oct 12, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dead at the scene

Jul 1, 2004
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Paul P.
    Hi all,

I am going into my dealership tomorrow. I am an approved customer. This is not model specific question per se. I really want the the car in the color that they rolled the original year car out in. I have been told by the dealer that the color I want is called "Rosso Corsa Metalizzato" Code PNTN I have not seen an actual car or a 488 for that matter in this color. Which is why I kinda want it. If anyone owns one or has seen a car in this color and has an image to share please hit me up. Also I was wondering is there anything I should get and not bother with? the color in question is the image here.

Many thanks in advance,
    Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Congrats, pretty nice colour.. others here know more, I am sure they will eventually chime in.

Dead at the scene likes this.
  3. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I’ve seen it on car and most of the time it looks like regular Rosso Corsa. If you want something different take a look at the triple layer paints like Rosso F1 2007, Rosso Fuoco, Rosso Maranello. Otherwise save some money and go with regular Rosso Corsa.

tfazio, dustman and JohnTz like this.
  4. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Kind of agree. It's really hard to notice that it's metallic. Looks a little deeper than Rosso Corsa in certain lights but will cost a lot more.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My must have items-

Goldrake seats
    Led steering wheel
    Horse on the headrest
    Shields

The rest is personal preference.
    As far as RCM color- it’s very similar to regular Rosso Corsa. I’d put the money elsewhere on other option.

6. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Everything that excites you is a must have :)

7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Three things:
    1- You did not get "approved" for anything, that's just your dealer trying to pull a classic marketing trick to get you excited, sorry to burst the bubble.
    2- The 488 shown in your photo is not what yours will look like from the factory. In your photo, the 488 is significantly lower than stock and this can be seen by the little to no gap in the wheel wells.
    3- The same 488 has the sport sill covers (the dark colored trim on the side just below the door). This can also be ordered in Carbon Fiber, but at a far greater cost that simply isn't worth it, but certainly go for the sport sill covers for that aggressive look.

clandestine likes this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Wow, not exactly a barrel of laughs are you?! He did not explain what he meant by ‘approved’ so don’t know how you know he isn’t (and I don’t believe you’re sorry at all..) The real 488 looks even better than the render (see below) and if you love carbon fibre (which I am 50/50 about and didn’t order on my 488 but did on my Pista) then it is worth it.

For my own view, the 488 is a great choice, a really brilliant car. The race seats I find to be comfortable and important on fast drives with a lot of cornering energy, the LED wheel is a must because the revs spin too quickly and you can see the top of the wheel with your eyes fixed on the road, forged wheels are worthwhile IMV for lightness, strength and possibly resale and colours are personal but there are some very good no-cost colours if you are worried about that but I usually go for triple-layer which are great, although my spider is Blu Corsa - about £8k in the UK. I use CarPlay more than the standard infotainment and I customised some of the elements such as sports sill and rear vents by the light cluster to key in with the Grigio painted wheels. A bit of customisation can make the car feel quite bespoke and doesn’t have to cost the earth.

Above all....enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ca_scud and Gullwing like this.
  9. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    The Rosso Corsa metalizzato is nice but not worth the extra $13k than Rossa Cora IMO. The difference between the two is small even when placed side by side. The RCM is metallic vs flat and has a slight orange hint when in the sun. But if you see the color & like, go for it! Here are pics of mine with RCM.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Agree with the whole "approval" thing. I would venture to say any person currently walking into a Ferrari dealer for a 488 is going to be "approved". With regards to the sport sill plate, I would skip it and just have it wrapped in black. You can always change back down the road.

boobernackle likes this.
  11. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    The 488 is a brilliant car and you will enjoy every minute of ownership. Congratulations on your ability to acquire one. Well done. It’s a very special feeling when you take delivery.

As far as the color I went Roso Corsa. I really could not tell the difference with the metallic one. My must haves were the Shields, LEDs steering wheel and the suspension lifter as I store my car in the winter on a lift and without the lifter it would not make it. The rest are whatever turns you on and can be almost an infinite combination of appearance items. Enjoy every second of the process and drive it in good health!

12. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry to hijack thread but if you back onto the lift, would you still scrape? As far as the spec- very nice, I got the CF side skirts, they did cost a lot more than the black and I must admit it's hard to tell they're CF. I didn't get the lifter because I have it on my 458 and never used it. Unfortunately I did scrape the underside of the front on my 488 pulling out of a gas station. Very slight damage but it's the first scratch on any of my Ferraris so it hurts! Also, unless you drive at night, the AFS lighting is an expensive option.

13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My hope is that you will enjoy your new 488 as I have! Don't over look Rosso Scuderia for the exterior color! It may become a 'keeper' with electric assist or variation coming.

14. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I would get every one of the following options:
    • Goldrake Racing Seats (hi-tech car deserves beautiful hi-tech seats)
    • Racing Seat Lifter (nice to vary seat height on occasion)
    • Racing stripes on seats (really dresses up the interior)
    • Embroidered Prancing Horse on Headrest (just classy)
    • Special Contrast Stitching (accentuates the interior)
    • Scuderia Ferrari Shields on Fenders (must have)
    • Brake Calipers in color of choice (a pop of color makes a world of difference)
    • Forged Wheels (lightweight and better looking IMO)
    • Sport Exhaust Pipes (aggressive looking)
    • Leather Headliner (just because this car deserves a full leather interior)
    • Leather Rear Bulkhead (same as above)
    • Steering Wheel in Full Leather (no CF) (car revs too quickly to watch the tach)
    • Front Parking Sensors (rear sensors are standard) (essential when parallel parking)
    • Rear Parking Camera (also essential when parallel parking; also, your eyes are the front parking camera)
    • Inner and Outer Electrochromatic Mirrors + Homelink (must be ordered separately if race seats are selected)
    • Front Suspension Lifter (saved me a few times already)
    • Adaptive Front Light System (must be ordered with suspension lifter)
    • Premium Hi Fi Sound System (excellent sound IMO)

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That’s what I did with mine but if I was to order again, there are two option. One is carbon fiber for like 13k. The other is black paint for I think about a grand.

I’d paint it next time.

And btw- if you are getting a lighter color- black sills are a must as well imho- really “slims” up the car nicely.

Viperjoe and of2worlds like this.
  16. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Only addition would be stitching.

I think my pal U-Boat Commander has that colour. Search for his posts or shoot him a pm.

Don’t dismiss Rosso scuderia. My 488 spider is that colour and it’s spectacular in full sun!

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. That’s a must have and the stripe in the middle of the seat is pretty cool as well.

Rear camera and sensors. Must have.

18. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    You can specify, at no cost, the brand of tire you desire. I have speced Michelons on my yet to be built spider (replacing a GTB) since that seems to be the concensus choice on the forum from "those who seem to know" as the best street/track blend. Others may weigh in with different opinions.

Gullwing and Viperjoe like this.
  19. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Viperjoe likes this.
  20. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Why do so many 488's have a black interior? The shades of tan/brown are more classic Ferrari and look so much nicer.

Gullwing and Bob Sullivan like this.
  21. Bob Sullivan

Bob Sullivan Karting

Aug 18, 2005
    Great Falls, VA
    Full Name:
    Dr. R. A. Sullivan
    Get Rosso Corsa and save a bunch ... the metallic is not that much different.

My 'must have' options;
    LED steering wheel
    Shields
    Logo on seats
    Full electric seats
    Parking camera
    Front and rear sensors
    Forged rims (RMSV)

I'm not a carbon fibre fan but I did go with carbon on the air splitter and the rear lights (without carbon you get cheap black plastic)

Have fun!

Bob

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Personal opinion. I personally find the tans and browns old and boring.

sfcorse, IPO1 and Cigarzman like this.
  23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Probably because black looks better. IMHO.

24. waynelawson

waynelawson Rookie

Nov 20, 2016
    UK
    Interesting to see GTB are still going down the production line...in the uk my dealer did not want to supply and more GTB since the Pista came along...maybe he moved all his new car allocation to Pista.?

25. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Yes, the inherited money folks with no ability to negotiate on this forum don't realize that Pista is NOT a limited production car and will just have to wait their turn to order, assuming you have good history. There are sufficient GTBs and Spiders out there for the market and they know Pista customers will be trading-in their 488 cars upon arrival. Pista has a higher profitability per car than a standard 488.

Supply depends on the area you are in. Portofino production has been shifted to the V12 assembly line and Lusso was always produced on this same line, regardless of engine choice. V8 assembly line has as much room for Pista production.