Need Advise - Considering Buying a used 2012 FF | FerrariChat

Need Advise - Considering Buying a used 2012 FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by D19Racing, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D19Racing

D19Racing Rookie

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nog
    I all I need some advice as I am considering buying used 2012 FF from a private buyer in FL Panhandle area.
    Car has got 29k miles on it. he is the 4th owner. I am from ATL.

Car is out of warranty and out of maintenance program.

However closest ferrari dealer from panhandle is in ATL or Orlando.

Seller is willing to let me drive the car to ATL for authorized Ferrari dealer PPI at my cost.. Is this a good move?

Are there any local ferrari mechanics in Destin FL ? who can check out the car for me prior to purchase?

He also advised that gets the car services at his local mechanic (Top Auto) in destin fl who also services other luxury cars.. ?

Question I have is should I buy the car from a private seller or from authorized ferrari dealer that costs more ?

Your advise will be greatly appreciated.. ?

2. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    No ppi in the area? Does he have any records of service to look over?

Private or dealer doesn’t matter if it’s taken care of and documented. Wouldn’t this car still get maintenance done by Ferrari no cost?

3. D19Racing

D19Racing Rookie

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nog
    I am unable to find any good ferrari independent mechanic in destin fl. I will have to rely on his mechanic (Top Auto).

He sent the carfax it was clean. he also advised he will share the service records. He is the only owner not to have serviced the car at an authorized ferrari dealer per car fax. He cited it's too far to take it.. he had bought car from Newport CA from luxury car dealer not ferrari dealer about 4 months ago.

4. CptJoe1983

CptJoe1983 Rookie

Aug 4, 2017
    It's funny you are posting on here about that car. I just went to see it, I live in Destin. My advice, it's cheap for a reason and had a lot of owners for a reason. Never buy the cheapest Ferrari on cars.com lol. Seriously

gh0st0 likes this.
  5. D19Racing

D19Racing Rookie

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nog
    What did you make of the car ? Whats your feedback on it.. Did u find any issues?

6. D19Racing

D19Racing Rookie

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nog
    Thanks for your advise.
    you advised that u saw the car yesterday... still waiting on your feedback on how the car drove..., etc.. if you took it out for test drive...? let me know..

I am getting it inspected at the authorized Ferrari dealer before deciding to buy it.
    So I am fine with taking the chance, if the Ferrari dealer comes back and lets me know that something is wrong and or may cost a fortune to fix.. then i will away from the deal...

Also If PPI checks out fine at Ferrari then i am planning to buy the 1 year power train warranty..

Lets wait and see. ...

PS: I was advised he was the 4th owner (keep in mind 2 of them were dealers who offered it for sale...) I have also seen the CARFAX... its a clean per it..

7. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Car fax doesn’t mean anything, that topic has been discussed here and there about it

Jaguar36 likes this.
  8. D19Racing

D19Racing Rookie

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nog
    Agreed Carfax may not always be true... Hence the PPI @ Ferrari dealer...

9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    While it is possible to service at independents, not sure if there are incomplete records, multiple owners and another fchatter suggesting no, it’s a good idea. Buyer beware. There might be cheap Ferrari’s but no inexpensive ones. My FF under new power had its transmission repaired and replaced at no cost to me. No warranty and it was 15k.
    Little things add up and even catching up to up to date maintenance for the new power product can be costly.

These are amazing machines. I just got out of
    Mine. I love it. I might love it less if I had to spend about 20k additional funds after purchase. The NP inspection is not everything.

Look at the thread on brakes. Nothing is cheap to remedy.

I’m not saying buy from dealer which is my comfort zone, but when a good ppi cannot be easily obtained think about it.

Good luck.

ScottS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Brent Hazen

Brent Hazen Rookie

Sep 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brent Hazen
    Just to set the record straight...Being that I think I’m the only Ferrari FF owner in Destin that I’m aware of, I have not had anybody come look at the car. I have had some phone calls regarding the car for sale, but, other than my detailer, I have not had anybody lay eyes on my car. I think it’s a beautiful car.

D19Racing likes this.
  11. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Haha. Interesting!! Good luck with your sale. I just bought a 2012 FF last week.

12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Thanks for clarification. It’s a nice color combo and beautiful spec. Why sell ?

ScottS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Brent Hazen

Brent Hazen Rookie

Sep 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brent Hazen
    I love this car, but I never drive it! I work quite a bit and my work has be traveling in the area constantly. Putting a few hundred miles a day on the highway just doesn’t seem right and moving all my work junk on the rare days that I stay in the area is a pain. So it sits in my garage and my detailer wipes it off for me every few weeks. I’ve owned the car a little over a year and have put 2500 miles on it (which is just a few days of driving). I’ll take it around the corner for an errand occasionally just to keep myself happy, but I thought I would use it more. I’m going to miss it going though!