Is 74 enough?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is 74 enough??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob in Texas, Oct 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    I have been a mechanic for 50 + years and have Always used never seize on many fasteners not using locktite . it does NO harm at all (used sparingly, & that's All you need ! ) and helps immensely! yes, you need to use, ( theoretically ) less torque ! you cannot ever really get an accurate torque on a used, thread, nut bolt , w/ some corrosion and threads that have stretched ever so slightly , worn etc. google research the topic you will see good technical support for never seize use and the negative is mostly just individual bias hardly expert opinion ! As we learned in academia, one should defer to the senior researcher! regards, Neil PS yes ,torque wrenches should be calibrated periodically it is VERY expensive! ask your local tool guy : snap-on, Mac etc PSS i can suggest this and similar articles ! ....
    Best Practices for Using Never-Seez® Anti-Seize and Lubricating ...

https://www.bostik-industrial.com/never-seez-best-practices-for-using-anti-seize-and-l...

May

2. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    One of many reasons I do not try to do my own work, setting aside the lack of : desire, tools, knowledge or space.

neil e dale likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I can but like you, I rarely do. I defer to my mechanic and he does a great job.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Edit - I stated this wrong - I meant to say that the click type torque wrenches are used in many industries... Don't know how I typed that wrong...

5. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    not terribly difficult to torque bolts/ nuts correctly ! when I have tires mounted? I take my car to the tire shop, jack it up myself in the parking lot and R& R the wheels myself w/a manual analog breaker bar and extension ! and torque them w/a calibrated wrench ( yes and use never seize ! ) no air gun ever touches my rides !

6. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    and torque specs are done on clean , new, unstretched, uncorroded threads a situ never replicated in real life ! there is some safety margin for over torquing how much ? who knows ? yes one should stick to OEM specs and make recommended adjustments if using never seize

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I love my can of Never sieze too...but not on lugs. There is a huge amount of science devoted to nut/bolt torque. While easy to turn a wrench, it is extremely difficult to do this job right. Many industries like aerospace devote much attention to getting this right. Dave says his business spends $ thousands calibrating his torque wrenchs! There is no OEM in the world who delivers your new car on wheels with never-sieze/anti-sieze on your wheels. Anyone who has had a new car and taken their wheel off has seen that. As a convention torque specs are always dry unless a manufacturer says it is lubricated. When you use anti-sieze you have no idea what your torque spec is. You may as well forget using a torque wrench if you are going to use the oem spec and do things to change that spec at the same time. Thankfully, there appears to be a wide range of what is acceptable so that we do not have wheel chronically falling off cars. But we do have a significant issue when the loads increase and the demands are higher. We see a very serious attitude about keeping wheels on commercial trucks. They have all kinds of things to help that wheel nut indicators as an example.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    well w/ all due respect we disagree and the preponderance of experts would be on my side, ( I believe! ) Fact, you will only ever get an accurate torque on brand new parts clean and dry ONCE when brand new ! is the point! you can be close enough using never seize. and the parts will not chemically react and permanently weld themselves together! - which is what we are trying to prevent! now I made a bit of $ replacing ruined parts so affected ! but it is hardly worth the aggravation when it can be totally prevented! The only problem I've seen is folks using too much! ( never seize ) - so Don't ! If you do a literature search, a sort of mini meta data type my position will be supported .

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not on torque wrenches alone, all of our measuring instruments combined. And we have a lot - this is only one drawer full :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well we will agree to disagree. Our goal is to keep wheels on cars not prevent cold welding which that stichion really is not. That stichion is really bad maintenance. Properly maintained wheels do not weld themselves to hubs and nuts don't weld themselves to studs. New parts? Of course but the engineers also factor in service life and service use when they choose those torque specs.. There is no engineering behind guessing at new torque spec lubricating a wheel nut. If your choice is a stuck lugnut where you break the stud getting it off or a wheel coming off at freeway speeds the choice is clear. You are looking at this from the hassles on the job and ease of your service. I'm looking at it from ultimate goal and safety. A wheel, lugnut, stud, and hub are consumable items.

neil e dale likes this.
  11. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    ok never had a lug nut come loose ! ( that was tight ) had chain drive sprocket bolts back out on a racing M/C once and we drilled , safety wired them ! hence , never again ! will probably be safety wiring heaps on the Ferrari ! - looks cool too ! ( love safety wire ! it's kept airplanes from crashing and gotten me out of speeding tickets several times ! police saw it and and said " gee this is safe to go fast on w/ all that safety wiring ! ) LOL true story ! here's how we secured our floor matts on our saab 9-3 viggen cv ,( it's a manual so the feet are busy ! ) used our best sunday go to meeting' brass safety wire ! the fasteners are virtually almost under the seat. as for the wheel nuts , studs seizing ? Reckon thats called galvanic corrosion ? an electrochemical reaction of dissimilar metals ? why stuff gets stuck , welded.? a tiny, the merest whisp of never seize applied w/ an acid brush will prevent it ! Image Unavailable, Please Login

fatbillybob likes this.
  12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    HH11, Need4Spd and Skidkid like this.
  13. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    ahh, I do this with my track bikes as well!

neil e dale likes this.
  14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I note in the service records of my previous 355 and current 430 Scud that Ferrari of Seattle uses 90 lb/ft on lug nuts. They check prior to and after the test drive.
    I have a pair of Utica Tools clicker torque wrenches I have had for years. I am probably the exception, but have them periodically tested in both directions and they are always spot on. Any critical measurement tool should be tested and calibrated periodically. (a friend bought a pair of Craftsman torque wrenches a few years ago, and both were out of calibration right out of the box! It is not expensive to have a torque wrench tested. Some shops have their own torque wrench tester and will check for you for free if you ask them politely.

whatheheck and Dave rocks like this.
  15. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    yes we did too ! such tiny filters ! we were able to fit a much bigger (1 liter extra ! ) filter that matched the specs of the OEM saab one no room on the Ferrari - maybe a little longer ? seems a pre-oiler would be a good idea a moroso oil accumulator ? ( the leak is power steering fluid - new hoses on order ! ) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    yes was require by the rules as I recall

17. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sooooo.. Both front wheels were tough to get off and when i finally did (see post #1), it looked like the problem was at the wheel pilot (as dave said its called) - that circular ring about 1/4" tall. You could see on both the pilot and in the part of the wheel that fits over it that there was corrosion (well, i don't know what to call it). Sort of like what you see on faucets with hard water. These are OEM 430 wheels.

To prevent further freezing-up, I think I'm reading that it would be ok to use a little anti-seize around this hub--sparingly? Not on the lug bolts. That was a question

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

Bob, yes, that is likely galvanic corrosion caused by two dissimilar materials in contact. Yep, apply a very thin layer of anti- seize or grease to the pilot and all will be well. Wipe clean and reapply each time you remove wheels.

19. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Yes, and most experts will concur there is nothing wrong w/ using it ( sparingly ) on the wheel studs / lug bolts as well! Read the professional literature, do a google search you will see the vast preponderance of the expert opinion is hugely in support of its use! anecdotal reports and personal opinion are sadly, always suspect! Once parts are used , Engineers will agree you will never get totally precise accurate torque reading anyway that's just reality ! read the expert advice in torque reduction required w/ never seize use...................... here are some good literature / research sources : .............................
    6 Tips for Effective Use of Anti Seize - FCP Euro's DIY Blog

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/6-tips-for-effective-use-of-anti-seiz
    Jul 15, 2014 - In extreme situations, using anti-seize without reducing the required ... as a shortcut to aproper repair of damaged fasteners, some applications ...
    Anti-Seize Compound Application Review | Engineers Edge | www ...

https://www.engineersedge.com/.../antiseize_compound_application_review_13389.ht..
    Anti-seize materials and compounds are used on threads, bolted joints and even ACME ... Torque should be reduced appropriately when using anti seize with ....................................................................................................................................
    Understanding The True Value Of Anti-Seize - Manufacturing.net

https://www.manufacturing.net/article/2013/04/understanding-true-value-anti-seize Apr 5, 2013 - Although the purpose of an anti-seize may be obvious due to its name, it is a subject ... was applied to the threads of the bolt, the deviation was reduced to 3.2 percent. ... With the utilization of anti-seize, and when the proper, ...

Bob in Texas likes this.
  20. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks to all for the input and pointing me in the right direction.

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I have titanium bolts..... Mine are at 90 lbs. ...dry

Bob in Texas likes this.
  22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    so was there ever a determination of the proper re-calibration of the torque spec for lugs that have had Never Seize applied?

23. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’m not a pro but I have been turning wrenches for 35 years.

If you read some of the material on this specific question (including the links above) There is no definitive answer.

Personally I don’t have any problem removing my lug nuts and especially lug bolts bolts from any car. Even Bertha my 1985 plow truck that sits outside never has a problem.

my fcar never sees rain/snow. So what specifically would adding never seize add? It only seems to complicate a relatively simple process.

If you read the links posted, IIRC the first one specifically states not to use it on lug nuts (I would assume bolts would be included). So that post which was supposed to support its use, does quite the opposite.

With the problems in determining an accurate new torque, I can’t see how to justify its use in situations where a particular torque is critical.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    well I see no point in a senseless debate ! as always in social media, it devolves into subjective personal opinion and suspect specious spurious logic as opposed to a considered carefiull reading of relatively recent relevant readily accessible accurate sources of professional advice and or research! Just because someone eschews the use as a personal decision does not negate the vast amount of literature that supports its use ! I have always used it sparingly and always shall unless it is specifically recommended not to by a particular manufacturer or is contraindicated in a particular application! As it is clear, and well-established one cannot possibly get an accurate torque on a used dry threaded fastener , IMHO and that of the preponderance of experts, one could and dare I say should use it sparingly judiciously and appropriately if desired , w/ an appropriate reduction of torque when tightening just figure out a proper reduction ! not terribly difficult really ! and if I may ? we advise on all other vehicles ( and including a Ferrari ) don't allow anyone to EVER use an air gun tool to remove or install bolts/ nuts unless really necessary

25. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Huh?

I think the question was on lug bolts. I don’t think anyone here will argue with the utility of never seize. I agree you should use what ever and where ever you wish. I am a big fan of the stuff and use it frequently.

My point was how can one recommend a particular torque? There is no exact conversion constant.

Just because there is now an error in torquing a previously torqued bolt doesn’t mean this error is made better by adding a lubricant and guessing on a conversion because of the lube.

I personally haven’t seen many problems with dry fitted lug nuts/bolts seizing, especially in pampered cars. Have you?

I think this actually morphed into a great thread because I have gotten an education in the benefits, and complexities of lubing threads and torquing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

neil e dale likes this.