458 Rattle/Creak Windshield | FerrariChat

458 Rattle/Creak Windshield

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Lagunae92, Jul 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I have a rattle/creak that seems to be coming from the lower passenger side of the windshield/A pillar area. The car has been taken in to look at this and the issue was addressed with a foam sealant someplace along the A pillar. It seems to have lessoned with that, but is still very persistent with every bump and nuance in the road. The dealer has done a good job of working to find the exact culprit, and has narrowed it to the windshield. Apparently removing it is quite risky and more than likely it will crack and the bill will be $5K. Has anyone had anything like this come up in their car? It's a 2013 and it was bought from the dealer and has the extended warranty. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    My friend just had that problem with his 2013 coupe
    The dealer had the car for a few times but finally found the a A piper was rubbing together underneath and did a beautiful job
    With foam and got rid of it.
    Not the windshield.
    Anymore questions I can ask my friend to help you.
    Where are you from?
    We are in New York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    My dealer applied some foam, but with noises and and the way sound bounces around in the car it is hard to know exactly where. It would be great to know where they applied the foam, as we can at least try that. I can post a video of the sound and maybe your friend can see if it is the same as what he had? I am in Southern California. I appreciate your help, as this is enough of a noise to deter my enjoyment of what's singing behind me!

4. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    I had the same problem with my 2011 coupe. The passenger A-pillar was creaking. Took it to the dealership they said they tighten something and it might have helped for a couple of days than the noise returned.

I fixed it myself.

I disassembled the glove box to see if I could access anything, and that was a MF to get my hands through the small openings with no success. That chore solicited every word of profanity because it is a true PITA.

Here is my solution.

With my wife driving I listened carefully, with rags and a can of WD-40 with a spray nozzle extender tube, I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed and sprayed until the noise was gone.

Then came the dubious chore of wiping the excess oily the residue from the windshield in the dashboard. I left the windows down for about a week or so, and the smell was gone. Now two years later there is still not even the tiniest squeak.

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Same problem with my 2013 458 italia - I sprayed leather conditioner or something all around (as I remember) and then just rubbed it into all areas where the leather joints were. That resulted in the problem going away for about a year or so. It came back a little bit just before I traded the car in.

Ray

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Diagnosis is critical. I have had that problem when a windshield was not glued in well. The result is a creak. It is also possible that in the area of the creak the glass will eventually crack. Windshields are tough and fragile at the same time.

8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    The dealer thinks this is the problem. I’ll try everything else first in the mean time.

9. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    Hi. My 2013 coupe is doing the exact same. the creak appears to be inside the A pillar. Did you manage to fix it?

10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
  11. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    update..my dealer wants to remove the windshield and fix a spot weld! I have asked them to enlist help from the factory...let us see what happens

12. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I’d be curious as the the outcome. My deer seems to think the windshield will likely crack upon removal. Keep us posted!

13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Before you have them remove the windshield, have them call Ferrari of Long Island and speak to the service manager. They have had success fixing it without removing the windshield!
    I think they just used expandable foam in the A pillar to fix it.

14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I had this done as well, and it fixed a rattle. I still have a creak that remains. I’m hoping this windshield idea is the last piece of the puzzle.

15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Any update on this?

16. italian1072

italian1072 Rookie

May 13, 2015
    Mine is the inside rearview mirror glass. It happens intermittently usually at a maintained 4200 to 4500 rpm. It is set off by rough road and if the car is cold (cold weather). Touch and stabilize the mirror glass when it is happening and it stops..let it go and it rattles again. Took me over a year to figure out my case. Dealer was great...they tried some things with the dash and the roof but it didnt change anything. One day i hit a real rough patch of road in the twisties and i guess at the perfect rpms and it was loud enough and strong enough that i could finally localize it. Ran that patch of road a few times controlling the rattle by touching the mirror only. Finally figured it out. New rearview mirror is almost 4k for the 458. I figure i can stop it when i want if it starts rattling or maybe a little glue along the lower passenger corner should do it. Im sure many things can rattle but if you have a rattle maybe check your rearview mirror glass. Maybe my experience can help someone.

Ash Patel likes this.
  17. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Had the same annoying issue with the mirror and my tech dismantled it, and saw some loose parts inside, issue was fixed less than 30 minutes later :)

18. Baperay

Baperay Rookie

May 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I had the same problem with a pillar rattle noise , bought the car to Long Island and wide world , they spend few hours on it and rattle still there , can you help ?

19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I PM'd you