How to assess 430 Scuderia brake pad and rotor health? | FerrariChat

How to assess 430 Scuderia brake pad and rotor health?

Discussion in '360/430' started by dwe8922, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    How do you assess ceramic brake health?

Rotors: I believe the rotor material to be the same chopped brembo carbon material like Porsche's pccb, where rotor status is based on oxidation level through the core of the ceramic. It seems wth the Porsche, they used to remove and weigh them, but now it think they use some type of scanner to determine the oxidation level.... What's the proper way for Ferrari?

Pads: I found a post by Aldous

https://aldousvoice.com/2018/06/14/ferrari-ccm-brake-pads/

and he says scud pads are 10mm thick new, wear marker warning sensors are at 4.7mm, yet a pad he measured at 5.7mm was showing the brass studs which damaged the rotor. What's the recommended minimum thickness to change pads?

Thanks,
    David

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You are correct for the 360/F430 non silicone top layer type rotors: it is oxidisation. Visual inspection has always served me well. Weighing is inaccurate because material transfer in-extremis can skew the reading.

The brass studs do not damage the rotor.

3. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    How do they visually change when they oxidize?

4. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    There are some good reference .pdf’s from a post on the BMW forum: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115439

You can see the oxidation as spalling of material, like pitting. Weighing them will also work, but you have to clean them first. The min weight based on weight at time of manufacture is engraved on the rotor. Basically as the carbon gets too hot it burns, or oxidizes and you lose material.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat