Any info on the gold Mondial 3.2 at Tillack? | FerrariChat

Any info on the gold Mondial 3.2 at Tillack?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by stuttgartdavid, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stuttgartdavid

Dec 23, 2003
    Does anyone have any info or opinions on the 1986 gold Mondial 3.2 coupe at Tillack's near the beach? He has had it advertised for over a year with no takers. The car looks and drives good and has a solid service history from two long-term owners, BUT it has 100k miles on the clock.

In a non-Fcar, high miles don't scare me, and 100k isn't high miles for any other 17 year old car. Yet here it seems to completely destroy any resale value, especially if the car isn't red. Am I missing something about this car, or is the market really that bad for Mondials?

Does anybody know the car I'm refering to? Any opinions?
    Thanks

2. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I know which car (and thought of buying it for a daily driver).

Problem is:

• Mondial isn't the most desired Ferrari (I luv 'em though)
    • It's an earlier model
    • Gold is probably the least popular color for a Ferrari
    • It is a coupe (some would argue cabriolets look better)
    • It has high miles for a Ferrari

That's why it hasn't sold.

If you're buying it and plan to keep it for just a few years, don't plan on getting what you pay back unless you pay less than they're asking OR paint it red. And before anyone pipes in "you'll destroy the value of the car" I say hogwash. Car is already as depreciated as it's going to get, and showing potential buyers of the gold car will have them say "I'm glad you painted it red" as they hand you a check.

No, I don't advise buying and painting the car (painting will cost you at least 25% of the value of the car). But it's an option to consider.

I say (after having a PPI done) buy the car if you a) like the gold color; b) want to have the most unusual color on a Ferrari at events; c) you really like the Mondial and don't mind the high miles and d) none of the above items in the list bother you.

Otherwise, if *any* of the above items are an issue with you, keep looking, there are plenty other Mondials for sale that will have what you require.

If you like the car, and a PPI checks out, low ball Tillack, they've had that car for like 2 years.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Gold?

Does anyone have pictures? I can't imagine the Mondial in gold.

4. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    second one

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    stuttgartdavid,

JUST received this e-mail from Tillacks:

This car was purchased new from Hollywood Sportscars by Henry Baker. Henry used the car as a daily driver right up until I purchased it from him in 2002 to use as my second car... Henry maintained the car to a very high standard . The paint and interior are original and both are in excellent condition. I added 4 new tires within last the 500 miles... There is currently 86,000 miles on car. It is due for a 30K service. The service can be included in the sale price, which will be completed by our shop prior to delivery.<<<

SO deferred service (bad), and is it 100k miles or as Tillacks says, 86k miles? Any other opinions from anyone who has seen/driven this car or dealt with Tillacks? ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

7. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    stuttgartdavid

as a personal experience regarding gold mondials
    i'm referring to an 85 QV cabriolet which i had an experience with
    it was difficult to resale when it was time to sell
    this was about 8 years ago

the car was in great condition and only had 40K miles
    purchased at $35K kept for 2 years and sold for $21K
    it needed the service when it was time to sell

what took so long and the reason for the low ball to sell the car was the color.

how much is Tillack asking?