Enzo Ferrari: "The Jaguar E-Type is the most beautiful car" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Enzo Ferrari: "The Jaguar E-Type is the most beautiful car"

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Jun 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    TBH, I do agree with Enzo (whether he actually said it or not). IMO, the series 1 E type is the prettiest "modern era" car. ONLY the series 1!

Rifledriver, Saabguy and Oengus like this.
  2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Commendatore stated that before they introduced the 308... :D

ciao

rob likes this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That's stunning: no doubt about that.

But I consider Ferrari 250 California LWB, Lamborghini Miura SV, Lancia Aurelia B24 America, Mercedes 300 SL Roadster and 300 SL Gullwing, Porsche 356 Speedster, Ferrari 275 GTB/4 and DINO 206 GT better looking and better cars.

Enzo Ferrari had his opinion like everyone else… ;)

ciao

Thomas Magnum, Rosey and FrannyB like this.
  4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    In my personal opinion, the E Type is great (stunning, one of the top ever) from a side view, but it's not the best in the front and rear view. This said, it's a stunning car!

ciao

5. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    DITTO

Rosey likes this.
  6. judealexander

judealexander Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    I will say I never understood the allure of the E-Type...until I bought a '67 roadster that had been full sorted. Having driven a number of beautiful Italian cars over the years--'69 Ghibli, '70 Miura S, '73 Espada, '85 308GTS Euro, '85 Downdraft, and '74 365 GT4 BB--I was amazed how well the E-type drove. It is lightning quick thanks to great power-to-weight ratio, very comfortable, has a lovely gearbox, smooth ride due to independent shocks all around, and has a beautiful dashboard with nice "jewelry". Dropping the top is a plus, and you'll soon come to love the elongated shape especially taking the car out into the country--it certainly adds a lot of romance to the day. Your wife or significant other will probably love it, they look pleasing vintage when you take it about town or park it, and it exhaust note has a throaty warble under acceleration. All this for a fraction of the cost of many other exotics, but looks like prices will only continue to rise. Forget the early E-types, get a Series I with comfortable seats and a 4.2L engine, ending production in 1967.

The 308 is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed, in my opinion--perfect from every angle. I find the later euro version with short bumpers, and a deeper front air dam, with a prancing horse on the grill, and fog lights, to be a work of art. The design of the cabin, instrument cluster, gear lever, and seats, are spectacular and a feast for the eyes. Only car better, from a visual perspective, is the 288 GTO, in my opinion.

To be honest, was slightly disappointed by the 308's fuel-injected motor since it lacked the direct connection to the engine you get with carburetion. However, handling is amazing, particularly around the corners.

Best,
    Jude

7. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A euro spec 308 is as good as it gets. I love the 288 for what it is but the Speedline wheels and high mirrors don't work for me. Blasphemy I know, but I don't care for the E type either.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob likes this.
  8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I come a little late to this conversation. I was very fortunate to have as my first car at age 16 a 1970 Jaguar XKE II 4.2.
    The school bus dropped me at the corner down the street from my home. On the walk home I was recalling the previous weekend. I was being driven to work by my dad. As we past the Porche dealership there where two cars in the used lot. A 911 and a Jag Xke. My dad asked “if you had a choice which would I like the best?” The lines of the Jag just mesmerized me and I said without hesitation the Jag.
    As I reached into the mail box at the end of the driveway something in my peripheral vision caused me to jerk my head around.
    There it was! The very same car I had seen that weekend and was ruminating about on my walk home.
    I was totally confused and approached the car like it was an alien spacecraft that had just landed before me. W*F !!!.
    I went in the house and on the kitchen table were two sets of keys on Jaguar fobs. My dad walked in and said “well let’s go.” You see I only had my learners permit and couldn’t drive by myself.
    I couldn’t talk, not a word left my mouth, just an attempt at breathing was difficult.
    As I approached the driver’s door I spotted through the window that gorgeous dash. Two huge dials, a row of gauges and a row of switches. All sorts of knobs, levers and indicators. I climbed in and ran my hands over the wooden steering wheel. Spotted the choke lever and then realized that it was stick shift! I had never up to this point driven a stick shift but had experience with shifting and using a clutch on my dirt bike.
    I slid the long slender key into the ignition switch, looked down the most incredible front hood with louvers staring back pushed in the clutch pedal, pulled out the choke lever and with a quick whir of the starter brought the straight six to life. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and to this day remember the sh*t eating grin stuck on my face.
    After a minute I eased the choke lever in, the rpm settled. I shifted into reverse and slowly backed up to face straight down the driveway.
    I don’t think I slept or ate for the next few days. I spent all that day and weekend becoming one with the car. Can you just imagine what it was like to have this exotic foreign car in your driveway at 16 and turning the two latches that released the hood to reveal the most unbelievable sight of a multi-carbed engine with ceramic headers visible on the opposite side? Overwhelmed would be an understatement.
    That engine was a 4.2 liter with dual Stromberg carbs. It would be another year before I rebuilt a 3.8 liter triple SU carb engine and made the swap but that’s another story.
    Needless to say that Swan Tan Jag went everywhere. We had adventures that would fill volumes. And yes the first clutch didn’t last very long. But I learned on that delicate clutch and the second one lasted well past the time I had to give up the car for a more reliable car for graduate school in the city.
    This was back in 1973. The greatest year I can remember.
    Although I don’t have a digital picture of my car to post I did find a stock photo.

Truly a special time in a special car.

Basal Skull, thorn, Saabguy and 2 others like this.
  9. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Opinion is like butt. Everyone has one. If Enzo said it doesn’t mean that it’s a fact. Maybe he did say it but that was his opinion. I totally disagree with him. There were so many other cars of that era including Ferraris that are much better looking IMHO.

Thomas Magnum and 308 milano like this.
  10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The 308 doesn't hold a candle to the E-type..........and I own a 308. But also several XKE's over time. Just don't expect them to start all the time.

Jack-the-lad and Crowndog like this.
  12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  13. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

That’s crazy talk. But made me laugh. Thanks.

Rosey likes this.
  14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Had a 65 OTS and an 83 308GTS concurrently for over 12 years.

XKE was a great car after I upgraded the shocks and springs, put in electronic ign, changed to better cooling system and put on a SS header. Car was concour when I bought it and and was close when I sold it and I drove the crap out of it. Two more yogrades woyld have been better wheels and tires, quick steering rack and lighter flywheel. Drove a car like this and it would have wiped my 308.

Love the 308 and still have it. Sold the XKE, because it had more value, to fund a Boxer.

As for beauty, the series 1 XKE is gorgeous and I still get a bit of want when I see one, but I would take a 246 Dino GT over an XKE in a second and several other Ferraris for pure beauty, but not a 308. 308 is great looking car, but I do like more rounded lines. What do expect from a 60 y/o cogger.

Crowndog likes this.
  15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Crowndog great story!

No disrespect meant to you owners but the E type is an acquired taste..
    That I never acquired.

Thomas Magnum and Crowndog like this.
  16. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Hmm... seems more like a personal problem if ya ask me. ;-)

Crowndog likes this.
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  18. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    The e type is not bad and has some beauty but it is a design not requiring much talent,however the 308 design is a work of pure genius and the more beautiful car obviously..

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Enzo was wrong, the Miura is a more beautiful sports car than the E-type.

Heck what about the 275 NART Spyder?!? Enzo, what were you thinking?!?

-F

Rosey and scudF1 like this.
  20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Was this either a 3ltr. bottle or typical italian ripp-off, when they meet a foreigner, preferred from overseas?

Your sister in law has a great taste :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Well, if Lambrusco is bad, it incriminates Enzo Ferrari's judgement. According to issue 29* of The Official Ferrari Magazine, Enzo Ferrari was a huge fan of Lambrusco.

* I think it was issue 29... it was in one of the 2015 issues for sure.

22. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
  23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Enzo did gather a lot of highly talented engineers around him and chose the right designers. That's all I know about Enzo, though I have read all the romanticised mystery tales :)
    Sorry, one thing I forgot, which I know as well. I would never, ever have him wanted as boss :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

24. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    The E-Type was introduced in 1961. If he said it you can't compare it to cars that were not even born yet.

dwhite likes this.