New 458 owner with questions... Appreciate the help | FerrariChat

New 458 owner with questions... Appreciate the help

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by NorCal458, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NorCal458

NorCal458 Rookie

Sep 17, 2018
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    BG
    hey guys. I am the happy owner of a 2013 458 Italia. The car has most options I wanted except backup camera and no iPod/iPhone 30 pin connector. At least I can’t find the connector.
    So 2 questions
    1)What are you guys running for aftermarket and or interface back up camera
    2) What do I need to do to get music playing from my iPhone thru the factory JBL system

Thanks in advance

2. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Did you look in the glove box for a iPod connector. That s where it would be if the car has the option.

3. NorCal458

NorCal458 Rookie

Sep 17, 2018
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    BG
    Yes all that's in there is the USB to download songs and a multi disc changer.

4. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do you have an iPod connector in the glove box? If you do you can connect an iPod or a Bovee device which will allow you to stream from your iPhone.

5. sbenus

sbenus Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2009
    San Juan
    Full Name:
    Simon
    My 2013 spider didn’t come from the factory with the iPod connector when I bought it last year. I ordered it from the dealer and had it installed. Pretty quick and painless and everything is factory and works. It connects into the back of the CD changer. The dealer can do it for you or a competent installer.

Regarding the backup camera, mine didn’t have it either. Being a spider I don’t know how anybody ordered it without them since rear visibility is awful. Unfortunately, I looked at every option possible from OEM to aftermarket and it’s just not feasible for any reasonable cost to retrofit a back up camera. I’ll just have to bite the bullet and be careful when maneuvering or parking in tight spots.

Hope this helps.

6. Lennox

Lennox Rookie

Oct 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    A J
    1. Any high end audio shop would be able to install a backup camera for you.

2. Not sure, I have heard it's impossible to add an ipod cable but the poster above says it's possible.

7. sbenus

sbenus Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2009
    San Juan
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #7 sbenus, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    1. on some 458 models it's actually not even possible due to the instrument cluster used since the camera would need to connect to it to display on the right side screen. on others might be possible but not as simple as it sounds for a number of reasons. plus the cost involved is ridiculous. I tried

2. I did it. It's easy, not impossible. Any dealer can do it

8. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    remove the glove compartment and AC control will reveal the cd changer. If all you need to do is add ipod cable to the back of cd changer that's definitely doable

backupcam was told it's difficult or cost prohibitive..even more so for a spider with all that mechanism in the way

i would look at a wifi battery powered license plate frame with backup cam or something

sbenus likes this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    With the factory backup camera, even if you don’t otherwise need them, you need reading glasses to make out objects because the screen is so small! But it’s useful and yes, cost-prohibitive to retrofit. Among other things, the factory unit requires a different bumper to accommodate the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

sbenus likes this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    any links to what cables to buy? i'm in the same spot