612 bumper question | FerrariChat

612 bumper question

Discussion in '612/599' started by icelander47, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Are the black pieces on the bottom of the bumper skid plates or something else. Need to get one replaced.

2. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    If you're talking about the curved black horizontal plates on the front corners below the bumper cover, those are splitters and have a role in airflow management to reduce lift. Your belief that they might be a stylish skid plate is understandable since 612's are notorious for dragging them at the slightest provocation - very few cars won't have an abraded undersurface to some degree but they're not replaceable as, in best Ferrari fashion, they're actually molded into the bumper cover. If you're talking about the black vertical plates riveted under the bottom of the rear bumper cover near the exhaust tips, those are something different but basically another aero device with a secondary cosmetic purpose.

3. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
  4. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Either a new bumper cover for you or perhaps a VERY good fiberglass shop could fabricate something and tie it in to your existing bumper cover - it would be very shade tree though. Someone markets a sacrificial stick on plate for the bottom of the factory splitters but it won't do you much good if there's nothing to adhere it to. I've seen them get torn up but never actually heard of one MIA before.

5. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Mine isn't Mia, just a scratch

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mine were a bit scraped up in the front. A little bit of Bondo glazing putty, some sanding and black paint and they look like new. Until they get scrapped up again.

7. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
    A scratch can probably be fixed by a good body shop with just a little bit of paint.
    I know the Hill Engineering has skid plates for other Ferraris but haven’t seen anything for the 612... maybe it’s a different application - as clonmeliw mentioned for airflow. But they sure look very similar

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat