Buying my first Ferrari...How important is buying a car from a Ferrari dealer? | FerrariChat

Buying my first Ferrari...How important is buying a car from a Ferrari dealer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by John Salvador, Oct 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I’ve been searching for the perfect 458 Spider, and want to know how important is it to buy a car from an authorized Ferrari dealer versus an exotic pre-owned car dealer versus an individual? How much of a premium do you think is attached to buying a car from an authorized Ferrari dealer if any at all? If I don’t buy a CPO car from an authorized dealer, are there any good warranty companies to get an extended warranty from? Many thanks for all advice.

2. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Curious on this, I come to think it’s probably a good idea to build a good reputation with a local dealer if you have one

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Ferrari dealers usually insist that any car they list is cherry...

No accidents, clean carfax, recent major, and most service from them...

You will pay a premium, but I suspect it's safer...

4. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Unfortunately that hasn't been my experience buying from a dealer.

I bought my first low mileage F car privately - it was the only one on the market where I live. FSH and still under free 7 year service plan. Saved apx 20k on dealer price.

Second F car I just bought from the authorized dealer. What a HASSLE. Their PPI wasn't 'accurate' and I now have a second PPI showing the actual faults.

There was a disgraceful level of service and bungled transactions which I will be referring to the parent Ferrari company.

It's so dealer dependent - buying privately has been good for me several times but I've ALWAYS viewed and driven the car and done heavy due diligence prior to buying (including all private info authorized by current owner to be given to me).

Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I live in the UK so I am guessing it really isn't that useful.
    I have had three Ferraris, none of which were brand new but I have bought two privately and one from a 'dealer' I say dealer but they only dealt with higher end executive cars (in fact my F355 was the first they had ever sold, and my previous Mondial that I exchanged sent to auction).
    That was my least favourite experience.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It’s a cliche but it’s true: buy the car not the dealer.

Don’t buy from the dealer if you can. Pay less, get a PPI, and set the huge would-have-been premium aside for any repairs.

Matt

paulchua, MalcQV and John Salvador like this.
  7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Do your due diligence, but buy the car you fall in love with. I've bought two from non-Ferrari dealerships and one from Ferrari. No significant difference.

TheDiffuser and paulchua like this.
  8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Invest in PPI's and demand service history, no matter what. You may have a little more leverage for getting things fixed buying from a dealer, but the premium you pay will probably wash that. You can have your local dealer run the VIN to find out what warranty work it had completed. I've found individuals know their car better and you may have better luck getting that maintenance history from them. Due diligence is the key, not the seller.

paulchua likes this.
  9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I bought my first Ferrari from an independent, my next from from a dealer. As other have said, most probably your experience will depend on which independent and which dealer, but my dealer experience has been excellent. I go to Cauley in Michigan and their Service Manager is one of the top two in the world (not just because I say so). I have built up a relationship and that has been invaluable. I get tons of good advice and also am invited to great dealer events.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Also worth noting is there is often a disconnect from the level of service you get from the sales folks and the service dept. Some have great sales folks, and less then steller service dept (or vice versa.)

Shout out to Silicon Valley Ferrari, I've had great experiences on both sides.

TheDiffuser and G. Pepper like this.
  11. FerrariTrini

FerrariTrini Rookie

Jun 18, 2018
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    ANDY RAMJATTAN
    I visited a few dealerships when shopping for my f430 and found them to be unreliable and dishonest.

12. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    Hi Andy,

Could you elaborate on your comment? Specifically what makes you feel that way? What happened?

13. FerrariTrini

FerrariTrini Rookie

Jun 18, 2018
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    ANDY RAMJATTAN
    I visited 2 Ferrari dealerships in Florida and both gave information about the f430s on their lots that was not true to include but not limited to clutch / brake %, previous owners, records etc. One would expect when purchasing from a dealership that the process would be seamless and honest but I found this to not be true. I ended up buying by f430 from a private owner. We conversed about the car for about one month. He shared all the records, declared all issues and was totally transparent. I built a relationship with the previous owner and we are still friends today.

G. Pepper likes this.
  14. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Flat out not true....they are the same as any other car dealer out there....they want to sell cars.....due diligence is an absolute must regardless of the dealer

FerrariTrini likes this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is great advice IMO. All else being equal, for a first purchase, I wanted the car to be certified and hence from an authorized dealer. Happily, my wife and I have been blessed thus far to have great purchase (Miller in CT) and service (Boardwalk in DFW) experiences. But, as you will find on these pages, not everyone has a great experience with the sales/service teams @ their locations. I would venture into the regional forums where the places you are thinking of buying/servicing your Ferrari from, gather any intel you can from recent posts, and ask F-chatters about the specific experience @ that dealer, seller, independent, etc. Good luck...T

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. BLKZ06

BLKZ06 Rookie

Oct 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I don't have a lot to add for the OP, and this is my first post...but I have not been treated all that great by the couple Ferrari dealers I have visited looking for my first exotic. I have owned literally 75 cars, but this is my first "big boy" purchase of over 175K and I'm looking for a 458. The 2 dealers I visited were pushy, but maybe that's how they all are. I don't know. Definitely made me want to buy thru an individual though.

As an aside, can a guy with a Bendpak lift, all kinds of tools, and experience building motors and even salvage cars work on his own Ferrari? The dealership acted like it was blasphemy to even ask.

Again, sorry OP...I didn't want to start a new thread with a similar question!

17. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    No worries. All input is welcome. I too would also love an opportunity to buy my dream car directly from an individual, but it seems almost all 458s trade hands through some kind of dealer.

18. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    My 2’cents is basically this, it is only important to purchase from an authorized Ferrari dealer if the car you want (spec, color combos ect) are on the lot and are CPO or CPO certified and you want the power warranty.

All else aside I think it’s more important to know the faults that can be present in any model you choose and have a good solid PPI and paint, body and frame check done and if buying from an individual try to get service history as mentioned above.

I’ve looked at a lot of cars at independant dealers and found that unless they specialize in rare and exotic cars they know virtually nothing about the car they are selling. And some independant dealers will tell you anything to get a sale. As for authorized Ferrari dealers there are plenty of posts about which ones have been great and ones that aren’t so great. Again some research could save you headache in the long run.

I actually have suspended my search currently since I used the money I had allocated for a recreation vehicle tward the purchase of an appt complex. Ultimately I hope that I’ll be able to be able to afford some of the models that were not able to be considered before with the added income revenue from the new purchase.

John Salvador likes this.
  19. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    To your point just saw this video about one particular dealership involved in a law suit over mileage roll back:

https://www.ferrarifobs.com/how-to

Buyer beware.

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There are several guys here who work on their own cars. You can find them in the technical threads.

BLKZ06 likes this.
  21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    If you hone down on buying from a dealer there are other aspects.

What car ? All but the newest which are under warranty or service can be serviced at independent service shops. If you’re looking for something newish or special maybe not

How common? Ferrari dealers may have access through clients to more cars not on the market and are able to know who might sell ( as do other dealers ).

Do you eventually hope to buy a new Ferrari?
    This aspect is contentious here. If you hope to do do , a used car is a start.

Do you intend to use them for service ? Again contentious but my experience is a good relationship is possible without buying but it may help. I presented to my current dealer as a multi car owner who relocated to the area and then bought from them. It’s different

Do you want to go to Ferrari events new car rollouts etc. ? Do you want help with Ferrari events/ factory tour etc? All are easier access not absolute.

If you are looking for older than 458 (458 goes either way) then the value purchase with a PPI and service history is a private sale. Newer it depends. For me a good ppi is. Ether than a dealer word and cheaper. For the newer cars the dealer will often include if pushed a. Ew power warranty which can be helpful especially on some of the latest cars as a hedge against engine/ transmission issues. Older cars not as important with service and ppi.

These are expensive cars and things happen no matter what.

Hope this helps.

What are you looking for specifically and where? This site can often help.

ScottS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Ferrari dealerships are no different than any other business in that there are both good and poor salespeople.
    There is also most likely a significant amount of turnover of some of the sales staff.
    If you don't have a relationship with anyone it could be that the salesperson your talking with started the job 3 days ago and doesn't know squat about anything.
    Amazes me how consumers often assume that the person in authority is an "expert"......couldn't be further from the truth.

23. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    This is so true, do you homework, LOVE my service department, but have bought 2 cars and neither from that same dealership due to poor sales team.

paulchua likes this.
  24. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’ve purchased three Fcars from three different Fcar dealerships and have had no problems whatsoever. F Long Island , F Palm Beach and F Tampa
    Two of them were purchased over the phone and one involved a trade . I would do it all over again . Maybe I’ve just been lucky. Best, Kirk.

G. Pepper likes this.