488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 5 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #101 intrepidcva11, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    The car started as a 330, modified by order of the Commendatore for his friend, Leopoldo Pirelli, CEO of Pirelli SpA, by installation of typ 245 4.4 liter engine of the following model 365GTC. Pirelli had Campagnolo hand-forge these wheels for this car making them the prototypes for the Daytona's wheels. BTW, they are 15" wheels, the only GTC with 15" wheels.

Caphill, Bundy, JGrey and 4 others like this.
  2. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #102 boobernackle, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    That "owner" never existed, simply a dealer ordered car that they're trying to sell at maximum price.

In the US, dealer games have NOTHING to do with FNA. By law, dealers are franchises, which have some of the toughest protections, mostly under State laws. NADA is the largest lobbying entity and this is how you know that VIP "lists" are only at the dealer. By law, a car manufacturer CANNOT force a dealer who to sell a car to and who not to sell a car to, that's all up to the dealer and the open market. You would have to run a dealership to know this.

For cars like the LaF, Ferrari circumvents this by having the dealer compile a list of clients and send it up... The list ALWAYS happens from the dealer.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yes patience is a virtue

Sent from my 16M

SoCal to az likes this.
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    cool history!

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I don’t know....Patek and Hermès seem to have the same game of “buying” multiple pieces before getting the “Nautilus” or “Birkin.” They all want you to pay up before getting the exclusive model.
    I was searching for a 5990 and did not have a close dealer relation. I was introduced to a friends dealer and they wanted me to buy another Patek before I would be able to purchase it. 5711? Forgettttt about it.
    So I just found one on the second hand market.
    Always gotta pay to play.

Sent from my 16M

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    And here’s me thinking that 30 years working in car manufacturing, distribution and dealers would have taught me something. Still I take solace in your very last few words. To help you out.....another example. On another thread a poster reports not being able to order carbon wheels for a Pista. Ferrari planned on 20% of orders with carbon wheels but demand has been 50%. They’re leaving a lot of money on the table but are forced to stop taking orders for carbon wheels, and no Spider will be supplied with them. Because the supplier cannot simply increase production because Ferrari want to. It would be hugely risky for them even if they could manage it - what if Ferrari went somewhere else or some issue with OEM carbon wheels developed and 90% of their business was with one OEM?

The GT cars have numerous such components, supplied from outside, which cannot easily be ramped up. Hopefully your limited level of comprehension could at least see the possibility that a manufacturer who leaves a lot of money on the table is doing it because it is not easy to just solve it by increasing production. Otherwise they would do it.

Frosty614 and of2worlds like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I dont get watches...those look so average to me, like a Seiko. Now I know how people feel when i talk about cars and they dont get what’s so special.
    Completely agree with your comment about just going to second hand market. Speciale, Pista and so on.

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Plenty of people do get watches which is why there is a massive market for them. Patek reigns supreme. :)

9. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Out of which 600-700 will make it to US.

There are far more Porsche dealers than Ferrari dealers.

Dealers who did not even get a 918 allocation themselves, we are 3-4 on the list. No change to even see one land there.
    911Rs, some big dealers did not even get one.
    It's a different allocation process to dealers at Porsche.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    And to 98% of the people they have no idea what A Patek is and only notice your watch if your wearing a Rolex.

Shamile and SoCal to az like this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Which is why Im attracted to Patek. Those that need to know, know.

perrinnation and BaronM69 like this.
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yep same for AP
    Panerai used to be that way but they sold out as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    One would like to think that Ferrari who likes to pride itself on being one big family would have a better grasp of the demands their clients typically make. This from a company that has raised the promotion and selling of carbon parts to an art form. Carbon wheels; a brand new performance product that many would likely deem a 'must have' to complete their Pista spec.
    Plus perhaps more significantly those who want both sets of wheels for their Ferrari not just one set. Yet another niggle to throw the product planners a curve.

14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    While growing up the Dupont Registry magazine was always inspirational reading. Out of all the watch advertisements, I always gravitated towards Rolex by the design.

I saw all the AP, Patek etc. I wear gold and diamond Rolex President because that's what I wanted. Yes, the other brands are higher in cache....but if I bought one of those I would have to admit to myself I bought it to impress others....not what I loved by it's design.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nmcclure likes this.
  15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Pp to seiko (except some unique grand seiko) would be similar to Ferrari to kia.

Ash Patel and Shamile like this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I would argue one wears diamonds and gold because the general public knows what diamonds and gold are- ie expensive.

If you want to impress yourself, you wear what feels good to you- whether it’s rolex, Patek, ap- seiko whatever - cause you don’t care what others think...

Caphill, nmcclure and BaronM69 like this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Which is EXACTLY why I wear a Patek!
    :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    You forget...I'm a Lamborghini guy!

...I'm naturally flashy. ;)

If I wore a Patek, I would be trying to impress people in the Ferrari crowd....don't care about that lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Caphill, Ash Patel and SoCal to az like this.
  19. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    As far as Patek over list not possible at an Authorized dealer. They would lose the brand in a heart beat if they asked above MSRP just as the same would happen if they got caught discounting it. The second hand market for Patek Nautilus, Aquanaut and most anything in steel is very strong and there is where you see the inflated pricing as it should be.

Now of course with the hard to get ones they may have many orders already from there best customers so the watches would go there first when available. That is as it should be as well.

Sorry about the pivot. Now back to cars.

Shamile and SoCal to az like this.
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    While I do not necessarily disagree with those dynamics, I would submit that despite all the aforementioned protections afforded dealers in the US, it’s nevertheless true the manufacturers still enjoy the power position. The dealer will always go to great lengths to gain favor with the factory and avoid disfavor. The OEM decides the allocation methodology and that methodology can range from formulaic to opaque. It can change at any time and for any reason. Play nice, get good cars on time. Play bad, get bad cars late. This is especially true for brands that enjoy limited edition cars. Think for moment about the Ford GT, as thousands and thousands of Ford dealers did not get a GT allocation. Of the ones that did, each and every one was a kid that played nice in the sandbox. And as vital as allocation is to the lifeblood of dealers, it’s nearly insignificant relative to the most important function that the OEM’s leverage against dealers, namely that the OEMs decide who is awarded dealerships in the future. If you want to acquire more of that brand (and you probably ALWAYS want more) you do what the OEM says to do when the OEM says to do it. So yeah, dealers are super powerful and protected by franchise laws, etc, but ultimately you never jack with the OEM.

21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Although dealer potections are not quite as strong in Europe they are still very strong. And exactly the same situation you describe exists here too.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    While your comments about the carbon wheels may be accurate,it has no applicability to Porsche and their marketing of their 911 variants, There is virtually no exclusive parts endemic to the 911R that is not also used in the manufacture of the 21 different 911s. The same applies to the GT cars. The strategy being adhered to by Porsche has little to do with parts exclusivity and all to do with marketing.

23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Complete suspensions, wheel and tyre, braking system, the complete engine, even some body parts and plastic mouldings.....

GuyIncognito likes this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No car companies actually manufactures most of the component parts that comprise their finished vehicles. They are supplied by contracting firms. Some of these parts are off the shelf with others being manufactured to specifications dictated by the car maker.

Viperjoe likes this.
  25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #125 plastique999, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Absolutely agree here, I buy my watches for myself - for their history, heritage, movement quality, finish, etc. In fact, my Patek flies so under the radar, no one recognizes it unless they are a WIS. I also love and own Vacherons of which few people recognize.
    I would argue that everyone owns Rolexes partly because everyone recognizes them (excellent branding like Porsche’s).
    Now Ferrari and Lambo to me are like AP and Hublot, flashy...everyone recognizes a Ferrari, the whole world does. So who buys a Ferrari to be under the radar. You have to admit that owners of Ferraris know they are going to be seen in the spotlight....otherwise get a 911.

View attachment 2616855

Sent from my 16M