The BORA | Page 18 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Bob.
    Yes all figured out today.
    For some reason i have an extra outlet on the bottom of the tank which i have now terminated..It had me confused but with some research and talking to a couple of my Maserati/ Citroen contacts all working fine. However i we spent hours trying to get the hydraulic system operational. The regulator wasn't cutting in and out. and the headlight pistons would raise but not retract.. It turned out we had connected the 2 high pressure flexible pipes into the light switch in reverse It's so pleasing as i replaced all the steel hydraulic lines and not a single leak has developed..Now the pressure is on to have the car completed by the 28th October to display it at our annual concorso.
    Greg

red27 and staatsof like this.
  2. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    My Bora restorations almost complete, I will post photos on completion.
    I want to replace the original seat belts with the retractable type but i am having trouble find a retractable belt that can be bolted to the firewall above the seat headrests.I envisage i need a belt that can accomodate the angle of the firewall and still be able to pull the belt out with out it locking..
    Has anyone change their belts with a retractable belt and if so what brand and model works?
    Regards
    Greg

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The later Boras came with a retractable belt. The entire mechanism resides on the shoulder anchor point which obviously is anchored to something besides that flimsy fiberglass firewall. Look through some photos of the later American spec cars like Ivan's and mine. There are lot's of pictures of his on the internet. It's an ugly solution that didn't work very well which is why I switched to a 3 point racing harness, obviously not at all suitable for racing WO the 4th or a 4th & 5th point fastened to the floor but OK for street driving. Who's going to want to cut up those seats for that? I put in a cross bar to secure the belts and hold an extinguisher as well. I took my car to the Silver State open road race in Nevada during the 1990's a couple of times.

That's not a solution for you though.

I bet all Bora owners would like to see you solve this.

Theoretically ... there might be enough room in those side members behind the rocker panels and thus be hidden under the floor? But that would require quite a bit of fabrication and maintenance/reliability? OMG!

Clearly Ing. Alfieri didn't give a crap about this ...

4. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I don't know about other Bora, but on mine which is one of the last built, #1000, the bolt that holds the seat belt retractor is quite substantial and screws into a metal mounting point that isn't part of the fiberglass bulkhead. I also found out that many years ago, Campana in Italy, still had some of the old belt assemblies in stock so you might inquire with them if there are any left. I bought a left hand and right hand assembly for myself as my original ones were all screwed up. I have also done what Staatsof has done and had a cross bar made that uses the two upper mounting points to which we made provisions for a racing shoulder and lap belt arrangement, skipping the crotch belts as I also don't want to cut up the seats. That is perfectly adequate for anything short of out and out racing but more of a pain in the neck for passengers as once you get the driver seat belt setup done to your needs you don't have to fiddle with it again and putting it on is only slightly longer than a regular three point retractor arrangement.

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I didn't mean to imply that the shoulder anchor point was flimsy, just the reverse. But it does look like a quite unsubstantial mounting spot because of the nature of the fiberglass bulk head. A big spool with a cheap as **** plastic cover up high on the firewall is not my idea of an elegant solution.

But perhaps a nicely formed aluminum cover covered in thin matching black Naugahyde or leather could improve that a bit? Mine came cracked at the edges.

6. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    The bulkhead fiberglass piece ends below the rearview window and the anchor bolt is imbedded in a structural member so it is more than adequate for what it does. As for the cover over the take up reel, it is a cheap as**** plastic cover but Maserati was still being held to tight financial standards by Citroen and Maserati used what they could whenever they could. It did the job despite being somewhat inelegant. Maserati, until recently, did as much as they could off the shelf because that was all they could afford. Still, it was a better car than its contemporaries, Ferrari and Lamborghini who offered mid engine competition.

7. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Thanks for the input..
    I suppose i should have given more thought to this earlier in the restoration as i could have easily done some modification to the inside structure of the rocker. I will follow up Campana and check if they hold any stock. I can always fabricate a cover and get it upholstered if the original cover is so crappy.

staatsof likes this.
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a similar ugly situation in my Espada. The reel would sit on the floor blocking smooth access to the rear passenger area. Espada's have a complex body structure that doesn't allow for modification in that area. Early cars actually routed AC flow through the rocker panels :rolleyes: AC doesn't really work on stock Espadas anyway ...

9. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    As i had to replace part of 1 side of the rocker we fabricated a mock up of the rocker as a reference. I could have easily modified for the retractable belt. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I just took a look at my car and on both sides of the plastic cover has held well with no cracks. Not bad for 40 years. I don't think it is that bad of a solution.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction likes this.
  11. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Thank you to all that have followed my progress with the Bora restoration and again thanks to those who responded to my questions. Without these Forums the task would be much greater.
    Attached are some photos of the finished project. I hope this will inspire other to handle the sometimes questionable sanity why we do these restorations.
    The pleasure of displaying the car and pride at the end makes it all worthwhile.
    greg Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

71Satisfaction likes this.
  12. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Congratulations. That has to be just about the best Bora on the planet. You should be very proud.
    Hope she runs as good as she looks!

M

13. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
  14. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G

Attached Files:

15. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Wow - just fantastic! (probably even better than new :D)

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    After all that and you got the steering wheel on the wrong side! I thought we talked about that ... ;)

What a gorgeous color on the car. It's also now put together much better than the factory originally did. But then you're crazy and they were businessmen.

Congrats.

Keep the stories coming about how it runs etc.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Greg many congratulations, great work and the car is gorgeous in that color. I hope you will also drive it a lot, in touring rallies, by yourself and track days or events like Targa Tasmania where another Bora took part a few years ago.

I love driving Boras and having driven all its first and second generation competitors it is by far the most well rounded, best handling rear middie of that period.

Have fun!:)

Marc

18. dmn23

dmn23 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    That is absolutely spectacular. Congratulations.

19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks fantastic! Enjoy in good health!

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What an awesome thread and magnificent car.

Maybe the story has just begun?

21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Looks very nice in green ! Now it is time to drive it!

Ivan

22. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    She looks brilliant in green.
    Great labor of love, dedication and perseverance.

Don't forget to drive and enjoy her as you now start the process of detail corrections and functional upgrades that will continue for as long as you are alive!
    Trust me.
    I know.

Warm regards & congratulations!

23. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Now that my car has been restored i have taken it out for a couple of drives but on a reasonably hot day i am having some over heating issues.
    I wanted to keep the car as original as possible as such i had the original radiator reconditioned and fitted to the car.
    What I believe is causing the overheating is my car is an early car without vents in the bonnet and the hot air cant escape quick enough.
    I know there have been some write ups regarding over heating on Ferrari chat but i haven't been able to search them.
    Any solutions how other Bora owner have to solve this problem would be most appreciated.Also your thoughts whether its the radiator or the lack of ventilation causing the problem would help.
    Greg

24. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    OK.
    This is a very complicated issue and there is no magic bullet!

First of all please note that your overheating issues HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HAVING AN EARLY CAR WITHOUT THOSE HIDEOUS VENTS ON THE HOOD.
    NOTHING.
    NADA.

Nonetheless, you have to start somewhere:

Step 1. Junk your original radiator and have a custom (min 500 bhp capacity) racing radiator built to its exact dimensions.
    (Mine was built by Evans ---of coolant fame--- in the US)
    Step 2. Have a custom shroud manufactured to house your two new monster Spal fans.
    Step 3 Purchase 2 new monster Spal fans.
    Step 4. Install 70 deg. C thermoswitch.
    Step 5, Make sure system is rewired so that both Spals kick in simultaneously.
    Step 6. Fill system with 70% distilled water and 30% antifreeze.
    Step 7. Add two bottles of Redline WaterWetter.
    Step 8. Discard your alternator and replace it with a Bosch unit in excess of 100 amps---necessary to feed your new Spals.

MAKE SURE YOU PUT AWAY YOUR ENGINE COVER FOR GOOD!

Come back and report.

Please note that these measures are not negotiable and that we can not proceed to the next steps (if necessary) until each item listed above has been
    completed.

Enjoy!

B.

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have not been successful finding a thermostat lower than 79C. The thermostat must be the type that closes the bypass when it opens, unless the bypass is somehow blocked. Which 70C thermostat are you using? Did you block the bypass?

Ivan