488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 6 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That is why Patek did a recent 20% increase in the 5711 and 5712 because demand is/was soo incredibly high. And Still, the second hand market commands much higher than that. The demand is so high, the market will bear it.
    Ferrari is trying to ride the wave as well with the crazy high MSRP of the Pista (as compared to the prevjous Speciale). The demand is incredibly high. The difference is Ferrari is even smarter than Patek because they even control and handle their secondhand market by getting their cars back to the dealerships and selling them for even higher than MSRP to whomever knucklehead bites.
    Patek should follow and do the same. But what happens when the house of cards fall like in 2008...Scuderia anyone?

Sent from my 16M

SoCal to az likes this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree. To 98% it’s a Kia.

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I know what you are saying but I’m not sure Ferrari or Porsche are being particularly clever in terms of managing the used market, merely using whatever they can to try and control dealers and customers (which is quite basic common sense) - in the end it always comes down to a ‘simple’ matter of demand v supply.

Where they are being clever IMO is in developing products that build on their remarkable heritage and are excellent to own and drive - they are all (including Mac) now so good at this. During 2008 Ferrari weathered the storm well, meaning that customers had to bear the brunt with heavier depreciation as in the Scuderia example you used, but if it happened again it is likely that both F and P have enough demand to do exactly the same. So depreciation would return to what could be considered ‘normal’ for cars. Whereas now it is not so expensive to own such amazing machinery (458, Spider, Speciale, SA and the 488s haven’t really been prohibitively expensive to own for most people).

I personally think it is easy to understand why these car brands want to try and protect serial buyers - they will come to rely on them if the cheap-money era comes to an end abruptly.

of2worlds and Shamile like this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Protecting serial buyers is a good thing. Every business should do that. Every business should take care of their good repeat customers. That’s customer service 101. What they should not do however is treat someone who is not a serial buyer as a second class citizen. This is where Porsche has failed. Bigly.

Realize that the email you did t return about the inquiry about a hard to get model or that phone call you never returned or that person you blew off in the showroom may one day become on of your best buyers in the future.

Or they may say screw it and go buy another brand.

5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Not sure I necessarily agree with Ferrari’s not being capable of flying under the radar. My Nero F12 seldom elicits even a second glance. Much like it takes a watch enthusiast to take notice of a Patek, I think it takes a car enthusiast to take note of a Nero F12. On the other hand, my Rosso Mars Performante makes minivan moms shoot videos while driving next to me.

Caeruleus11 and Ash Patel like this.
  6. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    of course...it's a red lambo!

IPO1 and Shamile like this.
  7. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo
    :( Patek does reign supreme, but I find their watches to be rather bland. I got the 5712 as a birthday present and wore it once. It's a gorgeous watch, but far too subtle. Patek + Bentley's go together well though!

This. I've gotten more compliments on my Oyster than on my Nautilus. Stopped wearing both to only run APs and RMs now.

I think the draw to Rolex is just ingrained from an early age. Growing up, I always put Rolex on a pedestal for some reason before I realized most are a dime a dozen and they give them away like prizes out of a cereal box. I love APs and RMs, and yes they are expensive, and for the price, they do not draw attention, but it's the ones I enjoy, so I'll keep wearing them.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Patek “used” to be boring and bland. I love their newer models, especially their 42mm versions. I have a 5905, 5524, 5522 and a 5968 arriving early next year.

With their bigger size, the watches are much more exciting to me.

I sold all my APs. Had a bunch. I miss my Bumblebee. That was a solid daily wear watch. Indestrucable with the ceramic bezel.

RM I never really got into but they are nice as well.

Bottom line is wear what you love and what moves you. To that, drive what you love and what moves you.

JohnTz likes this.
  9. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    It may have something to do with the fact that Rolex was estimated to spend more than any other manufacturer in advertising. There is a reason why you see Rolex clock in airports. You seeing Rolex everywhere may easily translate into what you experienced growing up.

SoCal to az likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I don't even wear a watch . I buy my jeans and tops at Costco.

stavura, Viperjoe, dustman and 3 others like this.
  11. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I've sometimes thought about coming up with a reason to buy a nice watch, but couldn't stand having the thing on my arm. There's no point in wearing a watch when you carry your phone everywhere. I don't get the appeal.

Viperjoe, Coincid, nmcclure and 2 others like this.
  12. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #137 IPO1, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    JGrey, Viperjoe and Automoblog like this.
  13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Some may say the same of a Ferrari...what’s the appeal?

Sent from my 16M

Viperjoe, SoCal to az and Shamile like this.
  14. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I'm starting to wonder myself.

Viperjoe, Mbutner and SoCal to az like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You don’t wear a nice watch to tell time. That’s what your iPhone is for. :)

16. And no one drives a Ferrari to get from point A to B. Well, unless you’re me. :D

Viperjoe and SoCal to az like this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No one needs nice cars or watches. They are all discretionary spending items. We want them, we don’t need them.

Caphill and Viperjoe like this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LOL, with the current design miscues I tend to agree.

19. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I think Porsche is a lot worse than Ferrari. At least Ferrari dealerships generally operate on the same code of conduct. Porsche dealerships are just ungoverned and can do anything without repercussion. A Ferrari dealership will tell you to buy another car before they can give an allocation. A Porsche dealership will give you an allocation, then 30 days before delivery tell you to cough up an extra $30K or your car is going to someone else.

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Seriously?
    I would tell them to F off for life if they tried that BS.

21. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    They wouldn't care.

22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    You could say what's the point of a "do up" bow tie for your tuxedo or cuff links for your French cuffs when buttons will do.

I see a watch and those items as some of the last few details that make men...men.

...and if it's good enough for James Bond ( Daniel Craig) ....it's good enough for me. ;) lol

Ok, back to complaining about why we can purchase $450k cars when we want to.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It happens a lot with those clowns.

Shamile likes this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A watch is simply a piece of jewelery, whose primary function was to historically reveal an individual's social status in society. Women, men to a lesser extent, cherish gold and diamonds as they too represent wealth and prestige. But men, unlike females, seem more predisposed by the allure of watches. A watch was originally invented as a means by which humans can conveniently keep personal track of time. The evolution to expensive wrist timepieces was for the purpose of developing more accurate means of keeping time. However, over the last century, it is common knowledge that a few hundred dollar quartz watch or a significantly cheaper digial device, will be much more accurate than mechanical watches costing tens of thousands. Therefore, why would anyone spend thousands on a product whose singular purpose is inferior to devices at a fraction of those price. The answer clearly is that those extravangtly priced watches are not purchased merely to keep time but rather to reveal to others a pereceived level of prestige, wealth, and success.

Comparisions are often made between expensive watches and exotic cars. For some, there is no distinction. Both serve the purpose of revealing the owners' wealth etc. For others, such as myself, there is no comparison. A super car is not only a thing of art and beauty, its function is not onlys a means of transport from point A to point B. The function of such a car , is the manner in which it takes its occupants on that journey and the excitement, thrills and exhilaration derived therefrom. The joy and the challenges of commandeering a cutting edge vehicle is multi faceted . Whether driving on a track, a twisting country road or an inter state highway, a super car provides a plethora of emotional sensations. From an adrenaline rush to the sheer pleasure of watching the scenery speed by, the car truly has the ability to enhance the enjoyment of life. The eager anticipation of the next drive in one's special car creates an almost childlike excitement. Never heard of any watch in existence that can come close to accomplishing even a tiny portion of any of that.

italiafan and PJxxx like this.
  25. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Men look silly wearing jewelry.

Riki and Viperjoe like this.