348 exhaust | FerrariChat

348 exhaust

Discussion in '348/355' started by F512M, Mar 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    Anyone bypass the first stage muffler on their 348? Short of throwing down $3k-$5k for new Tubi, X-OST, etc.. Trying to find ways to wake the neighbors on Saturday mornings... :) I know the spider only has a single stage muffler so I would suspect that it can be done. Just curious...

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I once removed both mufflers from my 12/91 348TB. :) Sounded LOUD and NUTS! :D:D I was only going to remove the bottom muffler or vice versa, but was not loud enough. Was louder and sounded better, but not what I thought. I took them both off and made some 'dummy' tips and it sounded great. :D:D Had a rather "gay" turbo car idle, but anything over 5000RPM sounded EXACTLY like Schumachers F1 car. :eek::eek::eek:
    Check it out............;);)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99806&page=3

3. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    Awesome PAP!!!! Now that sounds like a Ferrari!!!

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Trust me! It was AWESOME!! I should have kept it as is. :p:p:p
    At full noise, it would deafen anyone in a 2km radius. :p:p:p

5. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    Around here a 2km radius equals about 30,000 people. I live in the city and the local police wouldn't take to kindly to the excess noise. So I will have to be a little more quite that you do.. :)

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Do it.............if you dare. :p:p:p

7. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    My mate took the exhaust off his alfa gtv the other day. Man it sounded nuts!:)

If you can, make sure you can get the exhaust as loud as is legally possible!!

8. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I removed the bottom muff and had the local muffler shop fab some exhaust tips for me. Better sound, but the real bonus was the removal of 35lbs from the back of the car. More neutral handling, faster!

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I heard it and it sounds killer :) !!!

10. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    That's probably the initial route that I will take. I can't go straight pipes as it would be way too loud to get away with. Loosing a little weight is never a bad thing. :)

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yup. I enjoyed seeing and *hearing* your car last year. Time for me to go back out your way now that I think about it.

...and honestly, it wasn't "too loud" for city driving. Sounded good, not oppressive.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    has anyone ever tried "gutting" the single can muffler on the spyder?

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Dont think its possible unless you cut it open, then "gut it", then re-weld the muffler back up. Not worth it IMO. :):)

14. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I was poking around the engine bay and took a peek under the heat shield. I see only one muffler there - the vertical one. I have a 91 ts

The cats are connected directly to this muffler. I think the PO must have switched it over to a Spider exhaust or perhaps merely removed the horizontal muffler. I think my car sounds a bit louder than a fully stock 348. :)

15. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

If anybody is interested ive got a factory 348 spider single can Exhaust for sale. I picked up a Tubi

F512M, Dont bother trying to modify the duel can exhaust, I did it just to see if it was worth it, Its not. The weight reduction helped but it made almost no difference in sound quality. It still sounded like a sewing machine.

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Totally disagree. IMO its the tubis that are overpriced are you kidding me you paid what for that? On the two can exhaust it is easy to do the Plugzit modification and it totally sounds better than before. What blows the tubi out of the water is taking the two can exhaust and cutting off the tips and two hole connectors. Then I have a jig to make the 348 challenge tube exhaust. Run that with cats and you are just barely streetable. If cops stop you have them shine a flash light in there and they can read Ferrari right on the exhaust two hole connectors. I guess that's the way these Ferraris came stock eh? I run the open challenge style tube exhaust with no cats and it is loud for racing only. And it looks totally Ferrari challenge because the 348C and the lower two can exhaust use the same tips

17. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    anyone have opinions on Stebro exhaust? I did a search but not much came up?

18. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

I completly agree, Tubi's are way over priced, i picked up a used one or i never would have spent the cash, i got mine used for 1300. Ill tell you right now. Billybob knows more about 348's then i will ever know but i cut off the bottom can of the 2 can then fabed a couple pipes out the back and it made almost no difference in sound

19. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    F512M originally asked about bypassing the first muffler, rather than the second. Has anyone tried that?

20. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    I just purchased a spider exhaust at a resonable price. From what I have read the spider and challenge exhaust are the same if not similar. This should give a much better sound while keeping me street legal, not to mention loosing a few pounds. :) Should have it next week sometime.

21. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Old thread - quick question.

For a 348, will the challenge exhaust fit a TS?

What sounds better - challenge exhaust or capristo?

Okay, two questions ;)

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You mean item #5? If so then yes. But you'll need item #4.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There's only one answer to every question regarding "which sounds better?" "It depends".

Oh, and there are hundreds of threads that support this answer. ;)

24. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    The previous owner of my 348 removed one of the mufflers. Not sure what it sounded like with two but I’m happy with the sound. No desire right now to upgrade( except when I ride in a friends Jag F-Type S V-8 that thing sounds crazy good).

Vince FerrariChat.com mobile app