oil test | FerrariChat

oil test

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ttforcefed, Oct 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i found this interesting. I stopped using Amsoil years ago just because its more of a pia to get.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What does oil at -40 have to do with anything?

JCR likes this.
  3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Interesting,but irrelevant. Of no value in caring for your car.

JCR likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    How is this irrelevant? It shows how the oil behaves at extreme temps. There have def been a few cold starts in the northeast that are way below zero with the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The best synthetics (like Redline) offer many proven benefits,one of which is clinging to the friction surfaces for cold and cold-weather starts. But kitchen-table and dorm-room experiments are not a good way to evaluate oils.

JCR likes this.
  6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Starting any car at-40 without a block heater is insanity.

7. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Makes sense to me!
    I have always used Mobil 1 and now have more confidence in my daily driver getting lubrication up to the top engine parts quickly this Winter.

Thanks for sharing

8. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    At the very least, and if this type of demonstration could prove anything relevant to a real application, that the bottle and neck sizes vary among the samples makes any comparison from this video pointless.

9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Some years ago National Geographic did a story on Siberia. It is so cold for much of the year that oils (and fuels) solidify,and so engines have to be kept running 24/7.

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    While the test temps used in the video means nothing to most of us, in my opinion use of Walmart or any other bargain bin oil is ill advised at any temperature. Quality of the oil, and ossicle grade or plain lack of needed additives is not a gamble I’m willing to take on any of my vehicles.

That being said I personally use the manufactures oil or mobile 1 in all my vehicles as mobile 1 was reccomended by my local dealer as a good second to the manufactures oil. Sure it costs a few bucks more per oil change but it’s never cost me an engine failure or a major service issue.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The Germans found out about the cold when they invaded the Soviet Union in WWII. Couldn't chamber some shells in there weapons!