488 Replacement | Page 28 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think next year we won't see the V6T on the 488: rumors say it will be on the 488 replacement, not on a 488 restilying.
    Rumors says the 488 replacement will be in 2021-2022: I have no idea of what Ferrari will introduce next year. Maybe it will be a sort of Mc Laren Senna, with a V8

Ciao

2. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I’m not sure there is such a thing as a “488 restyling”. Ferrari is behind in performance compared to McLaren 720S and the 488 is due for replacement end 2019 if you look back at their past replacement cycle.

488 was a “restyling” of the 458 as they share the same base platform. It will certainly not be used again. The new platform which underpins the Portofino will be the base for the 488 replacement which is likely Frankfurt 2019 if. Or before. By then Pista will have had 18 mo th build which is common to the end of run specials like Speciale and Scuderia.

However, there does seem to be credible evidence of a new model sitting above the current 488.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds and Thelovelyrock18 like this.
  3. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    I think we need to separate facts from rumors.
    1-There will be a new mid-engined model above the 488 (fact). It will be a hybrid v8 tt (rumors but very likely)
    2-There will be a 488 replacement ( fact). It will be a turbo v6 (rumors) maybe 4wd (other rumors)
    3-Before the replacement, the 488 will spawn a facelifted version (rumors, but it's a fact that in Ferrari there's a project coded F142M-FL, whatever it means)

Inviato dal mio BAH-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

theplanner likes this.
  4. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I wasn’t aware of that - would be quite unprecedented but certainly interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Can someone confirm ( or not ) a hybrid V8 TT for the new mid engine car above the 488 replacement ?

6. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No one can confirm anything.

7. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Isnt the Pista supposed to be the facelifted version of 488?

8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    So some things to ponder:
    1/ Will the new car above the 488 replacement come out before the 488 replacement? And will this new model use the new platform which will then be used by the 488 replacement?

2/ The camo'd car looks to have a very low cowl area and a generally very low beltline - not sure it is 488-based (?)

3/ Has this patented design been circulated before - I don't recall seeing it. Certain aspects look like the camo'd car, while the side glass rising into the roof do not look similar:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    those wheels are recycled for monza

F2003-GA, fil, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    This car seems to have two side air intakes. One just behind the 3/4 window with a subtle shape. Then along the door there is a much larger aggressive side vent.

The front bonnet seems to have two vents similar to the Pista.

The new car promised to be a very race inspired design. Think it will be a nice design!

pappo likes this.
  12. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    By the way, though I feel a third F142 is not so likely, they do have previous of this immediately before a significant product change - the Testarossa, 512TR and F512M - before moving from 180 degree V12, mid engined to a proper V12 with engine in the front. The last car was not the prettiest at the time (I quite like it now) but became the most valuable due to short production run...

13. mofatmi9

mofatmi9 Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed Fatmi
    Nicola D'Aniello who posted the pics on Instagram as well, stated that the spy phots from the track are of the 488M, a modified version the current car. For some reason it just doesn't make sense, since the platform is already a decade old, why modify it when you should move to an all-new one? Doesn't add up, and will be quite disappointing if that really is the case.

14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    No it's not a 488modificata
    Look more precisely ( headlights, front bumper etc ..) and you will see a completely different car .

mofatmi9 and Doug23 like this.
  15. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    Yes. It has been confirmed at the Capital Markets Day

16. mofatmi9

mofatmi9 Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed Fatmi
    I hope it's not a 488M. That'll be one of the dumbest things that Ferrari would've done.

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #692 ingegnere, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Agree. An "M" would be based on the existing platform and this looks very different from the 488 especially the A-pillar and windshield. I would guess its the new platform even though the rear quarter seems to borrow from the J50.

Another interesting observation is that the roof is covered and very loosely so - wonder what's under there (?).

Also, a distinct Ford GT-like buttress protrusion on the rear quarter or, like on the 812 camo'd cars, just a pad up under the camo to hide the quarter scoops?

18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks. So what is that? It has some aspects of the some of the rejected F150 (LaF) concepts, but never saw this, I think. Also, why did they patent the shape?

crinoid likes this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I believe there is nothing under this rounded roof ,
    Exactly the same camouflage if you remember the very last 458 mule in 2009 .

20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Just a simply question guys , are you really exited by an Hybrid V6 TT wathever the HP ???

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    maybe they will introduce a V8TT hybrid 4WD next spring. But it's not a 488 replacement: it's a sort of LaF with a V-8 TT (Pista engine) and an Hybrid 4WD system with one electric engine module on the rear axle and one for each front wheel. That is what prototype pictures are showing. Combined power is around 900 hp

They won't replace next year a car that is going into production on these days (Pista coupè) or even next year (Pista Spider)

ciao

22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It has already been revealed that the V8 hybrid will be faster than LaFerrari. The V6 488 replacement will be in the same class but with incremental performance gains.

I can't believe we see the V8 hybrid in just a few months! :)

pappo and Frenzisko like this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Sources ?
    I didn't see this in the Ferrari five years plan

24. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Ferr9000...you're famous now.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/ferrari-488s-bigger-mid-engine-hybrid-brother-caught-track-first-time/

madjid likes this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, there are sources. Linked to earlier in this thread.