SPORT and AUTO mode: Nearly lost car | FerrariChat

SPORT and AUTO mode: Nearly lost car

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Elsi, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I converted from the 12 cylinder to the 8 cylinder gang and sold my 575M HGTC to buy a 458 Spider (well, I still have my 512 TR so now I own a 8 and 12 cylinder Ferrari). For those that are interested how I bought my 458 and how it drives compared to a 575M HGTC see here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/i-sold-my-575m-hgtc.586961/

Now to my question: Yesterday we did a nice trip. My wife was driving in SPORT and AUTO mode of the gearbox. It was a bit foggy and when coming out of a corner parts of the road were very slippery and other fellows with 348 and 360 also had problems to keep their car on the road. So we came out of the corner and the wife accelerated very gently and soft but enough for the gearbox to kick down one or two gears. This resulted in oversteering of the car which my wife addressed with counter steering but as in most of the cases the car turned to the other side and we ended up in the curbs with two damaged tires and one damaged rim. Fortunately nothing more happened to us or others. I am quite sure that nothing had happened if the car did not downshift by itself since she was pressing the accelerator pedal really gentle.

Two weeks ago I had a similar situation. I also was in SPORT mode and the gearbox was in AUTO mode when I wanted to overtake another car. The gearbox went down for 3 gears and less than a second later I had to handle a loose rear. No problems to manage that but I was surprised that the care became loose when downshifting even when in SPORT mode (I would have understood when this would have happened in RACE mode or with CST off).

Did others have similar issues in SPORT mode? Did others have similar experience when driving in AUTO mode and the gearbox shifts down and shortly after you have to stabilize the rear of the car?

I was thinking that driving in SPORT mode should be quite safe.

Thanks for any hints

Markus

PS: I am quite used to drive RWD cars since my F-cars and my Maserati are my daily drivers and I did about 100 000 km in my F-cars and 150 000 km in Maseratis. And I know that I need to watch out in my Maser 3200 and my 512 TR but maybe my expectations regarding a modern car such as a 458 were wrong.

jem890 likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The rule of thumb is to never drive in AUTO...

sfcorsa1, daflk, Rbwiii and 3 others like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this has happened to me in my FF and 458...logically it makes sense if you think about how the computer takes its commands. When in AUTO if you dont want to accelerate you have to be sure either to be on the brake or a constant pressure on the gas. you cant put any pressure on the gas pedal

Elsi and Chadwick Ferrari like this.
  4. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    I’ve never experienced that. I drive in auto only for a few minutes when cold until the oil temperature gets to about 160. I am then fairly conservative until the tires get up to temperature as well.

I have an F80 M3 with a DCT and I would trust it in auto under any conditions. The 458 I would not. The 458 DCT seems confused in its gear selection unless it’s an extremely slow or fast transition between gears. So, it wouldn’t surprise me if you were being gentle and then suddenly wanted to overtake another car.

In short, in all but the most casual drives I would take control of the car and take it off auto.

John Custer and Elsi like this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It is also the rule of fun. I drive in RACE and manual and the RPM is above 3500 most of the time. Never had such a little surprise.

jem890, SECRET, F12JAJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks for all the replys. That really helps!

We are still trying to understand why this happened and how to avoid it.

Looks like it was a bad idea to drive in auto mode...

Markus

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SECRET likes this.
  7. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks.

I understand that the car shifted down but not why we lost the rear when driving in sport mode. If we were in race I expected to lose the rear.

Markus

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RobD likes this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Hi hp and tq, racing tires, moist road, very easy to see under kick down.

Speciale did this everywhere under same conditions.

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Auto mode would have to be holding a very high gear at your speed if as you began to accelerate the DCT then auto shifted down multiple gears. A bit surprising.

However engine likely is doing rev-matching to enhance the downshifts so it does have a potential to break the tires loose on a slippery surface. Add in cold tires and a cold surface with performance tires and you can face a quickly declining situation.

I used to see something like that in manual mode on right turns that were just slow enough to downshift from 3 to 2 and on a slippery surface the rev-match would break the back loose. I learned to predict the behavior and pre-downshift before the turn. My V12 FF is worse than the V8 458.

I seem to recall one of the software updates seemed to help this somewhat. But it is still there perhaps in reduced form and I still pre-downshift.

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Wait just a minute, our cars have an “auto” mode ? Go figure.

11. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Why not. Sometimes if you drive in traffic or talk on the phone, it helps massively.

By the way - Elsi, what a combo! 512TR and a 458 is the best combo, exactly what I want to do :)
    Last year I wanted to buy a 512TR in Holland, right after I sold my manual 3200GT. I passed and now I consider this as a mistake, as the price was very good. The 512TR is my childhood dream and I definately will buy one in the near future.

I always drive my cars on CST OFF, but the 458 is so easily manageable, that you can make it out of every slide even if you don't have any skills.

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If I’m on the phone it’s definitely not in my hand. I only use the hands free in all of my cars. Too many stupid drivers where I live not to keep both hands on the wheel. Best , Kirk.

13. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    rumen1 – looks like we have some similarities. We both own a 458 and a 3200! The 512 TR is a really great car which I love to drive. Shortly after I bought the 458 I took my 20 y/o son for a drive. His comment was “nice car, but I like the 512 TR better!”

Markus

rumen1 likes this.
  14. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Yes and also - I bought my 458 from Zurich, where I see you live :))) I also saw your profile page and saw you want a Scud. This is exactly what I owned before the 458 and let me tell you - you are getting the direction right ;)

Kirk - nobody is saying you should talk on the phone when you drive fast. But yes - when I'm in traffic and drive slow in the city, I sometimes talk on my phone and I don't consider this as something dangerous. Anyway, it's getting too offtopic :)

jem890 and Cigarzman like this.
  15. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I don't see this as a flaw at all. I love the looser traction control. My AMG GTs would light up the traction control lights long before the tires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Never experience something like this. If I drive in CST off which I do most of the time then you can still drift and the systems will help you to sort out if anything goes totally wrong = you wont be able to spin around (I'm always in manual)

Now with sport mode are you even able to make the slightest drift? Are the different modes (Race, sport, CST off etc) behaving differently when in manual compared to auto?

17. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    That’s what surprized me (and my wife). I was thinking too that you are safe in sport mode. But the street was very slippery (it felt like ice) and that the gearbox kicked one or two gears down did not help either.

Markus

18. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Check your tires, maybe it’s too bold.
    Because too much traction and stability control in 458, even in cst off, only straight provocation help to drift little bit.

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Sorry for the scare and the damage, but fortunately it is only damage to the car. I think for those conditions you would want to be in Wet mode. Even Wet mode allows for a bit of wheel slip. Sport mode allows for a surprising amount of slip before the systems intervene. I agree its also a good idea to check the tires, they might look OK but how old are they?

Solid State likes this.
  20. I agree with this.

I don't think what happened to the OP was a result of the traction control or the DCT gearbox in the car; but rather a combination of road and tire conditions.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Tires are 5 y/o Michelin PSS and I was aware of that. I complained at the (official Ferrari) dealer that he should have mounted newer tires when he delivered the car to me. But he insisted and said that Ferrari says they are OK if they are not older than 8 y/o. BS! I had planned to change them next spring anyway… Now it is a bit earlier…

Road conditions were bad for sure and the other F-cars that were on our tour also had some problems at the very same part of the road. But the gearbox shifting down when exiting the corner did not help for sure. I am quite convinced that nothing had happened if we were in manual mode and did not downshift.

Thanks for all the replies and hints!

Markus

jem890 likes this.
  22. But I think that's what the gearbox is programmed to do -- to keep the car in the gear that optimizes the performance of the car. Had the DCT not downshifted when exiting the corner, the car would have been in a higher gear than it should have been and you would have been lugging the engine.

In the end, no one was hurt and no permanent damage to the car.

23. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I’ll point out it isn’t the downshift that is a problem but the rev-matching.

It looks like the rev-matching temporarily overrides the traction control which means you are on your own, kid!

Personally I think that is a bug, not a feature. Others will disagree.

I actively work around the problem by pre-shifting ahead of the turn...YSMV

SV

jem890 likes this.
  24. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    The DCT gearbox is jerky on auto when you throttle down, despite being wet the computer prioritizes torque increase vs traction, even though the computer knows putting down so much torque may spin the wheels.

Therefore even if your right foot is progressive it the gearbox shifting will upset balance of car with sudden jerk and you will lose traction in the wet, mannetino setting notwithstanding.

Echoing what others say, don’t drive in auto and you will naturally ease off throttle when overtaking and manage the torque yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jem890 likes this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Omg the tires.