Overheating issue | FerrariChat

Overheating issue

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bluebottle, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    The engine temperature in my 550 went through the roof this afternoon and when I stopped to investigate, steam was coming from the top of the engine. Any suggestions?

2. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'd be suspicious of the long bypass hose that runs front to back directly underneath the intake. That baby lives a hard life and they're known to let go. Easiest way to diagnose this is to get a cooling system pressure tester, pump the system up to 14psi or so and see if you find the source of the leak. Could also be one of several other hoses but the one under the intake is the usual prime suspect. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

See #45 in the diagram to see which one I'm referring to..

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-seat/550-maranello/water-pump.html

BOKE likes this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    That certainly seems to fit the symptoms, thankyou. I shan't be able to deal with it immediately, but will report back in due course. Thanks for your help, Aaron.

4. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    No worries John, cheers and let us know!

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Both Mark and Harvey at Carrs concur with your diagnosis: they are picking my car up tomorrow. Assuming that proves to be the problem, I am intending to replace all of the hoses while I am about it.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Make sure you use 575M silicone hoses for the three that have been upgraded. Or get a full set from SRI.