Stolen 1979 308GTS | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Stolen 1979 308GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by ragtop1, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jakey

Jakey Karting

Feb 2, 2016
    S.F. Bay area
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Great news, Larry.
    Are you not afraid of parking in the same complex, even with increased security?

2. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Good to see you got your car back Larry. I am sure you feel violated by all this.
    I always think that no one would steal my car but there are a lot of ???? out there. Glad I keep my cars close by. Good luck with all the extra work these guys made for you.
    Also if possible post any info on them.

ragtop1 likes this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just love happy endings:)

ragtop1 likes this.
  4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Congrats on the fabulous news!

ragtop1 likes this.
  5. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Yes, I’m a little bit leary to leave it at the same location. Currently the garage door is welded shut with the car inside and an extra dead bolt on the man door. More lights an cameras coming next week.

6. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Cool Larry ! such great news : - )

ragtop1 likes this.
  7. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    That's great news! What a pain. I'm glad it ended up well for you. You are very lucky.

ragtop1 likes this.
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This is great news.

For you and for me now that I don't have to scrutinize every carbed 308 I see for the rest of my life !

9. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Great to hear you got it back!!!!

ragtop1 likes this.
  10. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    lmao :D

11. KSar

KSar Rookie

Oct 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    KM
    Hi Larry, I was shocked to hear about your stolen car on the radio noon news in Sarnia and immediately contacted the local police to find out more and let them know that I had potentially seen something in our area, as I had admired a similar car earlier in a parking lot in town. I called CrimeStoppers but they wouldn't talk to me because I wanted to leave my personal information to follow up and ensure I had witnessed things correctly. I personally had to research the actual area it came from and called the OPP and Chatham Police twice. I left messages more than once for them to call me back (apparently they don't answer their phones with a human being or at least not during lunch) and specifically requested the investigating officer so I could verify if I actually had the right car based on some uniqueness that I had spotted in passing and not bother if it was some other innocent citizen with an awesome car. I think that someone should have at least bothered to contact me even if they were on vacation or not which is hard to believe because it was within the same 24 hour period. Since I never got any calls back whatsoever, I ended up calling CrimeStoppers back to leave as much information as I could along with the idea to contact the BlueWater Bridge Authorities here in Sarnia, as Windsor would have been the more obvious crossing since it is closer to you. I tried to locate more follow up information in hopes that it turned up but found it frustratingly difficult to do so until today when I came across this forum (I did celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving away so was a bit out of the loop for a few weeks too). Oddly enough I am within a few short miles from where I thought I had seen it and even closer to that school where it was found which is very eerie (no I was not involved but just a freek admirer of beautiful machines that saw something oddly interesting one day). I am sad that your pride and joy was taken and that you went through such an awful ordeal but I am now delighted to find out that your baby is back home with you where it belongs. Hopefully it wasn't too messed up and you got all your extra stuff back (believe me it could have been far worse especially around here). I am also impressed with this forum! The support and comradery, as well as widespread international reach. Keep it up and best of luck...I hope people would look out for me like that (although I only hope to have a car like yours)! Ps it's not about the insurance, it's about securing what's yours properly if you want to keep it although these jerks got by it...maybe get some cameras on it too. Also let us know if they caught the goons and how much time they get...I'm sure it would never be long enough and they might even do it again. Sorry for the long message but I thought you should know. Take good care! K-Sar

308 milano and ferrariowner like this.
  12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I installed a “kill switch” on my 308. Cuts off power to fuel pump and coils, cranks but will not fire up. I also use a gear shift lock plate.

Jakuzzi and ragtop1 like this.
  13. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Thank you for your concern and diligence. It's unfortunate the law took your calls casually. That's quite the first post Ksar. Welcome to FerrariChat. Cheers

308 milano likes this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OMG.... this might make thread of the year! So happy for you and your car!

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I did this in my Dino. One time my key broke in the lock. I hot wired it MYSELF in the dark in about 2 minutes of fumbling around (in a Dino the wires hang out the back of the switch in the dash completely exposed).

My switch was on the seat rails where only I could find it. It cut the fuel pump and ignition but the starter still worked. I felt people would try it and give up then leave after making the noise.

You can break into a Dino in about 2 seconds. Just push in the fly window and pull out the inside door handle. In those days I guess they didn't worry about that stuff as much as today

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I have thought about a fuel pump kill switch. A good idea.

I can also recommend the Hill Engineering shifter gate lock, which is robustly constructed (although thieves can still steal the car driving in reverse).

17. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    My car was shipped to Ferrari of Ontario a week ago under the suggestion of RM classic cars. They are too busy prepping for an upcoming auction. FoO picked it up from RM a week ago. As of last Friday they didn’t find any mechanical issues or damage caused by anabusive thief. I reported that it was running rough and they found a loose spark plug wire on #2 cylinder. I’m not sure how that happened, but I’m glad it was an easy fix. Thieves were under the hood and broke the prop mechanism where it attaches to the bonnet. I had it replaced a few years back from Unobtainium. The plastic part will break off if you open the hood too far. I ordered the metal component from Superformance. It came in 4 days and you cannot tell it apart from the original plastic part. I believe that the thieves were looking for a tracking device as signs indicate that they were under the dash, into the fuse area as the cover was left on the floor. They even removed the vinyl boot cover for the aerial. They left the battery cover unattached. The only cosmetic issue is a small scrape inder my front spoiler that is now being addressed.
    The mechanic did however make a few suggestions for some items that need to be corrected. I’m waiting for an estimate.
    All in all, I think I weathered that incident fairly well

Rosey, Saabguy, thorn and 2 others like this.
  18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    This puts shivers up my spine that thieves would go that meticulously over a car to look for tracking devices. Shudder.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They are doing their job.

Sometimes it’s better to have a pro steal your car than an amateur. Less damage from stupidity. Joy riders are the worst. They trash them.

20. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Man, that's good news!