FORMULA 1 2018 PIRELLI UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX: RACE ***SPOILERS*** | Page 19 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 2018 PIRELLI UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX: RACE ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've seen this before. They just look like ridges (If you are talking about the parallel lines on the surface of the inner rim). If they are slots, what keeps the air in the tires?

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I edited my post. Re-look for clarification....fyi.

3. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ah! So those holes create airflow! Now I get it, thanks. :)

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Possibly the tires just did not last under those particular conditions. In another place maybe they are ok. There is still alot of 'art' in the 'science' of F1 :)

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But why does that make the strategy wrong?

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I believe Joe is talking about each spoke. You look at the wheel hub, and the spokes radiate outward. However, there is a little hole at the base of each spoke. I believe that is what got filled with silicone.

Similar to this Enkei wheel where you see the holes at the base of the spokes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  7. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, Joe cleared this up for me above. I finally got it through my thick skull. :)

8. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Hey!
    I know that girl....
    The 3rd from left.
    Its Tania
    she is a doll
    ....but she has this thing I don't like...
    She gets cold around 3 AM and pulls the sheets away from me.....every time....

(wish it was true....lol)

daytona355 likes this.
  9. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
  10. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Vettel, repeat after me: "Pass max on the STRAIGHTS not the corners, pass Max on the STRAIGHTS not the corners, pass Max on the STRAIGHTS not the corners!"

Need4Spd, Jakuzzi and 375+ like this.
  11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lewis's pole lap. Note what happens at 37sec into the lap. The top 4 times were super tight during quali. I wonder how much of an advantage was gained by exceeding track limits?? Yet, Charlie nor the stewards even bothered to investigate it. I brought it up in the quali thread.....even I saw it!!!

and even if they did investigate it, we would get the usual "no further action." So really, I'm venting for nothing but thought I would just put that out there.

Lewis Hamilton's Pole Lap | 2018 United States Grand Prix

daytona355, Jakuzzi and stavura like this.
  12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Maybe it's because, all or a lot of the drivers went wide, on that particular corner.

Great footage though :)

13. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Outstanding. I don't know a single person (possibly outside the Mercedes garage) who is anything but elated to see Kimi win this one.

I realize that to many here Lewis could win from the back row in a Williams and we still here a list of how he cheated, got team orders, disobeyed track limits, had a druid curse Seb whatever. But does anyone really doubt that if Lewis had been Seb's team mate this year in identical Ferrari's, that he would not have won the WDC. I don't recall (memory is not infallible) any actual true mistakes from Lewis this year. Canada, a track he normally excels at he was mysteriously off that pace all weekend, but he still brought it home to fourth and a handy 10 points rather than throwing himself at the scenery. I agree at times he's hard to like off track, but his on track performance has been exemplary. When he or the car weren't the fastest cobo out there he still brought strong points home. He avoided collisions with other people and simply did the better job all year. He 'poor' results this year have been a 4th and a 5th. He's only non finish was Austria where both Merc's had fuel pressure issues. He's just been the better driver all year. Do we want to re-hash the long list of self inflicted errors Seb has had going back to Azerbaijan?

Ryan... and ktu like this.
  14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yeah, maybe your right. Charlie, the FIA, and the marshalls are great at putting kerbs/bananas, sensors and anything else to keep these guys in check but I remember one year in this hybrid era they were all over the drivers for having 4 wheels beyond the white line....then it just "sorta" took a backseat. :oops:

daytona355 and kraftwerk like this.
  15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It was actually a press person who said it. Max and Kimi had that "uh oh" look on their faces when he asked it

Isobel likes this.
  16. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    This makes sense because it sure didn't sound like Kimi's voice.

17. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I've just realized that Kimi is 'only' 55 points behind Seb compared to Seb's 70 point deficit to Lewis. I wonder if Kimi hadn't been sacrificed to the alter of Seb's points haul several times earlier in the season how much closer, or even ahead he may have been in the rankings. With 75 points still in the offing Kimi would have to outscore Seb by just over 18 points per race to beat Seb. It's not going to happen, but I think it shows how poor Seb's full season performance has been in comparison to someone, who while deeply loved from all sides, is in truth past his prime.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    :D:D

19. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

spot on. they should have backed kimi all along. instead they chose to back alonso, vettel, even massa. Ferrari deserves to lose.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Massa was on track to beat Kimi 2 out of 3 years before his accident. Kimi was fired for not doing well by Ferrari. The numbers were clear on that. Kimi as interesting as he might be, has been lackluster overall. As he stated yesterday this win wont change anything. He has been a driver who let too many opportunities pass by with poor inconsistent performance.

He did not at all drive to win multiple titles just one. His legacy is personality not on track performance. His numbers just are not that great. His real level of performance is equal to Massa. FA crushed them both in equal machinery and Massa was on track to beat him 2 out of 3 years they were together. Kimi is not great at all. His aura wont overcome the math.

21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Maybe I overestimate Kimi, but if I do, I think you underestimate him. Fastest lap in F1 history, a record that was over ten years old, and an F1 champ is no slouch.

Plus, even Kimi says he doesn't take chances like others do, preferring to be solid and steady. Even as Vettel's second, he has several podiums and a win this season and is third.

Hope he crushes it next year. I'll cheer him on as long as he's in F1.

Jakuzzi, NEP, Ryan... and 1 other person like this.
  22. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    WilyB, 375+ and G. Pepper like this.
  23. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Watched the race from turn 1. What an incredible race! Total blast all weekend! I even got to meet and shake hands with Eddie Jordan! During the drivers parade Seb, Lewis and Ricciardo all gave on track interviews. Ricciardo was asked to give his best "American" impersonation. He did the rest of the interview in his best "Southern Drawl". It was hilarious! So bummed to see him have to retire the car.

The whole weekend it was interesting to actually see and hear the difference in how much speed Kimi carried into turn 1 vs every other driver...it was very noticeable. So committed! Kimi also had a different way of getting on the power exiting the turn. Extremely smooth as he exited and a tiny bit earlier than most of the other drivers. Seb, Max and Lewis were all much more aggressive in how they got on the power as well as a little later through the corner. Nothing for or against any of the drivers. It was cool just to to hear and see the differences. I have to say that the engine note from the Ferrari's were the most pleasing to the ear...almost melodic. Sounded awesome! A close second was Sauber. Mercedes and Haas had a great sound as well but not as good as the Ferrari's or Sauber's. Every other manufacturer all sounded the same. Just a very loud race engine...still super cool though! :)

Too bad Seb let his emotions get in the way and ruin his and Ferrari's race......again! It was cool though to watch him fight back through the field and make the late pass on Bottas. Thank goodness Ferrari have Kimi to rely on. So happy for him and Ferrari. When Kimi passed Lewis on the inside at the start the whole place erupted! It was amazing to hear the crowd's response to Kimi winning. He is by far the favorite. The boos for Lewis were funny. I'm sure they do nothing to Lewis though and just motivate him more. So many thought for sure Max would take out Hamilton as he's done to other drivers so many times but Hamilton has exceptional race craft and was able to avoid the collision. The Ferrari fan in me did wish he would have lost a few more places though ;-) IMO, most of the episodes of "great racing" by Max have actually been from the brilliant driving from the other drivers avoiding collisions with Max. However, Max always makes it exciting and is great for the show as he sure did on Sunday. Everyone was going crazy during Max and Lewis's battle.

What a race! What a result! Forza!!

635CSI, NEP, fil and 5 others like this.
  24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice one great insight thanks :)

25. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I was also in Turn 1 (it was so nice to get out from cover of MG for the rainy FP1 and FP2). That start will be forever burned in my brain. Kimi's charge to top of the hill was inspired. And his subsequent pulling away from #44 into the S's was...simply beautiful.

It was my youngest's first F1 race. She couldn't make FP1 and FP2 with me, but we watched FP3 and Qualifying from MG and left believing Sunday might be something special. It was. I told her it may be awhile before she witnesses another race like this in person.

NEP, TurboFreak650 and F2003-GA like this.