Major Service Limit | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Major Service Limit

Discussion in '348/355' started by RandyT, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    And mine, 7, 4, 7. First 2 by a Ferrari dealer just prior to resale. 2rd by and indy prior to my purchase.

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Nice numbers.
    Tims numbers are ok too
    Gotta love it

3. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    I’m at 6.5 years and plan on doing the major in January. I bought the car in August and have full records, but I don’t think hill engineering parts were used, so I’d rather do it right. Plus I’m replacing the full exhaust system.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I believe in 5, and I am sticking to 5.

5. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    My 95 spider was as follows:
    First was at 2.5yrs, then 5 yrs, again at 7 yrs and finally at 6 yrs. I am with most of the people on this site, 5-7 yrs is probably a safe bet.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would do the same as Mitchell except as I get older and gravity on the planet increases the prancing horse on my butt seems to take longer and longer to return to normal after 2 hours sitting on the plennums to undo parts.

Those of us that have gone down that road can relate I am sure.

7. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    What other parts do you guys recommend replacing while doing the major service?

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    if it's a tb or ts i would pull the timing cover and theck the oil pulp roller bearing and update it if not done. cant say if spiders need checking.

i reached all the check valves, along with bearing updte and also tacked the lower timing pully, fpr, plug wires, water pump, hard start relay, all new fuses replace and suspicious relays, sensors like water and oil temp, thermostat and wire in bullet fuse for hidden hvac fuse and a few other things mainly due to the cars age. those simple things will fail so be proactive and avoid frustration was my thoughts.

rebuilding fuel pump is next along with all new 0wg battery/starter cables and high end terminals. again not major rwlated but age related.

9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    348 or 355?

I'm looking at oil pump tensioners and the OP drive bearing for the 348 too.

sjd

10. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    when you buy a car assume the mileage is a lie. therefore it is a good idea to check the timing chain tensioner and pads and since there is an update using 360 parts the block bearing check is a no brainer since the oil pan and timing cover is off. the bearing is dirt cheap just use the hill bearing from ricambi.

i get my car back in 2 days and well see from the wear of the timing chain oil pump tensioner pads how many miles is actually on my 11k mileage car.

12. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

355 has belt and idler pulleys, not a chain and pads....

13. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    Chris: I hope you will give us a report on the condition of the belts and bearings after the major is complete

Ken

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Except the chain and pad is for the oil pump. Mostly the same on both the 348 and F355 (Mondial t too). ;)

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what if you do 100 miles a year - then is every 10 years to eager?
    :)

Mbutner likes this.
  16. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

My bad, read that as timing chains, m
    Yes I thought of that after my reply, hoped I wouldn't get called on it

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Seems to be an issue that doesn't afflict the F355 as much as the 348. Based on threads here anyway.

RCKSTR likes this.
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There re cars with 25+ years before any service with minimal miles that the components looked fine. This is my opinion
    Assuming a proper service with Hill components and new water pump was done by you:
    If I drove 30K miles in 5 years I would do it no question at 5.
    If I drove 5K in 5 years and was stored is decent climate I would let it ride to 10 years and swap the belt probably about it.

If its new do it regardless.

19. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Well, if you drive 10 miles a year could you do it every 100 years?

Asking for a freind.

BOKE likes this.
  20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's just silly. the upper limit for service is 71.3 years.

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohh also, to get ahead of the theoretical physicists out here, I often confuse uncertainty principle has with the observer effect but in short I think if you don't observe the Ferrari it does not age so yes if you don't look at it you can go 100 years in theory. Of course when your kids do look at it 100 years later the clock spins forward aging it instantly making it more of an academic argument for 100 year service if you don't observe said Ferrari. So you can go 100 years safely until you look at it then you can't all of a sudden. I am not a physicist and I have home some details wrong there but also if you drive really fast time slows down so if you go faster time slows so if you drive really fast all the time you have to calculate that as part of it I do believe. Probably gain a few days there alone, again before a physics chimes in to argue an academic point. I stipulate all that and in the end we wind up with the well tried response of:

With no regard to mileage, anywhere between 3-10 is the window physics will align with observable reality and address mechanical probability of failures. Trending toward the left of the window as finances permit is safer then trending right. Physics aside.

22. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
    On the major on my previous 1995 F355, the mechanic put the camshaft seal in place of the crankshaft seal mistakenly. Year later the crankshaft seal started leaking. The shop agreed to drop the engine again to correct the mistake. Second time around they didn't torque and loctite the camshaft sprocket (pulley) properly and a year later when I had the AC belt changed, the pulley shifted past the sensor and caused engine to shutdown. A different (and much much better) shop did the engine out to re-torque and properly loctite the pulley. The new shop also found allot of mistakes done by the previous shop when doing the engine outs. Moral of the story.... make sure the mechanic at the shop is reputable. The mechanic at the shop which caused the issues was a Ferrari master mechanic. That person was fired prior to my bringing car back. Next guy that didn't torque pulley was a Lambo mechanic, but appears that he had his novice assistant do most of the work. The new shop was fantastic at getting it all sorted prior to the new owner receiving the car.

Nader likes this.
  23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Regarding your first sentence, does a bear **** in the woods? ;)

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, if you want to get quantum mechanics into it, the belts are both broken and not broken all the time the car is not running. It's only when you start the car (observe the condition of the belts) that you know which it is. Schrödinger's Belt! And frankly, the upper can only be defined by when something breaks. Trying to define the upper limit before something breaks requires running a lot of cars until something breaks and doing a statistical analysis and then coming up with a probability distribution. And then hoping that your car is within the statically limit you choose to follow, be it 1 minute or 100 years.

DaisyCutter likes this.
  25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Also there is and is not a cat in your timing belt cover!
    Statistics... We don't need no stinking statistics lol.
    We have FChat observations thus you should both do a major service at 5K and also NOTdo it but it is not until you observe every post until you know. :)