Are 3X8 Prices REALLY Going Up? Value vs Price | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Are 3X8 Prices REALLY Going Up? Value vs Price

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I drove a few 360s and a 430 with intent to purchase when I sold my last 308. I concluded that they were too fast, too powerful to properly enjoy the way I use these cars. When you have to short shift to avoid hitting legal road speeds when in 2nd, all is lost imo.

They may be far better cars, but there's no way I can enjoy them on the country twisty back roads here. I need my hit of 7k revs & click clacking through the gears & a clutch that needs effort along with the smells and engine / transmission noise. The modern cars just don't deliver this degree of tactility.

2. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Agree -
    It’s the analogue feel that I notice when I take my little 208 GT 4 out .
    The 2.0 L V8 like you say needs working , the chassis easily handles the merge power and I ( average bod skill wise ) can easily handle the chassis .
    That’s the fun factor missing on huge Hp cars stuffed with black boxes .Its arguably theses black boxes of “ electrotwackery “ that kills the pleasure .
    Aiming the steeering wheel , feeling it precisely, feeling the throttle cable connect to the carb butterfly’s , imaging the master cylinder apply just enough stopping power to prevent a lock up etc etc .

Oh what a joy to hold a skinny no airbag steering wheel , and sit in a world of zero CEL - check engine lights lighting up the dash like Christmas every time there’s a tantrum with a black box / ECU .

Yup 70,s dare I say it carb cars are getting collectibles now as folks discover the real pleasure of driving .

Ferrari’s also look nice too .

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I never liked the look of the 360/430 for a start; I remember being really appaled when the 360 appeared. And I still don't like their look today, although I accept the spider slightly better than the coupé, but I am far from enthusiastic. I think they are too bulbous and too big; and bland (to me at least). And if I don't like a car visually, then it is absolutely a no-go for me.
    As far as performance go, I do agree indeed: these cars have outgrown the roads of today; heck, even a 328 can get you in serious trouble limitations-wise these days (the limit is now 80km/h, about 50mph here, on the standard roads).

Besides, are 360/430 still "modern cars" nowadays? I mean, the 360 appeared almost 20 years ago...
    Market-wise, should you be enclined to do it, you could actually trade a 328, or a 308QV, for a 360/430 now here: the values are more or less the same; well, should you accept a 360 with the F1 gearbox, you would even be left with some change after the trade.
    I guess you would be able to trade a carbed 308 GTB for a 430 coupé with manual trans (= stick).
    Thanks, but no thanks.

Rgds

4. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    You can have BOTH for the price of a 458 Coupe (me: 328 GTS and F430 Coupe) Nice combo.!

jcurry and Formula Uno like this.
  5. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Do you have a complimentary Hagerty link? I haven't viewed their web sight in a while and they are wanting me to subscribe to get current prices, market news, etc.

Thanks

6. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The visibility is much better in a 308, too.

Btw, my point of origin is the 308, so anything forwards is more modern. Microswitches? No thanks, tactility is all about the inside too ;)

7. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I would take a nice carved 308 over a 430 anyday

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I've owned my QV B for 33 years, my 355 spider for 5 1/2. Seldom drive the 308 anymore. Love it, but I'm not married to it. The 355 is much more enjoyable to drive. Wouldn't mind adding a 360 or 430 but no more room in the garage.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 308/328 is one of those cars that just hits all the right spots. They are old and slow but when you dont have one any more, suddenly you regret not having it. I have had a few ferraris, and the only one that still to this day I think about is my 308. The others are just cars.

Oengus likes this.
  10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Completely agree. if the 458's were in the same cost bracket... then I may be tempted. but the 360 - 430's have just never really done it for me... the 430 is way better looking but still not quite a Classic Ferrari shape. 458's have more curves and sex appeal.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    the 308 series now are like Dino's and 330's... they are both older cars - not fast by todays standards, but just "quick"... all Ferrari's can get you into trouble with the law in terms of speed... but just not in 3.5 seconds... but I'd take a 330GTC or 206 Dino in a heart beat!!!! sadly I'll never be able to afford them any more.

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Unless it’s a CS

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    As long as you like it that is all that matters!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Oengus likes this.
  15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  16. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Maybe not every car, but they list 308 GTS QV (1983,4,5) and of course 328 QV...

17. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I can't think of any Italian car where the facelift is better looking than the original. I don't think there's an exception here. The 430 may be the better car, but the 360 has the purer styling. Just my view. Neither are a patch on the 458. I've also noticed that the modern Ferrari V8s have become so bloated that the traditional Rosso Corsa looks wrong. It's a colour that suits smaller cars, like the 308.

Martin308GTB and Hannibal308 like this.
  18. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I would trade my 328 GTB for a CS. That's about it. :D

-F

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Agree. Pity they didn't produce the 458 with a manual gearbox and a stick, it would have been just perfect to my eye. Well, at least it has saved my wallet...

Rgds

Oengus likes this.
  21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #372 Brian A, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    The revs build so quickly on a modern car I can't help but wonder if it would be impossible to shift quickly enough. The car would constantly be bouncing off of the rev limiter. Still, I would like to discover this for myself. :)

I did see a new Aston Martin the other day with a V12 and a 7 (or 8?) gear manual stickshift.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, you're probably right Brian; but: anyway, pushing the revs at 7.500 rpm in 2nd in the 328, I'm already over the limit of 80 km/h (50 mph) and a dangerous Outlaw; so yes indeed, 458 performance is overkill...
    But as a car, I like the 458 shape and with a manual gearbox, I would be tempted.
    I know that Aston still provide manual gearbox, but for certain "recent" models (the DB9 cabriolet, for instance, if my memory serves me well?) these are extremly difficult to find and command a price supplement...

Rgds

23. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Adding to this, if one chooses to accelerate less quickly to allow for reasonable shift intervals, then one is driving the new car like it is an old car. There would be no point to having additional performance since it would remain unexploited.

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Indeed the additional performance cannot be exploited these days on standard roads; the only place where it is possible is on a track. The days of the "Gran Turismo", as driving a powerful and fast car across a country at a rather high average speed are truly over.
    Those cars (458s, 488s, etc...) make no sense at all at least here, except parading at 5 mph on the Avenue Montaigne (Paris) or Promenade des Anglais (Nice). At the allowed maximum speed of 80 kms/h (50 miles) on standard roads and 130 km/h on highways (= 81 mph) they are still asleep. Do some speeding, you get caught; not only do they take your driver's licence, but they take the car from you and auction it. Better buy at "Dino", if you ask me.

Rgds

308 milano likes this.